Post Your Rig! Must Include a Mark V.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carpdawg said:
Mark Fore...Nice gear...

I have been recently eyeing some Soldanos....Can you describe how the SLO 100 compares to the Mark V?...

Thanks

The SLO is a great meat/potatoes amp. It's very versatile, yet simple to dial in. The mids sit right in the middle of the mix and blends perfectly in a live setting. The FX loop is not great so if I need a straight up Rock amp that I can run dry (with an OCD out front for a little edge), that's what I bring. If the gig is more Metal, I bring the Roadster... everything else is the MarkIV or V now.

As far as its tone goes... it's based on a souped up Marshall, but made with military grade components (the DeYoung transformers, etc.). The depth control mod gives it more low end girth, so this thing can get very heavy too. It sounds great the louder you turn it up. To answer your question, it sounds like a very killer modded Marshall with tons of gain available if you want it.

Hey MarkFore, gotta say im quite jealous of that gear.

Can you elaborate more on the tonal differences between the SLO vs Mark V... im talking the Lead channel of SLO and the crunch / mark 1 /2 /4 /extreme modes?

I would figure the V has as much if not more gain, and is more versitile. but can it get a sound that comes close to the SLO, what bands would you cover with one amp or the other (not necessarily that you do covers, but saying metal and the roadster is very general. for instance metal could be iron maiden , or metallica, or lamb of god, or dimmu borgi)

just trying to get the sound in my head,
thanks

New addition:
newaddition.jpg

dmcguitar said:
Hey MarkFore, gotta say im quite jealous of that gear.

Can you elaborate more on the tonal differences between the SLO vs Mark V... im talking the Lead channel of SLO and the crunch / mark 1 /2 /4 /extreme modes?

I would figure the V has as much if not more gain, and is more versitile. but can it get a sound that comes close to the SLO, what bands would you cover with one amp or the other (not necessarily that you do covers, but saying metal and the roadster is very general. for instance metal could be iron maiden , or metallica, or lamb of god, or dimmu borgi)

just trying to get the sound in my head,
thanks

The lead channel of the SLO is more of a, trying to paint a mental picture, middle of the road/practical tone that sounds good for everything. To me, the Marks are more focussed and just a little bit more specialized for tone. The lead tones in both amps differ in that the SLO is more round and less complex to my ears. My true personality comes through on the Mark's more because I've been playing those since the mid 80's. I was never a Marshall guy and that is what the SLO is more of compared to Mesa's.

Now, you can easily cover Maiden and Metallica, but the Lamb of God stuff you would be wishing for a Mark. I do play a lot of covers and I would use either based solely on what my effects needs are for that gig. If the gig is heavy, but more old Maiden (no f/x) vs. Dream Theater (lots of f/x) I would use the SLO. I have used the SLO in a speed metal band (old Anthrax/old Metallica type of stuff) and the SLO does it very well... I add a bit of the Depth Control (extra Soldano Mod) and it gives it a low end rumble much like a recto. The SLO is not as tight or focussed as the Mark, but I would say that the SLO sounds best at gig volume vs. the Mark's. There is plenty of gain (it goes to 11, but I run it on or below 4 always). It is a well built amp that sounds incredible. I might have this until I die because it is made so well (transferrable lifetime warranty too!).

pollywog said:

nice top on that lp :D maple makes me smile. haha. how do you like the combo so far? i never got to test it loud in the store. would like to crank it (if i ever get it)... :roll:

Thanks, I love the top on that guitar also, its a Les Paul push tone, comes with two sets of interchangeable pickups. The combo is awesome, I use it at 10 watts at home and it sounds great! but when I play with my band I get to crank it at 90 watts. It sounds incredible!

l_ed078aad4f5145a4a04bd9249cc1d481.jpg

no picture??? ...here:
http://1.2.3.11/bmi/c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/111/l_ed078aad4f5145a4a04bd9249cc1d481.jpg

PRS Standard 24 7-String via Audio Technica ATW 1800/1801 wireless system into Lehle Sunday Driver, T.C. Electronic G-System, Mark V head (AAA flamed maple, trans crimson w/ wicker cane #022 (???)) with 2x12 Mesa Rectifier vertical cabinet (AAA flamed maple, trans crimson, wicker cane) with Electro Voice 12L speakers.
all cables are Vovox, all hum-eliminators/DI boxes are Lehles; channel switching via rjm mini amp gizmo

more pictures and songs recorded with a mark V on http://www.myspace.com/retainmusic

DSCF3354.jpg

DSCF3359.jpg

DSCF3358.jpg

my camera and my picture taking skills are awful!!!!

did not feel like getting the pedals out and my eventided h3000 d/se is in a rack as well, but this is the majority of it. i dont really use many pedals anyway.

nothing fancy right now. just got the mark iv head and mark v in today!!! :D

rig 1/2. there's that furman ar-pro again, hanging out down there...
rig9-26-09007.jpg

re-grilled the bogners myself. they have each a weber 12v (like v30), one with a blue dog 50w and another with a 1265, like a g12-65 celestion. the les paul is under construction. i just rewired it (slightly wrong) with a dimarzio liquifire neck. it already had a d sonic in the bridge. ignore the lack of knobs. oh and a box of grapes...
rig9-26-09001.jpg

just kidding. it's a mix of pedals :p it's disorganized right now cause i'm trying to get ready to set up a rack. which i need to order pieces of first, i guess... but i'm in no hurry. i'll just stick with a couple pedals & the mark v for anything show-ish (i.e. impressing my friends with my gear) :wink: but yeah, boss ds-1 keeley modded. might have to just get rid of it cause the iv and v don't need any of that solid-state nonsense :) the boss ch-1, dd-5, and tu-2 staples also. hoping to replace with some good tc electronic gear. er...once the v is paid off :roll:
rig9-26-09.jpg

and the new "cousins"--mark iv medium head and mark v combo. i would say the c90 is less disappointing with the v than with the iv, but i think that's because it's a better amp (yes, i said it...). it's just more tonally versatile. as i said, just got them both off ebay. the iv still has about 4 yr warranty on it. waiting for the paperwork....
rig9-26-09002.jpg

the iv head is immaculate. the shine off the flash is cause it is really that clean. it was spotless out of the box!
rig9-26-09003.jpg

rig9-26-09004.jpg

all i can say is wow...

trying to sell that iv and the ar-pro...see the classifieds: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39697
rig9-26-09005.jpg

"christine" custom soloist with modified body and pretty much everything. pictures don't really do her justice. see this: http://www.onyxforgeguitars.com/C44.html behind is a takamine pre-martin lawsuit dreadnought, like a d-28. 1973 and the electronics still work perfectly. the tone is excellent after all that aging!
rig9-26-09006.jpg

Latest posts

Back