Post your pedalboard

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goestoeleven said:
My opinion is simply that it's a foolish statement to say that "if you need effects to define your tone, you have the wrong amp". Does the Edge of U2 have the "wrong amp" because of his Skrydstrup system, layered delays etc? After 30+ years of playing I get amused by people who boast about how "I only need the Godlike skills in my fingers and plug straight into my one-knob amp". Bottom line...to each his (her) own. I could go on but I think I made my point.

That's cool. I'm not going to defend my position 'cause 1) half the time people say it it's toung and cheek, (which is why it's funny when people get all bent out of shape and start trying to defend their position, particularly after you tell them not to bother), and 2) it's my position, not yours or anyone else's.

Further, I use more than one amp. This one doesn't happen to need FX to get the sound out of it I want. The other one gets effects used with it regularly. Like I said, toung in cheek. You're preaching to the choir.

I've been down the pedalboard route and find this much more convenient:

boss%20gt8.gif

Flame me if you want, but it does everything I need and more from one easily connected and transportable package. I use the 4 cable method and it smokes. And it changes my amp channels too. I love it. Sure you can get boutique pedals for individual effects that sound way better, but most people won't be able to tell and I have as much in this as one boutique pedal costs! Nuno Bettencourt uses a GT-8 too... :D

All this from a simple opinion? I apologize if I have stepped on any toes or insulted anyone. I've gone through a journey that has included the multi-effects route with the XTLive, Tonelab LE going direct, through a DI and through an amp. I've gone the modeling amp route with the Flextone II and Cyber-Twin. I have gone the basic amp and pedals with a Hotrod Deluxe and a wide range of pedals. It wasn't until I took the plunge a bought my Lonestar that I didn't realize how much better my tone was when I relied mainly on my amp. To clarify my opinion, and it is just that, I have come to believe the best tone comes when you get your distortion from the amp. That's what almost all distortion pedals are attempting to emulate (and there are some that do a great job) and for a lot of players they fit what they are looking for. I am not expecting anyone to agree with me nor am I implying that if someone uses pedals that they have poor tone. BTW, and again it's just an opinion, I do not place delays and modulations in with the defining of tone, they shape the tone.

SonOfIAm said:
All this from a simple opinion? I apologize if I have stepped on any toes or insulted anyone. I've gone through a journey that has included the multi-effects route with the XTLive, Tonelab LE going direct, through a DI and through an amp. I've gone the modeling amp route with the Flextone II and Cyber-Twin. I have gone the basic amp and pedals with a Hotrod Deluxe and a wide range of pedals. It wasn't until I took the plunge a bought my Lonestar that I didn't realize how much better my tone was when I relied mainly on my amp. To clarify my opinion, and it is just that, I have come to believe the best tone comes when you get your distortion from the amp. That's what almost all distortion pedals are attempting to emulate (and there are some that do a great job) and for a lot of players they fit what they are looking for. I am not expecting anyone to agree with me nor am I implying that if someone uses pedals that they have poor tone. BTW, and again it's just an opinion, I do not place delays and modulations in with the defining of tone, they shape the tone.

This forum is built on opinions so all opinions are welcome! Tone is a very sensitive topic for some and it is very subjective in it's nature on top of that. What works for some may sound like garbage to others. I agree that an amp's core tone is the most pure and sonically rich, but some amps require more to achieve what the player has in mind as his ideal tone or to increase versatility. Nothing wrong with that! You haven't stepped on any toes. No worries!

This forum is built on opinions so all opinions are welcome! Tone is a very sensitive topic for some and it is very subjective in it's nature on top of that. What works for some may sound like garbage to others. I agree that an amp's core tone is the most pure and sonically rich, but some amps require more to achieve what the player has in mind as his ideal tone or to increase versatility. Nothing wrong with that! You haven't stepped on any toes. No worries!

Thank you :oops:

MusicManJP6 said:
I've been down the pedalboard route and find this much more convenient:

boss%20gt8.gif

Flame me if you want, but it does everything I need and more from one easily connected and transportable package. I use the 4 cable method and it smokes. And it changes my amp channels too. I love it. Sure you can get boutique pedals for individual effects that sound way better, but most people won't be able to tell and I have as much in this as one boutique pedal costs! Nuno Bettencourt uses a GT-8 too... :D

No flames here! I sold my pedals and got a GT-6 years ago. If playing was my day job, it might be fun to be always trying boutique effects. But it ain't, and...well, very few people tell me my tone sucks.

Besides, I like it. :D

OK, this is my third post in this thread... Anyway, here's the latest incarnation of my board.

Pedalboard_050309a.jpg

I can't stuff any more pedals on this one... Time for something bigger maybe?? :)

-K

kennslp,

Nice to see that Carbon Copy setup for some slapback! :wink:

You've got three pedals on there I'm considering - BB preamp, OCD, decimator

Can you provide feedback on the BB and the OCD? I'm looking for two overdrives - one to slam the gain channel, and one for some dirt in the clean channel. How do these two stack up in these scenarios?

Do you have the decimator out front or in the loop? Have you tried it in both scenarios?

Lol, yeah, the Carbon Copy is for short delays, and the DD-2 is for longer ones. Works pretty well. At practice last week I started using the CC in "Stone in Love" (Journey song), and when I started the intro, my bass player couldn't beleive how huge it sounded.

Regarding the overdrives, here's how I use them:

Stiletto channel 1 w/ no pedals: Clean to light crunch (adjusted w/ guitar's volume).
" " " w/ BB pre: My main dirty rhythm tone. Smooth, creamy OD (sometimes w/ EQ adjustments)
" " " w/ OCD: Slightly higher gain OD w/ a bit more "bite". When I need more "crunch", less "cream"
" " " w/ both: When I want to really push the BB for a searing overdrive. Mostly for solo's.
Stiletto channel 2 /w no pedals: Tite Gain pushed pretty hard. Gain knob @75% ;80's Metal, think JCM 800 territory
" " " /OCD : Over-the-top distortion. Really pushes the Stiletto close to modern-rock territory w/ EQ adjustments. I also use it for high gain solo's (as a boost) on channel 2. I think the OCD really works well here.

I make good use of both pedals. I mainly use the OCD w/ high gain amp settings, it's EQ curve seems to work best w/ my amp for that type of thing. The BB is smoother, which is fine, but a bit less effective at higher gain. But it shines at lower gain.

Also, keep in mind that the various OCD's sound a bit different (from what I am told). Mine is v.1, which has the reputation as being a bit spiky in the high end. I don't think so, but it's something to consider.

I didn't mention the hyper pak. Well, it's new to the board, so I am still playing with it a bit. (you didn't ask abot that one anyway...lol).

-K

Oops, forgot about the decimator. It's the first pedal in the effects loop. Does what it does well. I've never tried it out front, perhaps I should. I have found that it has trouble w/ varying degrees of gain. Works great @ high gain, but at low gain it needs to be re-adjusted. Maybe putting it out front will help with that....

-K

lord of the strings said:
Pedal board
016ewf.jpg

On amp
013ekn.jpg

wow you certainly do like drive pedals!

Now the question is...how much buzz and hiss was going on in your amp with all them being turned so we could see the pretty LED's? haha :)

Latest posts

Back