Please Help papaw get this lonestar classic to performance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i put in a SRO went through hell and high water .. thought id arrived into boogie heaven and on my second night after bragging on my new/used amp.. My second channel started pulsing and became very noisy ..so much the club owner came up and said something.. ugh.. It doesn't happen until about the 3rd set so about after being on 3 hours it starts.. Should i replace preamp tubes in gain with 12AX7s ? there are already in V3 V2 V5 when i bought it used. I want the best sound i can get im happy with the clean channel one ( who wouldn't be) I like to use channel 2 for solo over drive use.. I thought this amp wouldn't be hard to tweak.. Should i use hard by pass or no ? I am not using the effects loop for my effects return but i like having use of the solo switch. I want this baby to use all it's goodies ( big over driven solo sound but i want to be able to balance between the two without switching to CH 2 and hearing Buzz static after three hours on playing.. I just want this amp to do it's thing so i can do mine .. I'll be 54 saturday and this is a gift to myself.. Help wise friends of boogie world .. Thanks in advance.

Well.... when I buy used amps, I expect to have to change all tubes. It sounds like a preamp tube gone bad but I would just replace em all and you know you have a good gig worthy amp. You could try just swapping V1 and V2 and see if it fixes the gain channel. If it fixes it, I would trash those 2 tubes and replace the rest also. Save the old ones you didnt trash as spares in case you have an other problem at a gig and you could swap tubes in a pinch

Thanks for the advice .. I ordered a complete retube from the JJ experts (standard) I look forward to getting this amp working correctly.

Well i found my singing gain in channel 2.. It's using the 10 watt setting and i still can't get it past 9 oclock on the master.. wow .. is it normal for the solo volume knob to affect the over all volume when not in use and the amp is in by pass mode ? since i put the JJ's in it's no longer giving me a fit. thanks

Glad you got your channel 2 back working right. If you have the FX loop bypassed, the solo knob should not effect the overall volume of the amp. They should do nothing even if the solo switch is hit on the foot pedal.

Latest posts

Back