Picked up an early Mark III...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Seems real early: SR12, no stripe, CP10 circuit board dated 1984, SN: 150XX, white tolex with leather corners secured with horse shoe nails, Build date 4/85. Got some bulging caps and smells like it needs service. It’s going back to Cali as soon as I can get a RMA. Pics coming...

Just realized I didn’t throw my question into the post. Quick one:

Did the MkIII production really start at 15000?

Thanks!

Yep. Well, the numbers are not in sequence, they jump around, the date inside is your best estimate as to when it was made.

Sharpie date on the chassis is “4/85”.
Sent it to Petaluma 2 days ago. Powered up fine and everything glowed, but no sound. Tried all the obvious stuff to no avail. Had a fried pre-amp tube (tip broken with white scorching inside). Looked untouched inside the chassis, so it needed servicing anyway. Looking forward to what I get back!

For the R2 mod Mike B. installs a volume pot for the Rhythm 2 channel. This gives you 3 usable channels. I had Mike install the pot on the underside of the chassis of my SRG's.

I had Mike B. install a pentode/triode switch on my 3+ Blue Stripe SRG. It drops the wattage down to around 15 watts and softens the attack. The 3+ mod makes the amp smoother and closer to a c+.

Got my Mark III back last week and have to say that it sounds great! Got the R2 mod and now have 3 balanced and useful channels; got a full “going over”, got the reverb fixed, and got a friendly follow-up email from Mike B explaining everything he did in detail. Great customer service, great sounding amp! Almost unheard of in this day and age.

Sending my Mark IIB back as soon as I get my RMA #. Thinking of the effects loop mod for that amp, but don’t want to change it’s sound too much. Any advice on what that might do to the sound?

His vids are super informative. I think I’ve watched them all twice.
The more I research, the more I think the loop mod isn’t really what I need because:

1. I don’t want more gain.
2. I don’t want to sacrifice any clean tone.
3. I can balance both channels pretty well.
4. I like the IIB as is, so if the service gets it to a better version of what I already have; that’d be **** near perfect for what I do.

Still waiting to hear back from Mike B. to confirm which way to go. Hopefully Monday so Garey can give me the RMA and I can get it headed cross-country.

Latest posts

Back