*PIC* Just bought a Mark IIB!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
I recently had those other threads on here wondering about all the Caliber amps, but I went ahead and went for the ol' Mark.

Why do I never hear any talk about the other Mark II's? I think a lot of people overlook them because of the reputation of the IIC+. Many probably just assume that all the Mark II's leading up to the C+ were ridden with problems or don't sound good.

Any Mark IIB fans around here?

Here it is:

DSC00093.jpg

Pull the chassis once, and then put it back so the faceplate doesn't come in conflict with the tolex.
It will look so much better, other than that it looks great. very few scratches on the eq section.

What power section does it have?

A IIB fan here!
You`re right, its not that hyped as the C+. Also its a different beast.
Sounds great but not the same. The B is more fitted for Rock and Hard-Rock
to my taste.

In my opinion the cleans of the IIB are a bit better than on the C+.

I just got mine back from service yesterday, it got a recap-job and the bias-mod. Now it
sounds so "fresh" again. I also spend it a new "house". :)

Looks and sounds like new now. Here it is:

MIIbHead.jpg

MkIIb SGX

While the IIC+ was made famous by metal players, the I and II pre c+ were made famous by the Stones. Some of their 77 tour all of 81 and for a few tours after that the Boogie II in a 180 watt config. were all over their backline. Look at the movie Let's Spend the Night Together" all boogie I or II. Great amps. How about Some Girls Boogie I all the way. In fact The Stones might be more responsible for Boogies success than any other band or artist including Santana.

The Stones are why I bought Boogies.

Oh and congrats on the new amp.

angus.jpg

2 MKIIB coli's from AEROSMITH ... and together with the MKIIC+ coli a solid wall of 18 415's ... :twisted:

definitely agree ! a killer amp for the early 80ies !

That looks like the Stones complete backline right in your living room. I love Aerosmith (i put a complete stereo system in mr talarico's house back in the day) and they were always Stones apers looks, drugs and amps too.

thx ! its amazing how playing an old SG gets you that AC/DC vibe ... :) ... and amazing as well how close you get tonewise through an old boogie !

CONGRATS!!!

yes, you'll love your 2b.

here's mine, i bought in '81, while i was full time touring.....
i wanted what i thought was the best at the time, and this sucker has NEVER failed me.

tonemachine.jpg

Wow! Lot of Mark IIB love here! Great to see.

I will be using this amp to play jazz/funk/fusion so I don't think I could have picked a better one. Between the input from all of you and the HC reviews I've been reading, sounds like it will be a keeper. It should arrive by the end of the week.

tony777 said:
What power section does it have?

Non-simulclass w/ 60/100 switch.

Still kicking myself for selling my IIB many years ago.
An overlooked classic in the Mesa line imho.
I really wanted a 100 w eq and reverb.This amp looks like
what I needed.....Nice score ,Enjoy!

KRAUT said:
A IIB fan here!
You`re right, its not that hyped as the C+. Also its a different beast.
Sounds great but not the same. The B is more fitted for Rock and Hard-Rock
to my taste.

In my opinion the cleans of the IIB are a bit better than on the C+.

I just got mine back from service yesterday, it got a recap-job and the bias-mod. Now it
sounds so "fresh" again. I also spend it a new "house". :)

I've never had a hard time playing Metal or Punk with any Mark Series Boogie. Though the Mark 1 I originally had was real muddy.

**** y'all have some kick *** rigs ! very nice :mrgreen:
how much difference in sound is there between the IIb and the IIc?
i had considered upgrading to c+ but **** my IIc sounds great...

im thinking my next buy is going to be a IIb

I loved my Mark IIB! I played a 60W head in the late 80's and early 90's. Had to sell it to pay for a Mark IV upgrade many moons ago. Really wish I had held on to it.

I loved the IIB I used to have too. Sadly, I traded it for a Nomad 100 head for some reason, and have regretted it ever since.

mkiib1.jpg

-dave

I have a transitional 60w 2b head ( black control knobs) converted from a combo and its my main amp for gigs. Has a superb clean tone (really warm round and punchy) and a nice lead channel(more suitable for rock than metal....but hey that,s perfect for me). Unfortunately foot switching isn,t an option on this amp as the shared tone controls don,t sound good switching from clean to lead mode and compromising settings on an amp this good for foot switching turns a great amp into well an average sounding amp at best! I use this amp clean with a pedal board up front and boy does this amp love pedals(still get loads of great comments on my live tone) I sold this amp twice!! but bought her back again this is a very loud , powerfull and well built tone machine thats still going strong 26 years on!

I have a 60 watt MKIIB and I love it. It can get very classic rock/heavy rock sounds without the "chainsaw guitar" sound. With the shared EQ, I only sacrifice a little when I switch to cleans, not really even an issue when playing live, I just turn down my volume knob on the guitar and its perfect. Very nice amp, a buddy of mine who works at GC said to hold on to it, its likely to be a collectors amp in the future. Apparently only about 1400 were made.

Latest posts

Back