Opinions on Parker Fly?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't care for any of their products.. but that's just me.

In my opinion they lack 'soul' or 'vibe' if that makes sense..

My opinion: They're versatile, but don't seem to do any one thing great. Just good. They are very light, and can get some killer tones, but I agree with Platypuss...they lack "soul" and "vibe". I know that is not a factor that can be easily explained, but if you've heard a guitar with it, you know what I mean.

The Parkers I have seen all have had great workmanship, but they're just not for me.

RB

I own a Parker Fly Classic, and have a Fly Mojo on the way.

I love my Classic. Its playability and weight are unmatched, which are my prime reasons for enjoying it. It can wear many hats and is extremely versatile, while remaining distinctly unique tonally.

I own a Parker Nitefly (the USA bolt on, not the import P series). It isn't a set neck like the more expensive Parkers, but it does share some of the same characteristics such as the stainless steel frets, carbon/glass composite fretboard, and Parker designed bridge.

I find the ss frets make bending easier. I've heard complaints that the ss frets decrease string life, but I haven't noticed a big difference. The Parker designed trem is very stable, it works better than most trem bridges I've tried. All the USA Parkers that I've played or seen have been very nice, none seemed low quality (I have not tried any of the P series).

I've never owned a set neck Parker, but I have tried them. They are lighter than the Nitefly and feel very different. Though the outline is the same, the set neck bodies have much more extreme cutaways. Most other guitars (including the Nitefly) feel like slabs in comparison. They do feel very strange, this is probably why many players feel that they lack the "vibe" they are used to from other guitars. A set neck Parker would take some getting used to.

I have a Parker Fly Classic and it is amazing.Best guitar I have played, I don't understand the lack of vibe comment but oh well.The guitar has GREAT playability, the SS frets and carbon glas epoxy fingrboard really do make bends and vibrato very smooth.People who say the SS frets wear out strings must be on something.If anything it would increase string life since it is so smooth and never gets worn out.When I break strings it is always near the bridge, never over a fret.

I feel the neck pickup tone could be better though, it has a very boomy sound.Playing the lower strings(mainly just E) in neck pickup just sounds like bass heavy mud.But with the higher strings it sounds fine.Plus the guitar is very light which is very nice.I am tired of playing logs.I played a Jackson Warrior before I got my Parker, talk about a weight difference!

Valtyr:
Yeah the Nitefly does feel a bit big when you are used to the Fly.I had a Nitefly-M and it was a great guitar.Natural mahogany too, very nice looking.But they are definately different.The main thing I dont like about the Nitefly is that it doesnt have 24 frets and the heel is kind of big.Other than that though I loved it.My friend has a Nitefly-SA which has the humbucker and 2 single coils.His needs some work though, looks like it was dropped down a flight of stairs a dozen times or so.It sounds very tinny too, the electronics are all bass ackwards and I think the piezo is always on.

I used to own a Fly Classic, and while I loved the acoustic tones and the lightness, I couldn't stand the upper horn poking into my ribcage and it lacked the punch of my PRSi in electric mode. I know the some of the newer ones have switched to Duncans from Dimarzios, but I haven't heard one. IMO, they lacked the sustain that a traditional solidbody gives you. Very cool concepts, though. I just couldn't get into it and sold mine for another PRS. Just my .02 cents!

The newer Classics switched to a different type of Dimarzio that apperantly sounds better, but I don't know since I haven't played it.
I also hated that horn poking me but after awhile of playing it never did it anymore, I must hold it different now.

The main thing I hate about Parker is the fact that they seem to have alot of piezo problems, usually the board going bad.I planned on replacing mine since it also went bad but apperantly they dont sell it anymore which isn't forgivable.The switch and knob layout sucks on them too.Volume knob right by your picking hand so it is very easy t bump it and they turn very easy so if youre playing and it sounds like youve lost your gain and tone you know why.Then the pickup switch is behind all 4 knobs and it is a hard little bugger to switch.I ended up extending it with a ball point pen casing which helps alot. :lol:

Latest posts

Back