Old Rectifiers over priced??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
So i have been looking for a non reborn dual rectifier about 2004 2006ish for a backup or to start a B rig but all the ones I see are aboout 900-1300$. I have seen single recs that sound awful foing for 850$ at guitar center whats going on? Any single rec should cost no more then 600$ and an 04 dual shouldn't cost more then 800$ because you have to retube it and possibly look into changing the caps because 2004 is almost 10 years ago right? So let me know what you guys think this is very confusing to me especially since the new recs seem to be selling well.

The caps should last 20 years.

Ultimately it is what the market will bear. If they are asking too much, nobody will buy. I routinely offer less than asked based on my belief of what gear is worth, or what it's worth to me, and sometimes it's accepted. I know that I can't seem to sell good gear these days at any price. Nobody has money.

Guitar center sucker prices and then rolls off after 60 days. That is from 2 guys I know that work at the GC's inthe Atlanta area. They have the date brought in the store on the price tag for instant bargaining.

Don't pay more than you want to.

well unfortunately right now I'm playing bass in my band but I'm still looking to possibly get another 3 channel anyway I'll wait to see if they come down after Christmas I just bought a crate stealth even though it is a cheap amp it's pretty awesome I'll probably be into that for a while

Personally, I like to shop around for a while before I actually buy something expensive like an amp head. I ended up getting my 3-channel DR for quite a bit cheaper at a Starving Musician just because I knew that they had it on the floor for quite a while, and at quite a high price. My offer was fair and meant that they'd move it right away...so they gave it to me :) Plus I wasn't a total jerk about it, which I'm a firm believer is the best way to approach any haggling/bargaining.

I completely agree I think I'm going to wait till after Christmas also because I think thats why prices are raised

well, lemme know when you find all the $600 single rectos. :lol: i`ve come find things are worth what someone will pay, not what someone thinks its worth.

I'm always browsing GC Used, EBAY, and Craigslist. The best deals I've seen on old Recs were on Craigslist.

GC Used pages often have great deals on older stuff. For example, I bought a Mesa 295 simul-class for $319 a few years back. Heartbreakers, Mavericks, F-series, and DC stuff can be had for pretty good prices on GC Used. Can't say I've seen any good deals on old Recs though.

Good luck & stay patient.

lailer75 said:
well, lemme know when you find all the $600 single rectos. :lol: i`ve come find things are worth what someone will pay, not what someone thinks its worth.

I bought a used single for $625 online from GC last year. I don't know what was wrong with it, but it sounded absolutely horrendous. I've never heard an amp make the blood curling sounds that came out of that amp. I promptly drove it back and returned it. The manager told me he was kinda upset that I returned it just because it meant that he'd either have to pay money to have it fixed, or risk someone else just returning it He said he'd end up putting it on the floor anyways just to see if someone liked the 'slightly off' sound that it made.

It was definitely a deal that was too good to be true.

Two-Channel heads seem to go for $900 - $1100 for a stock head on eBay. I bought one and modified it and am currently trying to sell it, but I'm also trying to get paid for my mod, so it's much more. The good news is that it probably won't sell for a while so I get to play it in the meantime!

GC Used is a pretty good deal from time to time, but you have to watch it constantly and be quick.

Latest posts

Back