ok guys so whats the best

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearlpitts

Reaction score
tubes for my mark iii purple stripe-been reading alot about how important the right ones are and old tubes not being there best anymore and am sure mine are quite old-whats best 6l6/s for this modal and best 12ax7/s?-100 watt head.

Email doug @ dougstubes.com. It depends on the style of music and what you're looking to get out of it. Or try the guys at Eurotubes. I've used Doug and he's quite responsive. I'm sure they will be much more helpful than me.

ok-but i would think the people that actually use them would really know best- i play in a classic-modern rock band-rock that people love and like to dance too some examples are -born to be wild-sweet emotion-dirty deeds-tush etc..

If your old tubes are the original Sylvanias, play them until they go out in a "blaze of glory". Then replace them with SED =C= or more Sylvanias. A Weber Bias-Rite is money well spent as far as matching tubes in these amps. 8)

Heh heh, be happy to take those old crappy tubes off your hands, heh heh.
Why, I'll even pay the postage.

There are no "best" tubes. They all sound a little different depending on what amp you use them in. One tube might sound great in one amp and not so good in a different amp. I like the Ruby tubes Doug sells for my el34 and 6l6's. I'm a big fan of nos for pre-amp tubes so that's all I use but it can get costly. If I wasn't using nos I would just use the tubes Doug suggests on his site or maybe mesa tubes for the 12ax7's.

i have used Doug several times in the past. your best bet is to call him. tell him the sounds you want. he has several suggestions of pre-amp configurations based on the harshness or sweetness of tone you might be looking for. He's done this many times and has an ample supply of tubes to mix and match.

well on further looking i noticed my 2 tubes on outsides are the sylvinia but the 2 in middle are peavey-i play mostly on half power,is that using the inside tubes? and if so i assume its fine to put the sylvinias on the inside?

dearlpitts said:
well on further looking i noticed my 2 tubes on outsides are the sylvinia but the 2 in middle are peavey-i play mostly on half power,is that using the inside tubes? and if so i assume its fine to put the sylvinias on the inside?

There is a such thing as a Sylvania with Peavy label. Some pictures will clear things up. Half-power uses the outer tubes on your amp. LET IT RIP!

JOEY B. said:
dearlpitts said:

There is a such thing as a Sylvania with Peavy label. Some pictures will clear things up. Half-power uses the outer tubes on your amp. LET IT RIP!
ok will get some pics up-but have a gig tonite and painting bathroom tomorrow-but will get to it-if by any chance anyones on the central coast-band will be playing at shaws in santa maria tonite 7-28-12 10-130 am.

You will get a bunch of opinions on tubes.

You can google tube tone and find a bunch of folks talking about the different tone certain tubes have. My mesa tubes get great tone for me.

Look at the mesa tubes, they are good.

I retubed a marshall amp and bought tubes from here: http://www.kcanostubes.com

I would definitely buy from these guys again. Very nice to deal with. And if I were to recommend some awesome tubes it would be the NOS JAN Philips they have. They are great tubes.

I have quite a few nos tubes here and quite a few current production tubes here to try out. Seems I have changed tubes in my mark III more times than I care to imagine. Right now I am very happy with what I am running and I think the combination makes sense with this amp.
This is what I'm using now
v1 - nos rca blackplate 5751 -tried this tube in different amps, different spots without being very impressed until I tried it here with the combination of other tubes it sounds stellar!
v2 - nos tungsol 12ax7 love this tube, probably works better in more applications than any other tube I have ever used. A great choice for v2, if I had another one I'd probably use it for v4.
v3 - nos mullard 12ax7 i62 -great tube for the overdrive spot, rft 12ax7 is another favorite I like for here.
v4 - mesa 12ax7 -perfectly adequate for the reverb spot, at least for me since I rarely use the reverb lol!
v5 - sovtek 12ax7lp -I have tried tons of tubes in the PI spot and keep coming back to this one. a 12at7 is another option but kinda changes the feel of the amp, might be preferred by some but the sovtek is the one I like with this combination.

I know nos tubes can get expensive and not everyone likes using them. Personally I love them, and they seem to sound much better than most current tubes. If i was on a tight budget I would at least start with the sovtek 12ax7lp (current production) for v5, pick up a mullard or rft for v3, and try to score a nice nos tube for v1 when I could afford one.

Latest posts

Back