ocd users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're going to buy an OD, look at Xotic (RC/AC/BB) if you can (http://www.xotic.us/effects/ac_plus/index.html). I find they don't color the tone, but add the gain. Although, you might like the tone color you get from other pedals. The difference b/w RC/AC/BB is the amount of gain provided, from low to high. Was just in Nashville and saw a lot of RC/AC's on effects boards, sometimes both. These were all serious guitar players doing this for a living, and it wasn't just country music. They were kicking out some blistering music.

Chriz,
I checked out the OCD because I was looking to improve my sound a little. It did and the pedal is awesome. In the music store I tried it out on a RoadKing, but I have a 2 channel Dual Rectifier. Play metal, not death metal, but heavy music, with leads. What it did to the tone was add a low thump and tighten up the lows. You know that sound you get when you can palm mute the high strings and it still has a chunk/thump to that? This pedal helped that out, if that makes any sense. Helped sustain and bite and really helps it cut through. After reading on this board about how good it is, that's why I decided to check it out. A lot of people have the gain all the way down, and the level all the way up. Sounds weird, but that's how I have it set, or the level set at about 3:00. I can't understand why someone would pay $2000 for an amp, and then use the distortion from a pedal. This setting will push your amp harder and improve/increase the saturation. Boosting the level like that will not increase your volume on a distorted setting, just pushes it more. However, on a clean channel, it will boost your volume a lot since clean settings are a lot more dynamic than a distorted tone which is more compressed. I was a little concerned about doing that and called Mesa to ask if that would hurt the amp by putting such a hot signal into the front end, and they said "no".
Steve,
I did compare it to the Fulldrive 2 and it was close. I don't think I would have been disappointed with the Fulldrive, but I liked the OCD more. To me, the OCD on LP sounded more like the Fulldrive pedal, but then switch the OCD to HP and it added a tighter feeling. To me, the Fulldrive low end sounded flubby and unfocused compared to the OCD.

I built my own circuit that has similarities to both the OCD and the BB preamp in that it has a little more transparency than the v4 OCD, but it also adds in the great assymetrical clipping with a germanium diode that generates those even-order harmonics that make controlled feedback such a fun part of playing the electric guitar with distortion. However, I designed the circuit so that the more gain I dial in, the more percentage of that signal runs through the germanium clipping circuit in addition to MosFETs.

Additionally, some folks love the fact that the OCD gives you plenty of bass response, and some folks prefer the more typical TS-808 sound with less bass. I chose not to decide. Instead, I put the bass on a pot that lets me add it in to taste depending on what amp I might be playing through at the time. I also changed the frequency response so that the bass I do get is centered around 120 Hz as opposed to 220 Hz like the OCD.

To sum up, I get transparency if I want 30dB of clean boost. I get OCD-sounding MosFET distortion if I want it. I get even-order harmonic content on top of that if I want it. If I want full bass response, I get it. If I want to tighten up the bass, I get it. For those adventurous enough to try, I recommend learning how to make your own dream pedals.

Sorry, axman53, but it's not available as freeware. I make custom orders and sell my products on a limited basis, but I don't give 'em away for free. I'm not plugging my own stuff here so much as illustrating what can be done and encouraging folks to possibly familiarize themselves with the fun and excitement of learning to mod/build their own pedals as another alternative.

Chris McKinley said:
I'm ... illustrating what can be done and encouraging folks to possibly familiarize themselves with the fun and excitement of learning to mod/build their own pedals as another alternative.

Cool. I'm an electronics tech from way back, started out in life as a radio and TV repairman in the golden age of vacuum tubes. So if I wanted to get back into this sorta thing, building my own pedals, where would I start? As far as designing stuff, well I never was an engineer, so I'd have to get a schematic from somewhere. Any pointers would be welcome, and a link to your own web site if you have one. Thanks.

Well first of all NO pedal beats the distortion from the amp itself unless the amp just sounds horrible.

I use the OCD for overdrive and a Tubescreamer.......I like the TS9 much more for soloing and the OCD more so to add a little extra mojo to rhythm playing.

axman53 said:
Chris McKinley said:
I'm ... illustrating what can be done and encouraging folks to possibly familiarize themselves with the fun and excitement of learning to mod/build their own pedals as another alternative.

Cool. I'm an electronics tech from way back, started out in life as a radio and TV repairman in the golden age of vacuum tubes. So if I wanted to get back into this sorta thing, building my own pedals, where would I start? As far as designing stuff, well I never was an engineer, so I'd have to get a schematic from somewhere. Any pointers would be welcome, and a link to your own web site if you have one. Thanks.

google the following:

build your own clone
runoffgroove
diystompboxes
geofex
tonepad

That should be more than enough to keep you busy for a while.

axman53 said:
brianf said:
What tone are you tring to get? I have more than 75 O/D pedals. I should be able to help you. I would be happy to help out.
brianf

Hey, Brian. I'd love you to jump into the thread I created to discuss this topic here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=30199

Looking forward to your input. Thanks. tom c

I'll post on that thread tomorrow for sure. Heading off for some sleep now!!!!

brianf

axman53 said:
brianf said:
What tone are you tring to get? I have more than 75 O/D pedals. I should be able to help you. I would be happy to help out.
brianf

Hey, Brian. I'd love you to jump into the thread I created to discuss this topic here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=30199

I'll post on that thread tomorrow for sure. Heading off for some sleep now!!!!

brianf

axman53 said:
brianf said:
brianf

Latest posts

Back