Not satisfied with Mark 5... is Electra Dyne the ticket?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YellowJacket said:
Birdy, I LOVE that Marshall 4 x 12! Did you get rid of your ED combo? I recall at one point you had a 2 x 12 combo for cleans and then that other beast for your gain tones!

I agree about the 'right guitar' / 'high quality pickups'. My one guitar is a big fat hunk of mahogany with a bolt on neck, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the Neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. It tears!! MANY TIMES! AMAZING clean and really great / versatile crunch tones.

My Gibson Les Paul has Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. It sounds GREAT!

Both guitars have upgraded electronics. The ED is a picky amp but it is an awesome one. Definitely feels like me!

Hey YJ. The cab/Greenbacks just brings the whole ED thing to light.

To steal a favourite quote about a rug...." It really ties the room together. " LOL.
lebowski_rug.jpg

I got rid of the combo a while back. It was great for the cleans with the V30s but I'm
a Greenback guy at heart.
One day very soon I'm going to either ;

(a) Pick up a 1x12 ED combo and Scumback it.
(b) Build an aged tweed cab 1x12 combo shell for my '66 Bassman head and run it with my Hotplate.

*edited to ad.....I won't be gettin' rid of my ED/Marshall setup !

I agree with YJ. I have 2 Ibanez RG guitars. One has Blaze pickups and sounds wonderful with the Dyne. The other has an evo and is painfully harsh thru the Dyne.

Birdy said:
Hey YJ. The cab/Greenbacks just brings the whole ED thing to light.

To steal a favourite quote about a rug...." It really ties the room together. " LOL.
lebowski_rug.jpg

I got rid of the combo a while back. It was great for the cleans with the V30s but I'm
a Greenback guy at heart.
One day very soon I'm going to either ;

(a) Pick up a 1x12 ED combo and Scumback it.
(b) Build an aged tweed cab 1x12 combo shell for my '66 Bassman head and run it with my Hotplate.

*edited to ad.....I won't be gettin' rid of my ED/Marshall setup !

I could see how the Greenback 4 x 12 would be epic, especially if you aren't running the volume much past 12:00 or 1:00 with PAF style pickups. Both my neck pickups are over 14k so they are pretty hot for passives. For the styles I play, I prefer the clarity and articulation of a v30 and c90, especially in a 2 x 12. If I had a strong back, a loud band, a proper income (music student, here), and a big house, I'd probably have the 1960ax cab with a Stiletto cab beside it.

elvis said:
I agree with YJ. I have 2 Ibanez RG guitars. One has Blaze pickups and sounds wonderful with the Dyne. The other has an evo and is painfully harsh thru the Dyne.

Ya. My Godin LG is #1 through the Electra Dyne while the Gibson LP is better with the Recto. The Gibson still sounds like a monster with both amps but it always sounds like a LP. The Godin LG is a chameleon by comparison. It plays so many styles convincingly that it is, without question, the ultimate gigging guitar.

JOEY B. said:
TremoJem said:
Hey I am not arguing with you...

Yes, you are. Play the other offerings from MESA, and come back with an "informed" opinion. It may not be any different, but that's okay too.

No I'm not, It just got a little confusing between the YJ post and yours.

Everyone is different, and relying on vids/clips and postings can't replace hands on comparison.

That is my next step.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

TremoJem said:
JOEY B. said:
TremoJem said:
Hey I am not arguing with you...

Yes, you are. Play the other offerings from MESA, and come back with an "informed" opinion. It may not be any different, but that's okay too.

No I'm not, It just got a little confusing between the YJ post and yours.

Everyone is different, and relying on vids/clips and postings can't replace hands on comparison.

That is my next step.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

The Old 2 Channel Duals are interesting beasts. The "Channel Cloning" feature is not 'spot on'. IE, while the two channels can replicate each other's voicings they are not identical to one another.

The Orange Channel is more smooth and elastic whether it is in Vintage or Modern mode. I believe you have access to a 'blues mode' with the tremoverb? I played my friend's tremoverb 2 x 12 combo and I don't remember it being that different from my Rev F head.

The Red channel is weird. When running in the Vintage mode, the presence from the red and orange channel BOTH affect this mode at different frequencies. (the Orange Channel presence also acts on the orange channel as well)

I **personally** think a serviceable lead tone can be dialed in with 'Red to Vintage' and it is one I am happiest with. I just notice that the feel is different on the Orange channel, and in a subtle way.

I agree with your statement.

I worked with this over the weekend and am not happy in Bold and Silicon mode or at least not settled on it.

I switched back to Spongy/Tube mode and cloned to Vintage on the Red channel and am trying to work with it again.

I think that the Red channel on Modern is more open and of course bottom heavy.

It seems to have a wider frequency range.

I do not remember having such a muddy tone using the Red channel when cloned to Vintage.

I will say that I have thought that I might need a cap upgrade.

I might consider this more as I continue to experiment.

The amps are 2000-2001.

I am also considering changing out all the pots and while I am in there I might as well replace all the LDRs'.

I found a schematic of the Tremoverb at FreeSociety and saw this note at the bottom...interesting isn't it.

mesaboogietremoverb6.jpg

Coming from a guy who made a switch from an ED to the Mark V it's very difficult to to achieve lead tones anywhere close to the V. The Electra Dyne is a crunch machine and if that's what you're looking for go that route, otherwise stay with the Mark V. I get some GREAT Marshall-esc tones out of the edge setting, it just takes some tweaking. The ED packs a punch, but it's still elastic vs percussive. The Mark is incredibly tight, not to say the Ed isn't responsive, it is, but not like the mark. I'm very happy with the Mark V and I haven't looked back, another option could be the Royal Atlantic, I feel it has elements of the Mark, ED, and Recto. It's a killer amp that has some great lead tones!

JOEY B. said:
[I owned a 2-channel Triple Rec for many years, so I'm not talking sh!t that I don't know. Mark I, Mark IIB, IIC+, Mark III, Mark IV, LSC, LSS, Stiletto Ace, Triple Rec, Electra-Dyne, Royal Atlantic, I have owned them all. Most were bought used, so I didn't take a beating if and when I sold them. It's not the fact that any of them have bad tone, but some are voiced for easier lead playing. Go try them, you'll see what I mean. 8)

Out of all the Mesa amps you've owned, which one - in your opinion - is the best voiced for punchy, sustained and singing solo leads?

Latest posts

Back