Nomad-45 or DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgh

Reaction score
I am looking for something that I can take to church and leave for when I need it. Right now I am carrying my MarkIV widebody back and forth.

I have done a good bit of reading on both the Nomad-45 and the DC-3. On paper, they both sound pretty nice. And they both sound like they could do what I need (which is something close to what my MarkIV gives me).

I know that neither one is a true Mark, but they both sound very interesting.

Is there anybody who has had (or still has) both and can provide a comparison of the two?

Thanks in advance.

I've owned all 3 amps, I feel the dc3 is closer to the mk4 in regards to gain. The clean channels are similar in both 3 and nomad though I found the clean in the dc3 to b more compressed. Out of all 3 I liked the clean on the 3 the most, but I only own the 4 now. I'll never sell that amp.

+1 to what trickyrick said.
I have owned the DC3 twice for the very reason, IMHO, it resembles the Mark tone. I have not had a Nomad 45 but owned a Nomad 55 head for a while and although I liked the 3 channels, I found using the DC3 with a stomp box gave me pretty much the same thing, 3 different tones, but with a gain wise tone closer to my Mark IV (which weighs in at about 80 lbs). I used both amps in the same place you plan on using yours, church worship band playing contemorary Christian music. The DC3 is more than enough amp power wise, easy to get a killer gain tone out of, pretty lightweight, has a decent clean channel, and uses a series FX loop (which the Nomad by default does not).
My vote is to keep the MKIV just because it is a MK IV and find a nice DC3 for gigs at church. If you want to kick it up a notch, put a Thiele cab under a 1x12 combo and your sound really starts to get BIG!!!
All the Best!! Hope this helps. :D

Time for an update on this issue.

After doing a lot of reading and a lot of research, I had narrowed it down to only a few choices. I found a mint Express 5:50 at GC and ordered it. The amp was in great shape, the cleans were good, the amp was nice. But, it just did not have the sound I was looking for. So I sent it back.

I then found a Nomad 45 1x12 at a different GC and ordered it. It came in and I checked it out. It had a lot of issues (reverb was dead, solo was dead, amp had a hum in all 3 channels, ...). But, the tone was what I was looking for. The manager at GC was extremely nice and helpful. He found a Noamd 45 4x10 that was in mint condition (even included the cover). He threw in a cable and a set of tubes (EL84s) with it, so I placed the order.

I expect it to be here on Wednesday.

I know it is not the same as my Mark IV (which, by the way, I have no intention of getting rid of), but it rounds out what I want. I took my Peavey to church and am using it there. I drag the Mark IV back and forth if there is any special musing going on. The Nomad should augment the others very nicely.

I think you made a good decision as its way more versatile than the Express but the model of Boogie you buy really is dependent on what kind of music you are playing. You said you take it to church? How loud do you play? How saturated do you need the gain to get? The Express series is cool. Super huge and bass-y cleans, but as far as gain goes... it really had to be pretty loud or else the gain sounds kinda harsh and fuzzy. The Nomad 45 is super cool. Gain sounds good at any volume. Somewhat mid heavy but not in a bad way just like the Mark series and DC series. Cleans are nice as well. Hope you like it!

Latest posts

Back