nomad 100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadlover

Reaction score
i was gonna buy the nomad 100 head with some cab yet to be named, then i found the heartbreaker. the nomad has been running at $1000 and i think not bad. he has had for about a year and he dropped it to $855. i'm going there in 9 days or so. i'm most likely going to buy it on the spot.

play them both! side by side if possible. thats the only real way to decide, and that way you'll have no regrets. bring your guitar along, and maybe a few of the effects you have to see how they sound.

i just bought the nomad. i tried them out not too long ago and i thought to myself i liked the nomad and with that price who could resist. go to davesguitar.com under amps you'll see it. :D [/img]

congrats on the new amp. what are you playing it with?

i just bought one too, my nomad 100 1x12 is in the mail, should arrive wednesday.

I played on a Nomad once in a shop. Actually I was trying out a guitar, one of those semi accoustic Ibanez's a I looked for an amp to play with. Saw the Nomad in the corner, offcourse once hooked to a mesa you don't want something else. If you're a bit familiar with mesa you could dial in easily some standard setting. Sounded great ! Offcourse with almost all mesa, they are highly versatile anc lots more sounds could be dialed in.

The guitar was also fine though. :D

I've got the Nomad 100 212. I use it with its own speakers, or with a closed back 412. It really sounds like two different amps this way.

Couldn't find your Nomad at Dave's Guitar, but the Blue Angel 410 they have is SWEEEEET!

those angel 4x10's are heavy as hell, although the tone through those 4 speakers open back is the best i have, and ever will hear. i don't believe a better clean tone exists, i'll never live down trading it in. :cry:

Good purchase on the Nomad.

I've had a 2X12 Nomad 55 for a couple of years now. It's almost ridiculously easy to dial in great sounds on channels one and two, but channel 3 takes some more tweaking.

Here's a couple of things I've found:

1) To me, the amp sounds best with the amps's master volume around 60-75% full (2-3 o'clock). I set the gain I want for each channel then use the individual master knob for each channel to get the volume I want . It means I have to turn three seperate knobs if I want to turn the overall amp volume up or down, but the sound is much richer-sort of like having a built in attenuator. I set the solo knob on full to give me a bit of extra power if I need it quickly.

2) When I first got the amp I had a quick go with EL34s, but then left it with 6L6s. Last week I finally got around to hooking all my digital recording gear up and did a series of head-to-head comparisons. I didn't touch the mike or mike position and I just swapped the tubes in and out (and switching the bias of course). I assumed that the comparison wouldn't be fair, because the amp had been tweaked for 6L6s and I was too lazy to dial in a sound with the 34s. Anyway, I was blown away. The amp sounded far more dynamic and tighter. Also, channel 3, which had been difficult to tame with my Strats, suddenly came alive and seemed much easier to dial in.

Maybe it's just the novelty of a new sound and I'll be reconverted when I put the 6L6s back in, but I don't think so. The amp's sounding better than ever.

Good luck

with the 34s or 6l6s?
edit: i like how you said "a bit" on the solo boost. i'd say it's tidge more than that

Sorry, I meant it sounds best with the EL34s.

It is only a bit of extra power with the solo switched in becasue the amp's master volume is set on around 75%. The extra 25% that the solo boost adds is mainly compression and dirt rather than volume.

I guess what I'm trying to say is run the amp's master high and the channel masters low.

i have yet to get a cab so i'll get that in approx. 8 or so days (hopefully)
it's probably gonna be an old 4x12 marshall cab i found at my shop for 375 with tax!

Supertaster said:
Maybe it's just the novelty of a new sound and I'll be reconverted when I put the 6L6s back in, but I don't think so. The amp's sounding better than ever.

I bought a used Nomad 55 4x10 at GC during summer 2005. The previous owner had swapped in EL34s. I got used to the amp with the EL34s, and didn't know it until I took a look and found the EL34s in there.

I bought a pair of Mesa 6L6s, and tried them. Went back to the EL34s, haven't looked back.

-Gary K

i love my nomad. up next is an italia mondial

i just picked up a harmony (barclay) rocket at daves. the bridge pickup didn't work (at first we thought it was the toggle). so the techs at daves routed it for a humbucker and chucked a used gibson bucker in there for free! it's coming in the mail soon and i'll update later. i'm pumped right now!

I have owned a Nomad 100 long head version for 6 years and I LOVE mine. It's SO veratil that I use it for hard rock and metal......and my dad borrows it for his country and classic rock gigs! It's one hella amp! It almost makes TOO many tones!
Mc-G

MesaMc-G said:
I have owned a Nomad 100 long head version for 6 years and I LOVE mine. It's SO veratil that I use it for hard rock and metal......and my dad borrows it for his country and classic rock gigs! It's one hella amp! It almost makes TOO many tones!
Mc-G
indeed, although my only complaint is that the third channel is very quiet and over-saturated

Latest posts

Back