New Video: Single Rectifier Vs. Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
I've received a lot of requests lately to compare the Single and Dual Rectifiers, so here it is! There's definitely some differences in the tone of these amps, and hopefully this video will help individuals who are trying to decide which Recto is best for them.

As always, questions, comments and suggestions are always welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7f92E70M48

Your video highlighted what I've never liked about the dual rectifiers and the roadster - the low-mid emphasis. I like the way the single rectifier cut and the extra upper mids it had. Cuts nicely. In actuality I don't dislike the dual by any absolute kind of way - it just doesn't suit my style, musically and in the mix with my other guitarist. If I played in a different band or my style differed, then I'd probably feel otherwise! Great job with the video!

I can't watch the video right now, but in hindsight I kinda regret getting rid of my solo 50 head for a dual rec 3ch head, but mainly due to my experience having grown with the dual, and thinking I could probably pull a hell of a sound out of the single rec with what I know these days.

Maybe I will try pulling two of the power tubes and have the best of both worlds. Hmmmmm....

I think there are more differences between the Single and Dual that can't be replicated by a manual wattage reduction (a la pulling two output valves from the Dual). I could be wrong though. There is a nice upper midrange bite with the Single that I like a lot.

For Metal, I would think that the Dual would be the ticket between the two amps, while the Single would really shine for punk rock and general rock genres that require some more upper mids.

I really do enjoy the video a lot.

Don - Why did you decide to use the Stiletto cab for the test, instead of the Rectifier 4x12? I would've liked to hear the amps through the Recto cab for the comparison, since that is their ideal matching cab.

YellowJacket said:
I prefer the Stiletto cab live. For recording, it would depend on what sort of a tone I was looking for.
Same here. The oversize cabs are a bit hard to reign in sometimes.

BostonRedSox said:
For Metal, I would think that the Dual would be the ticket between the two amps, while the Single would really shine for punk rock and general rock genres that require some more upper mids.

Having owned both amps, I was actually pretty disheartened with the dual rec at first, as the single seemed more aggressive in the gain and heavy tone department.

The only thing I have found the dual better for is a more versatile sound being that it has three channels that can be very nicely staged with pristine clean, vintage crunch, and a modern distorted tone, all able to be dialed in with loud and balanced output levels.

The single rec was limiting with the two channels, unless you wanted to roll off the volume pot (doesn't work for me with rapid song section changes) and even then that affects output level too drastically IMO.

Solo 50 is a great easy to use no-fuss amp. Plug in and wail. I bought a barely used one for $750! Great deals can be found on these.

BostonRedSox said:
Don - Why did you decide to use the Stiletto cab for the test, instead of the Rectifier 4x12? I would've liked to hear the amps through the Recto cab for the comparison, since that is their ideal matching cab.

Hmm, where did I say that it was the Stiletto cab?!?! :?: :?: :?: Did I say that on the video?! (I can't access it right now)

It was definitely a Rectifier 4x12 that we used in the video. If I said otherwise somewhere, it was a mistake.

I think there are more differences between the Single and Dual that can't be replicated by a manual wattage reduction (a la pulling two output valves from the Dual). I could be wrong though. There is a nice upper midrange bite with the Single that I like a lot.

Agreed. It's noteworthy that the Dual and Triple Rectifiers underwent a revision in 2010. The Single Rec did not, so there is definitely a different voicing happening with the Single. Neither is better or worse really... except the Pushed preamp mode sounds much better to me in the Dual.

Are you sure it was a Recto cab, Don? By the looks of the head on the cab from the video -- compared to my own experiences, and based on your other Dual Rec/Recto cab videos -- the cab looks smaller in comparison to the head. Plus, the Recto cabs usually have BLACK piping, while the Stiletto cabs have the SILVER piping. The cab in the video has the silver piping.

Thanks! Sorry if I was wrong. My thought process was based on the size of the cab and the piping color -- an educated guess, if you will.

Either way, great videos as usual.

I just checked again. The cab you used in the video definitely appears to be similar to what most Stiletto cabs look like. It also looks similar to the Stiletto cab you used in your "Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stiletto vs Rectifier Comparison Video 412." I will leave this comment with the caveat that I am most likely WRONG! After all, you were the one who shot the video and such. I'm sure you'd know best!

What is the up-charge price of the Recto cab with silver piping by the way? I am curious as to how much Mesa tacks on to such a small, custom feature. Thanks!

I see the source of the trouble now. That cab has white piping, not silver. I ordered a few of them in that way. Sorry for the confusion, but that was indeed a Rectifier cabinet. There's a lot of inconsistencies regarding camera angle and distance that may have added to the perceived size difference.

No up charge on custom piping! :D You can choose between black, white, cream, tan and silver. I think that's all of them.

HaggertysMusic said:
I see the source of the trouble now. That cab has white piping, not silver. I ordered a few of them in that way. Sorry for the confusion, but that was indeed a Rectifier cabinet. There's a lot of inconsistencies regarding camera angle and distance that may have added to the perceived size difference.

No up charge on custom piping! :D You can choose between black, white, cream, tan and silver. I think that's all of them.

Cool! Good idea!

Cool video, Don.

Having owned a Single Rec for 10 years, it does fall short on the headroom though. If your looking to play metal - I'd skip the Single and move to the Dual. Plus, for obvious reasons the Dual is just more powerful and beefier sounding then the Single. But as you've showed in the video, the Single does cut nice and does some nice cleans. Thanks again.

Finally got around to watching, and very much reminded me of going from the Solo 50 I had to my 2009 Dual Rec. I remember gigging with the Solo 50 too.

In my experience the tone of the Dual doesn't really come to life until loud output levels, but I also remember at those sorts of levels with the Single it would start to sound rather harsh and a bit unstable/on edge with the power tubes being pushed hard.

I am talking jam levels, for me the Dual needs to be at a level where it is keeping up with some fairly hard hit drums and bass, for it to come into its own territory. And I find anything under 9 o'clock output level wise, its a case of forget the tone, cause there ain't any.

Great video as allways...

Thats why I like the Road King so much... the progressive linkage enables selection from 5 different power amp platforms and you can really hear the difference in tone it makes. The 2 6L6 mode ch #3 Raw especially sounds like the Single rec. It's the mids that make the difference. This is just a wicked sounded "mode" for 80's rock! I admit tho that I prefer the 4 6L6 Ch# 3 Raw as it still has the mids but a little more in the lows... this is definetly one of my favorite settings on the Road King.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back