New Here! and New amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ws6air

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Marc, I'm new here , but not to Boogie amps. I've owned Boogies off and on throughout playing music, rather live or studio purposes. I love playing boogies, but for the life of me , I've always been on the Marshall side of things..... 5150 when I was 16 (Block letter) , Marshalls (800s, 900s, plexis) , recently I've been playing Splawn amps for the last 2 years as these amps are still some bad mamo jamas!!!! Well, certain things came up.... I have been looking for a Halfback cab for awhile with original EVs in it...Well...Search ended, found one , and man, these cabs are beast, and they don't give up on the load end at all. You can dive bomb, dive bomb and yep, DIVE bomb, and the speakers say " Is that the best you got?" Killer cabs. so....after that , I stubbled upon a Mark iii head that , well.... Just blew me away..... have to tell story about this though, funny thing....
I got the amp and played around with it and found that the bass, just wasn't right.... it was mushie , so I put the amp up for a bit, thinking, man, I really need to find a Mesa repair shop to look at this thing (Keep in back of mind, I'm a Marshall type player) (HAH!) So I automatically thought something was wrong as I setup the knobs(without reading manual of course!!!) all to 5 (like a Marshall) ....Thing sounded horrible... MUSH!!! (I shouldn't even admit to this story, but I am!!!) (and yes, the bass knob was on 5 too ! ) (I know now of course) So , about a month later , I had some time and took it to the Boogie dealer. I said " man, this thing sounds horrible, what's the deal" he said........qoute" Are you a Marshall type owner?" I said , why yey, my whole life!!! (except the years of the first Rectifiers, had one for 2 years) (single Rectoverb) ....He said, I already know what's wrong...I said huh? He said don't look....I heard popping and turning of knobs... Then he said, play.... MAN!!!! That's KILLER !!!! What did you do...... Then the schematics of the amp helps, man!!!! To this day, that was a WOW experience....
Got the amp home and downloaded the manual first off....man!!! This thing ROCKED.... Here's a pic!!!

amp-cab_zpsf1f428e7.jpg

Here's the amp when I got it back

Excuse the playing, but man, my tone since this video has done nothing but get better.... I'm in love with this thing, although compared to a Marshall, you have to be a NASA engineer to operate....Hah, Jjokin of course, KILLER, KILLER amp!!!

Thanks and definately glad to be here
Marc

It's a red stripe, and thanks! I'll be here awhile. I still like my Splawn alot, but this thing is crazy toney!!!! My Paul and Wolfgangs sound amazing through it. GAIN for days. I've never had tap harmonics pop out so easy, the 5150 of course does, but the low end is little more saggy too. I still want to play a 6534 to see how they sound, but I'm actually very content , on this Boogie. I've had nothing but compliments since playing it, where with 5150 / Marshall, didn't get that much. The Splawn was more of....What is Splawn than man, that sounded good. I just really like the way it makes it's way in the mix. No matter what you do, it's in there somehow, ya know? Anyway. Thanks again guys, a little embarassed about the way the amp started out, but who cares, it Rocks now, and I'm glad to have been a covert!!! Hah! Lovin it!!!

Marc

Did you happen to find a Coliseum or a widebody Red Stripe?

Either way, great job, and yes, those old Boogie 4X12s are perfect for a Mark-voiced amp. It's great to hear the amp through a near colorless speaker, whereas my Oversized Recto seemed to struggle with keeping up. Maybe it was the V30s, but my cab (MS-90 with Eminence on the bottom) sounds tight responsive.

Awesome, i got a red stripe (simulclass) too, and i'll never get rid of it. Had it for about 6 years now and plan on keeping it till the day i die.

So just a settings issue, hey? haha. Vol (gain) (6-10), keep Bass low (0-2) and treble high (7-9) (pull shift), Master and lead master anywhere between (2-5) (pull deep), and you're good to go. Oh and presence below 3 or it gets fizzy. That's all ya gotta know about these amps. The rest is just a matter of taste. And on the clean channel, anything goes IMO. There's A LOT of different tones in these amps, from old school to brutal metal. and the outer two power tubes on the simulclass mark's can be changed between el34's or 6l6's depending if you want a bit more of a british tone or american tone.

I know that's why a lot of people just kinda write off Mark series amps... they play them for a few minutes in a music store with the kinda settings you'd use on a typical marshall style amp, and ya know the rest...

Back