New guy and I have a questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby Huey

Reaction score
Good Morning
I have been lurking around the boards for about a year now. I figured it is time to introduce myself. I have been playing on and off for a little over a year, between kids and work, I am not nearly as far along as I wish I was, but I keep plugging away.

Current Gear:

Les Paul Studio (04) Wine Red and Gold through a Phaez 8 watt Daisycutter

G&L Legacy and Brand New <3 days old> Telecaster American Standard through a Mesa Lonestar Special

My first guitar and amp, a Jackson DK2S and a Line 6 Spider Jam

Former Marine, currently Industrial Sales. I also ride and race motorcycles. I look forward to learning, growing and hopefully contributing to the forum.

Now for the questions. I have a Lonestar Special 2x12. This thing weights a TON. I am thinking about trying a couple of things but don't know how it will work.

1. Buy a head cab and use the existing cab as a 2x12 extension cab. Fear is the hole at the top where the chassis was. DO I plug it up or leave it alone? I like this idea cause it will also get the tubes out from the “beating” zone.
- or -
2. Taking a speaker out. Leaves another open hole.

I have read that the cab is not "theoretically" big enough for the 2 12's, so either would help
Thanks for your Help.

Baby Huey said:
Good Morning
I have been lurking around the boards for about a year now. I figured it is time to introduce myself. I have been playing on and off for a little over a year, between kids and work, I am not nearly as far along as I wish I was, but I keep plugging away.

Current Gear:

Les Paul Studio (04) Wine Red and Gold through a Phaez 8 watt Daisycutter

G&L Legacy and Brand New <3 days old> Telecaster American Standard through a Mesa Lonestar Special

My first guitar and amp, a Jackson DK2S and a Line 6 Spider Jam

Former Marine, currently Industrial Sales. I also ride and race motorcycles. I look forward to learning, growing and hopefully contributing to the forum.

Now for the questions. I have a Lonestar Special 2x12. This thing weights a TON. I am thinking about trying a couple of things but don't know how it will work.

1. Buy a head cab and use the existing cab as a 2x12 extension cab. Fear is the hole at the top where the chassis was. DO I plug it up or leave it alone? I like this idea cause it will also get the tubes out from the “beating” zone.
- or -
2. Taking a speaker out. Leaves another open hole.

I have read that the cab is not "theoretically" big enough for the 2 12's, so either would help
Thanks for your Help.

Yes, it does way a ton. Why not sell it or try to find someone to trade for a single 112 LSS. I have the 112, and at 59Lbs, I certainly wouldn't want the heft of the 212. Taking a speaker out will change the sound, alot, and not for the better.

If you are going to buy a head cab, why not look for an empty 2x12 avatar cab and just load your speakers into that too. Then you can preserve your Mesa LS cab in case you want to sell the amp in the future. You could probably find an empty 2x12 cab easier and cheaper than finding a head cab that will fit your LSS into.

I agree with Jared that selling or trading for for a 1x12 LSS would be a better option than pulling a speaker. I gig with my LSC and it weighs a ton but the tone and versatility I get is worth it to take out over my other amps

Latest posts

Back