New Addiction... Mesa Mark V 35

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonehound

Reaction score
First post amd first test drive with Mesa amp

Been a long time fan of Fender tube tone and luckily still have my original 68 Blackface Pronceton reverb/SF Deluxe reverb etc. Also own the killer tone of a Swart STR Tweed. Vintage Traynors, Gibson GA-5/10 and a few Marshalls as well. I admit I love tone like so many others and tired of having 3 pedal boards to induce extra noise and getting robbed of tone from them in the chain. True by pass or not I feel they still rob us of tonal character.

Love to plug straight in from guitar with maybe some delay and let the amp deliver the goods.

Then this week I started looking into the Mesa line and I've used the excuse that their too complicated with too many buttons and switches. Then yesterday my local music store was good enough to loan me a new Mark V-25 Head. I raced home and ran it through a partially open back diagonal 2X12 loaded with 8ohm V-30 and a WGS Vet 30 wired for 4ohm load and dope removed from both speakers

Didn't take me long to start to smile and appreciate why these amps are loved by many. I also ran it through a closed back Blackheart 1X12 with a Celestion Gold and didn't care for it near as well as the 2X12

Then before jamm last night I decided to play it a bit more and it up and quit. Not sure if the PT went for a crap but I called the store and they had a Mark V-35 both in combo and head. Guess because I spend enough money there they took back the V-25 and I loaded up both V-35's and off to jamm I went.

I took a look online for some popular setting for Crunch and next dirtiest on 2nd channel, IIC+ I think and I knew while playing my 52 RI Tele also my 04 Epi Eltist Studio Les Paul that I had no need for any other amps in my stable because this Mesa can do it all to more than satisfy my classic rock and blues soulful cravings. We play small venues to no more than 150 people and learned over time to have a 50-100 watt amp and never get volume past 2 isn't doing the amp or tone any justice. Get those tubes hot with less wattage and then an amp comes into its own... Is my way of thinking anyways.

The Combo was Super disappointing compared to the head and 2X12 cab. Combo sounded very thin and boxey and even though I usually own combos I couldn't argue with the results of the side by side test.

Not site of the extra 10watts is worth having compared to the Mark V-25 but man what amazing final characteristics.

I hate lugging a fairly hefty and bulky 2X12 cab and taking up more room in my truck consorted to a combo.

Now the Question to you guys, am I dreaming there's a 1X12 cab that's capable of producing tonal mojo as i experienced from my 2X12. Hoping for minimum weight and size in a cabinet for Max tonal return.

Sorry for long post but I'd like to make the right purchase. I do feel I've found my new amp line and honestly right now I feel I could sell every amp I own and have one Mesa Boogie.

Thanks in advance.

Now as everyone lists the 1x12 cabs they use, let me try to be the first

I am using the compact 1x12 wide body front ported cab with a vintage 30 with my V25 and it sounds huge.

It could be in my head but the front porting and extra width make it sound large to me.

primal said:

I am using the compact 1x12 wide body front ported cab with a vintage 30 with my V25 and it sounds huge.

It could be in my head but the front porting and extra width make it sound large to me.

Forgive me Recto but this head/cab is all new to this cat as I typically own combos.
Is this the Mesa cab you're referring to?
http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/compact-series/1x12-widebody.html

Looks like the Mesa compact wide series can be had in either open or closed back but only front port cab I'm seeing is the Theile 1X12

Thrilled sonically as I am from my 2X12 id love to find a lighter yet full sounding single to have instead.

Tonehound said:
primal said:

Forgive me Recto but this head/cab is all new to this cat as I typically own combos.
Is this the Mesa cab you're referring to?
http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/compact-series/1x12-widebody.html

Looks like the Mesa compact wide series can be had in either open or closed back but only front port cab I'm seeing is the Theile 1X12

Thrilled sonically as I am from my 2X12 id love to find a lighter yet full sounding single to have instead.

In the boogie site it is this one.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/compact-series/1x12-widebody-closed-back.html

However I got mine with a vintage 30 and a boogie logo to match the Mark V25 (which obviously would be the same for the 35 and 90)
I bought it here
http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-1070-mesa-1x12-widebody-closed-back-compact-guitar-speaker-cabinst.aspx

Sounds larger then typical 1x12's and not boxy like you sometimes get with small 1x12's

I use an open back Mojotone Lite 1 x 12 loaded with a Mesa MS-12 speaker with my Mark V 25. Sounds nice and big and only weighs 30lbs loaded.

Back