New DC2 owner a few issues/questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatnik

Reaction score
hi there just acquired a dc2 later model i think with the contour option first impressions are its great or it was great till i put it through its paces earlier once the kids were out. The amp does everything i was looking for i needed something loud enough to deal with a band with two channels and the option of reverb, the issue i have is when i played with a decent amount of gain and had a blast through my big muff i now have this rattling sound when i play, the rattle isnt there on the clean channel with low gain but on the lead channel or with gain added to either channel the rattle is present certain notes affect it more for example 9th fret on the high e is ridiculous, from a bit of research its been suggested that it could be tube rattle does this sound right (im pretty new to tube amps) if this is right and i swap out the tubes id rather try some jj tubes as opposed to the mesa branded ones so if i just order a pair of jj el84's will they be ok or do i have to get a particular type? hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance any help/advice u can send my way

Many combo amps are notorious for abusing tubes. Try plugging the amp into a separate cabinet so you're not shaking the combo and see if you still have noise.

... And it's those little EL-84 power tubeys that tend to rattle and hum, just 'cause they're small and easily aroused.
I had the same problem, and also with an EL-84 equipped Peavey Classic 30.
My final solution was sell the amps, but that's just because I prefer 6L6s, and they can rattle as well.
The separate cab trick should tell you if it's the tubes' fault.
Maybe those rubber O-ring thingys might dampen the festivities?

thanks for the response gents i dont have another cab to try it with would running it through headphones have the same effect?

Beatnik said:
thanks for the response gents i dont have another cab to try it with would running it through headphones have the same effect?

Maybe you could take it to a music store to try with an extension cabinet.

Hmmm...never had that happen with mine - yet!!
However, I'm bad about changing speakers in my DC-2 all the time...it's too easy and too much fun to experiment that way. I currently have a really old G12-75T in it that sounds really good. It handles my harder edged blues very well.

And BTW...that little DC-2 sounds killer running into my 4x12 cab too!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back