New Case Smell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapinger

Reaction score
Was driving home after a gig yesterday and had my new Explorer in it's new case on my back seat and I also had a newer Ibanez a friend gave me to help setup his Floyd Rose and I got to tell you my truck smelled like a new case. It made me wish they had a little mirror tree with that smell. :lol:

Scrapinger said:
Was driving home after a gig yesterday and had my new Explorer in it's new case on my back seat and I also had a newer Ibanez a friend gave me to help setup his Floyd Rose and I got to tell you my truck smelled like a new case. It made me wish they had a little mirror tree with that smell. :lol:

Haha. I know what you mean! Although, the 'new car smell' car freshener tree smells pretty horrible - there's no replacement for the real deal...

haha I was just thinking about this the other day. I don't remember my epiphones having good smelling cases and they definitely don't smell good now that they are over 10 years old but my ibanez I got last year has such a nice smelling case. I don't know what they put in there to make it smell so good but I like it.

Turumbar82 said:
I don't know what they put in there to make it smell so good but I like it.

Quite honestly, it is probably the new materials used to make the case that smells so 'new'. The finish on the guitar might add a little to the new smell, but the case itself is the biggest smell producer. That's my theory anyway!

The case of my Luke smelled sort of good, but i left it open at night once, and i just about puked in the middle of the night. Woke up to a super saturated smell of case funk. Now i can't stand the smell lol.

MusicManJP6 said:
Turumbar82 said:
I don't know what they put in there to make it smell so good but I like it.

Quite honestly, it is probably the new materials used to make the case that smells so 'new'. The finish on the guitar might add a little to the new smell, but the case itself is the biggest smell producer. That's my theory anyway!

Ya you know, I think they call it "out gassing". The chemicals used on the "case fuzz" or in the form fitted foam, must be doing it. There is a fine line though between a "gentle whiff" of a new case and "a full on bury your face in it and inhale". A whiff gets you giddy with excitement over the new budding relationship between you and your new axe. The later on the other hand makes you feel like you are stuck in chemical hell.

I once borrowed a tele from this jabba the hut like fellow played in a country band amd the case smelled of every cigarette the leviathan ever smoked and of every crappy bar he ever played his country crap in. I turned the guitar down just on that basis. I think the tele itself was saturated with it. It was awful.

Latest posts

Back