NCD! Delta Pro 12A loaded!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimi D

Reaction score
Today I received my brand new, custom order Saxon cab (http://www.saxon-cabs.ca/index.html), and I'm very pleased indeed! It's exactly what I wanted, and Tim was awesome to work with! I'd recommend him to any fellow Canadians out there! :D

MkV_Saxon2.jpg

Since recieving my kick-*** Mesa Boogie Mark V head from my beautiful wife for a Christmas present, I've had it in my head that I'd like to pick up a Mesa 1x12" cab for smaller gigs, rehersals, and playing around the house... I had the cab all spec'd out in my head: 1x12" widebody 3/4 back with an EVM-12L in it. The only bad thing about a cab like that, I figured, was that it wouldn't have a slant front, so I'd have to tilt it slightly at crowded gigs, but what the heck, nothing's perfect...

Well, I waited until after Valentine's Day, but when I called to order the cab, they tell me that Mesa doesn't make cabs with the EV anymore (C90 only) and the wait will be a few months... bummer...

So I start thinking, maybe I can try an alternative... A little research on the net leads me to Saxon Cabs, a Canadian custom cab shop. Some of it looks pretty nice, but none was exactly what I wanted if I could check off all the points on my wish list, so I emailed Tim, the owner, and asked for a 1x12” Widebody cab in Birch with these custom features:
  • SPECIAL DIMENSIONS: resize the cab + 2” deep – the top of the cab needs to be 12” deep to properly seat the Mark V head.
  • SPECIAL HANDLES: Recessed side handles (like a 2X12” cab) (the Mark V has a reverb tank that juts out of the bottom of the head, so it might not be able to clear a handle sitting under the head)…
  • Slant Baffle
  • Oval Open Back
  • Eminence Delta Pro-12A 8-Ohm loaded (an excellent substitute for the EVM-12L)
  • Black Tolex
  • DF6000 Black grill cloth

Tim replied that he could do all this, and at a price substantially less expensive than a Mesa 1x12, shipped to my door! So I paid him and the cab was trucking it's way to me within 7 days! I have to say I'm very happy with the result...

You can see the side handles and slanted baffle here:

MkV_Saxon3.jpg

The oval back:

MkV_Saxon4.jpg

Flash front shot:

MkV_Saxon.jpg

I've been playing it for a couple hours, and I have to say this cab sounds great! The Delta Pro is a fantastic speaker with this head! I haven't an EV to compare it too, but I've been playing with G12T-75s in my 2x12s and although those speakers were great with my Marshall, I can now hear that they're just not right for this head. Playing through this cab just reveals so much more on the top and bottom, and there's a body and air to the amp that seemed smothered before with too much mid emphasis... Anyway, it's just a great sounding cab! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back