NAD Mark III red stripe 1X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltd2recto

Reaction score
Got my fully loaded Mark III red stripe combo a couple of weeks ago. Paid $690 shipped off the bay. Simul-class, reverb, GEQ, EV-12L, black tolex, 2 STR-420 6L6's, 2 STR 440 EL34's, 5 SPAX7's. It only came with the clean/lead footswitch. Advertised that the reverb wasn't tested because of the lacking footswitch. It's been gigged with for sure. Tolex is dirty, couple chunks out of wood in the front. Also there's a couple scratchy pots & sliders.

She shipped the power tubes seperate so I threw in 2 STR-430's(6L6) & 2 STR-442(EL34). Fired it up & it sounded pretty bad. Dull & lifeless. I threw in a RCA long black plate in V1, 9th gen Chinese in V2 & V3, Mesa russian 2 in V4, JJ803S in V5 & 2 GT-E34L's in the simul class sockets. I can now dial in a real sweet clean tone with my strat. Very fendery. Still workin the lead channel but with my Les Paul but so far I can get a fairly modern metal sound. I need just a tad bit more gain. Yes for hi gain I run volume & lead drive at 10 & treble pretty high & still need more! 8) I am a recto player.

Hooked up a boss fs-6 dual footswitch with a stereo cable. Set each switch to latch. Got the GEQ to switch on/off by putting GEQ switch to off but the reverb isn't working. I swapped the RCA connections at the chassis from the reverb tank & when I switched it on the volume increased as I turned up the reverb level. But still no verb. Anybody have any ideas or trouble shooting tips? I swapped out the pre amp tube for it already. Im actually on my way to get a digitech hardwire reverb but would like to have the reverb working just in case I decide to sell it.

Other than that its been good. Its prob gonna be a jam amp for at home. I've actually been wondering if I could slave out of my single recto into the effects return on the Mark III. Would the effects in the loop of my rectifier follow over to the mark? Would the GEQ still work?

Ill post some pics if I can figure it out.

Very cool .... great price.

The first preamp tube well effect how much gain and the tone you have more than anything. The Mark amps have more gain than the DR's. Just find a preamp tube you like in V1.

I really like the RCA long black plate in V1 but sadly in cant stay for long. Its a backup for my rectifier. Might try a tung sol in that spot. I need to experiment with V3. The lead channel is too fizzy right now. Im just picked up a JJ ecc83s to try in that spot. Thinkin about gettin an RFT also.

Just brought home the hardwire rv-7 & wow! The single rectifier can get good cleans but this thing smokes it. And my strat isnt even that great (fender strat 60th annv standard). Im salivating about how good the dimarzio area 58's would sound through this thing. Will definately be usin the mark III to record cleans.

open the reverb tank mine had a broken connection an easy solder fix. I had some goofy connector now its hardwired and wont break again. Hopefully its the same problem you had. Sometimes those grey and white cables ends get bad corrosion too they coulden't be hurt from a cleaning or two now and then, mine where in bad shape on my dc10 when I first got it.

Couple of tips for ya:

1. to dial out the fizz, turn the Presence down - I run mine around "2". you can bring the Treble up and the use the GEQ to compensate.

2. clean the phono/RCA jacks that connect to the reverb and to the amp/chassis. They tend to oxidize causing a bad connection over time.

3. if the above doesn't work, open-up the reverb bag and take a look at the inside of the reverb. Make sure that the springs are connected and can move freely.

Good luck and enjoy your amp.

Remember the order of connections for the reverb. On the chassis, the shielded (grey) RCA should be on the jack towards the front of the amp. The unshielded (white) RCA should be on the jack towards the Power Transformer. The white RCA should be on the left connection on the tank (connections on the tank should be facing you if you're looking at the back of the amp, and the grey should be on the right connection. Also, make sure the reverb isn't "locked," and check for loose connections. BTW, Mark's don't like Tung Sol 12AX7's.

Latest posts

Back