My Rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoons

Reaction score
Probably too much information, but...

Equipment
Tone Machine: Mesa Triaxis
Effects: Rocktron Prophesy II
.....Primarily Just Used For Effects
.....Developing Usable Backup Tones For Emergency Triaxis Failure
Power Amp: Carvin TS100
.....Set Up For Stereo 50 Watts/channel
Carvin Legacy 2 X 12 Speaker Cabinet
.....Installed Carvin Legacy 4 X 12 Jack Plate And Set Up For Stereo
MIDI Foot Controller: BOSS GT-6
.....Only used for MIDI switching, Continuous Control and Volume features.

Signal Path
Guitar --> Prophesy Input
Prophesy Loop Send --> Triaxis Input
Triaxis Loop Send --> BOSS GT-6 Input
GT-6 External Send --> Prophesy Loop Return
Prophesy Recording Stereo Output --> PA Mixer
Prophesy Main Stereo Output --> TS100 Stereo Inputs
TS100 Stereo Outputs --> 2 X 12 Cabinet

MIDI Control Path
GT-6 MIDI Out --> Prophesy MIDI In
Prophesy MIDI Out/Thru --> Triaxis MIDI In

Notes
1. All basic tones are generated by the Triaxis.

2. The GT-6 is in the signal chain for Triaxis for volume control only because using the foot controller to CC# change the Triaxis volume and gain was not smooth at all; Triaxis increments are too large for smooth transitions. IMHO, this is the one big Mesa Triaxis design "Oops" as it relates to the Continuous Control features!

3. I use the Prophesy for a few of reasons
.........1. Because of the flexibility of the internal signal path.
................... ie: putting effects in proper placement in relationship to the preamp.
.........2. The Internal Modeling Preamp can be COMPLETELY BYPASSED when using the Triaxis.
.........3. There doesn't appear to be any "tone suck" at all.
.........4. The Speaker Simulator is really nice!
.........5. Because the digital modeler has the best tones I have heard and the tones are very usable as backups.
.........6. Ease of use.

4. The only reason I use the GT-6 is because I already had it.

5. I tried all the Triaxis outputs and chose the Triaxis Loop Send because it gave me the pure preamp tone at an output level that worked very well with the Prophesy; plus I did not have to use the Triaxis OUTPUT control knobs which just adds another knob that can be out of adjustment.

Everything seems to be working very well together set up this way.

nah I always like to hear about other peoples rigs. Now forgive me If I've missed the answer to any of these questions...I may have had a beer or six.

What kinds of music do you play with it? Examples and soundclips would be awesome lest you have the poetic ability to describe sounds in prose worthy of the bard.

Do you play live? If so do you play un-mic'd gigs (Americans always seem too for some reason, and I'm making the reasonable assumption that you're a yank) and also do you experience any loss of quality in the signal running a cable out to the GT-6, going through it (in my experience BOSS gear sucks tone and replaces it with noise), and back again.

Do you ever blend tones from the prophecy and the triaxis? If so...do tell of the glory. If not: I recomend you give it a shot. With my POD and Recto Recording PRE, I blended a dual recto and Marshall plexi, and had to put my under pants through the wash fairly soon after.

Have you ever compared the CARVIN to a MESA power amp? Did it compare well? What PA valves are u running?

What kinds of music do you play with it? Examples and soundclips would be awesome lest you have the poetic ability to describe sounds in prose worthy of the bard.
I love late 60's and early 70's rock and current Rockin' Christian Praise music. Sorry, no sound clips available.

Do you play live? If so do you play un-mic'd gigs (Americans always seem too for some reason, and I'm making the reasonable assumption that you're a yank) and also do you experience any loss of quality in the signal running a cable out to the GT-6, going through it (in my experience BOSS gear sucks tone and replaces it with noise), and back again.
I do some things live, Pit Band for some theatrical shows and I'm currently in a Praise Band. As far as being mic'ed, I usually run direct to a sound board using speaker simulator when ever reasonably possible, but sometimes have to use a mic. Using the GT-6, in the way I am using it, there is absolutely no tone suck at all! The way I have the signal path in the GT setup, the only thing between the input and the external output is the volume pedal and the WAH thus the signal chain is as clean as possible. The tone suck and noise in the GT seems to come from the preamp section, if it's not in the signal chain, no tone suck!

Do you ever blend tones from the prophecy and the triaxis? If so...do tell of the glory. If not: I recomend you give it a shot. With my POD and Recto Recording PRE, I blended a dual recto and Marshall plexi, and had to put my under pants through the wash fairly soon after.
This is a completely new system and I have not experimented with combining the Triaxis preamp tones with the Prophesy preamp tones, right now I have no reason to even try; the Triaxis is doing what I want. Maybe down the road I'll give it a try for fun.

Have you ever compared the CARVIN to a MESA power amp? Did it compare well? What PA valves are u running?
Yes I have tried both the Carvin TS100 and the Mesa 2:90? The Carvin power amp (EL34's) seems to be really transparent and does't seem to color the tone, the Mesa I tried colored the tone like crazy. I have a friend that uses a Mesa 20/20 and gets great tone, I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison with that yet - maybe someday we will both have the time, LOL! For now, the Carvin is the one for me.

P.S. Yes, I'm a Yank that was born in England, a US Air Force military brat I was.

Latest posts

Back