My latest amp dilemma/options, need your .02

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grindliner

Reaction score
I have a situation here!

I've had my Mark IV for a couple of months now, and while it's a great amp, I'm more into the Recto tones. and just love the lonestars cleans, yet don't play clean very often.

I had a tremoverb for a short time, but sold it and got a rectoverb, that was a mistake!

My Rectoverb and Mark IV are for sale locally.

I'm at the point now that I have four options, back to the Tremoverb, found a combo locally for $750, buy a lonestar, or a Roadster, or trade my Mark IV, and $500 for a Road King combo (locally as well).

Honestly, my *** hurts just thinking about the cost to re-tube a roadking

Anyone care to chip in their .02?

Do you still have the rect-o-verb? or tremoverb? I have been looking for a new tone, play mostly harder stuff.
I say try using some jj Kt 77 power tubes, and use something very quiet in the v1 and v4 position like a 803's, i'm not sure how well those do in combos.
Then do a jj83 in the v2 and v3. And something balanced in your v5. Just my two cents :)

grindliner said:
I have a situation here!

I've had my Mark IV for a couple of months now, and while it's a great amp, I'm more into the Recto tones. and just love the lonestars cleans, yet don't play clean very often.

I had a tremoverb for a short time, but sold it and got a rectoverb, that was a mistake!

My Rectoverb and Mark IV are for sale locally.

I'm at the point now that I have four options, back to the Tremoverb, found a combo locally for $750, buy a lonestar, or a Roadster, or trade my Mark IV, and $500 for a Road King combo (locally as well).

Honestly, my *** hurts just thinking about the cost to re-tube a roadking

Anyone care to chip in their .02?

I wouldn't go for the Road King unless you are planning on using most of the extra bells and whistles. If you dont think your going to need the progressive tube linkage or the cab switching, go for the Roadster. You get the same tones in a simpler package, and will be cheaper in most cases. The Tremoverb is also not a bad option, especially at that price. Have you considered a DC-10? The high gain is somewhere between the Recto and Mark IV and the cleans are pretty awesome.

Yeah, I wouldn't use half the crap on the road king, The reverb on the rectoverb is useless, and I only use it just to thicken things up a bit, just a little wet, around 3 to 4.

I ditched the tremoverb because it was overkill @ 100w for me, but I recently learned about pulling the tubes trick.

my dream amp would be pretty much be a 30w Roadster.

I did call Mesa the other day, for a recommendation, told them I wanted Tremoverb reverb, Lonestar cleans and, and Recto dirt, and his response without hesitation was "you just described the Roadster!"

Keep the Mark, (You never know!) and look for a used Roadster. OR get a V-Twin pedal and run it through your Mark4 on triode.

Latest posts

Back