My first post and a question about getting rid of muddiness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thump

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on this board.

I am a new Mark V owner (my first Boogie), and while I've managed to find some good tones, I'm having a hard time dialing out the muddiness (like there is a blanket over my amp). Not sure what I'm doing wrong; additional Presence and Treble don't seem to get rid of it.

I'm playing an American Standard Strat (SSS) and Music Man Silhouette Special (SSS), both with stock pickups. Straight in; no effects. Playing classic rock, blues, etc.

I know Boogie makes great stuff and I REALLY want to make this amp work for me, but is this just an inherent quality of the Mark series?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mark V manual, page 9:

"Beware too high of settings on the BASS control in Channels 2 and 3, especially when the GAIN is set high. Too much BASS will 9. produce a flubby, indistinct attack. In the MARK 1 Mode of Channel 2 it is perfectly respectable and even recommended to run the BASS control extremely low (8:30) or even “off” when the GAIN is set high (above 1:30). The Modes in Channel 3 can stand a little more BASS, but watch it there as well.

A basic rule might be this; As the GAIN goes up…the BASS should come down."

This is a basic rule for ALL mark amps, by the way. And also why most distortion pedals lack bass, or accent the mids, like Tube screamer types. Add a lot of bottom end, then distort it, you get major mud. The Graphic EQ on Mesa amps adds bottom end after the distortion. No mud. Cool. :D

I also play classic rock and blues. What the last player said is exactly right. I was having a hard time dialing out the mud especially on the Mark I mode which is suppossed to be so incredible on this amp. Dial the bass down. There are a couple of other posts in the Mark V section that discuss this muddy blanket and how to get rid of it. I also dropped some of the gain and added more master volume 1-2 o'clock, not output volume, and also a little more treble. The amp cleaned up well and it's a very gig worthy amp once you find your settings. I was frustrated at first as well until I figured out how to use a Mark amp. It's different than my LSC head. I can go from BB King classic blues to Clapton, SRV towards Allman Brothers and then Joe Bonamassa using these 3 channels all in a live situation. I use humbucking guitars, PRS DGT (w/ coil tap) and Gibson 339. So it does well with the higher output pickups as well as the single coils.

EQ with your ears, not your eyes!

Really??? That helps. If we're all so stupid why is this talked about so often throughout the posts? Thanks for the thought! I guess we don't all have your incredible ear.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I had already dialed back the bass quite a bit, but it wasn't until I hit about 9 o'clock that it really started to open up the sound. I appreciate the input! Great forum!

Tighten up the tone using a tubescreamer. Takes the muddiness right out of my DC 10. My Mark seems ok, but I have the bass at about zero.

Latest posts

Back