My first Mark IV clip.Updated! w/vocals and Recto pre solo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spirithunter

Reaction score
Hi all!

Here is my first clip with my Mark IV. I only had this amp for a couple weeks and still in the learning process of this amp and recording it. I thought this tune sounded not to bad for a start. Settings are the Chevelle settings i got from GrailTone.

On this tune i used 2 different mikes. Apex 435 for most of it and BLUE Baby Bottle set about 4 inches from the grill dead center. I did try the Shure 57 but i did not care for it. Maybe with the amp at higher volumes it would of sounded better to me.

LD channel>master 1>output 1 1/2. Both mikes going into a LA-610>002R Protools. No Eqing on the guitars or effects(except for the beginning) and their are mutli layers of guitars and no solo just yet. Guitar used was Ibanez 320DXQM. I put a PSP vintage compressor on the master fader that is it. Bass was direct into LA-610.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/fracturecomposer/Frozenbones/Frozenbones%20music/Death%20Boulevard%20.mp3

Recto pre direct with Dime wah.

Dying to crank this amp up and record it!

Thanks for listening and any input(tips) would be appreciated!

Thank you John for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed! I will be posting more clips in the near future. :D

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

edit: what did you use for drums? I've been trying to get some good rock drum sounds.

It sounds pretty good.. those are some nice mics :eek:

I can think of two things right away that I would do: turn your amp up, and cut out some midrange on your guitar tracks. I'm not familiar with this song (did you write it? It's a pretty rockin' tune) so I'm not sure if you are meaning to go for a mid-range heavy tone... but it's just a suggestion. Don't turn it down too much, you need mids for guitar definition especially on recordings. I would just do a few very small notches around 750-1800Hz. Like -0.3 to -0.5dB should do the trick. Load up the parametric EQ and drop a few points around that area and see what you can come up with. And yeah.. turn that ***** up. I just bought a Mark IV too and I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet either but I can already tell it's gonna rock me sideways.

Hi Platypus and mrd and thank you for the kind words and input! :D

Platypus the drums are Drum on Demand and i think that was volume 1. They are pretty decent for the most part and easy to work with and yes it is the one called chevelle-ish. The eq is not exact as you can see.(pic)

I'll tell ya mrd i want to crank this amp so bad! but at the moment it is hard to do because of family. I wrote and recorded this tune friday. Glad you like it! and my buddy is writing some lyrics for it as well. All part of a project we call Frozenbones.

The overall sound is a little muddy to me now that i have some fresh ears. I tried different mikes and positions. I still have a few more mikes to try as well. Very soon here i am going to be picking up a Great River single channel preamp. I think that will improve the over all sound as well. The LA-610 can be soft/rounded. But then again there are so many variables in play here.

I agree i need to mess with the eqing some more. i think i am close but not there yet. At least on LD.
Below is a pic of the eq setting and you can see i did drop the mids down pretty far...lol

MarkIVEQ.jpg

8)

Cool clip. I hear the muddiness you are talking about. To me it almost sounds like it is the preamp like you were saying. It could also be how it is eq'd though in the mix. I am sure that live the guitar tracks are way more dynamic.

Thank you Russ! I am kind of leaning towards the preamp. I did a sample test as well using 002Rpreamp and to me sounded cold and a little harsh compared to the LA-610. The LA-610 is awesome for bass direct and vocals but guitar at this point not to sure about. Live the guitar sounds sweet and the longer the amp is on the better it sounds to me. I am going try recording with Gibson LesPaul next time and compare.

That's about where my EQ is.. try bumping the middle slider up more and the one to the right of it, try moving that a bit below the line. Thanks for posting the pic!

I'll try the settings in that post, it's very different than my current settings :)

Will try Platypus!

Thank you playdosboogies for the listen and glad you enjoy!

Should have some vocals for it soon.

8)

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/fracturecomposer/Frozenbones/Frozenbones%20music/Death%20Boulevard%20.mp3

Guitar solo's >Recto pre direct with Dime Wah.

Thanks for the listen!

8)

http://www.acidplanet.com/music.asp?T=6317

Kind of cool since this loop base software in a way but recently Sony has moved away from that to some degree(AcidPro 6.0) and it is hard to do in this genre(rock)on AP and it is Sony's backyard.

Bottom line is we are just 2 dude having fun. 8)

Looking forward to recording and growing with this amp on the next tune!

I should mention the only loops here are the drums.

Everything is recorded/played by me and my buddy(vocals/lyrics).

Hi Platypus,

Yep! i did try the eq adjustment and i like it. I will be trying it on the next recording... I should have something shortly here. 8)

Latest posts

Back