my attempt Robbend Ford tone with triaxis and JVM!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
hey guys I made some sound clips today of me jamming and attempting to recreate a cross of Robben Ford's dumble tone....see below for link and description of what took place. two primary amps were used...Mesa/Boogie Triaxis with a 20/20 power amp and a Marshall JVM.

the sound samples are from robben's tune "indianola"...one of my favorite robben tunes.

WARNING-------I am not Robben Ford------------WARNING

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=814836&content=music

i'm just a working stiff that loves music and tone...so when listening dont expect the feel, phrasing or timing to be like his. i was pressed for time and I did not re-amp any of these performances.....each clip was a separate one take recording. but it does not matter....i could have played them 100 times and it wouldnt sound like he was playing! cool but i did the best i could do under the circumstances.

now that we have that out of the way here is how it was recorded;

triaxis, clean green with gain on 10, treble on 6, mid on 8 and bass on 5, presence 3 and DV on 1.

a TS-808 was used to boost the gain and an alesis quadraverb 2 was used for some reverb.

Mesa oversized rectifier cab with v-30's was used.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Marshall JVM on crunch yellow. bass at 1 o clock, mid at high noon, high at 11 o clock. resonance and presence were off.

channel volume was 4 o clock, gain was 1 o clock. master volume was between 8 and 9 o clock.

cab was a 1960a loaded with 75 watt celestions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

mic used on all recordings was a Rode NT2-A, mic pre was an Avalon 737sp tube pre.....very light compression, no EQ. Mic was about 6 inches from speaker slightly left of center of cone. clips recorded onto a Roland VS-2480.

guitar chain was guitar into a Boss NS-2, BB Preamp (on with gain on 10 o clock, treble on 9 o clock, bass at noon), a lexicon MPX-1 was in the effects loop of the JVM set on a preset called ISP slap echo.

guitars used were;

fender hwy 1 strat (heavily modified and with an andy timmons humbucker in the bridge)
fender american deluxe tele
PRS custom 22
Hamer XT hollowbody
Fender Eric Johnson strat
Ernie Ball Steve Morse signature
Carvin DC 145

hope you guys enjoy and I would love to know what you think!

Back