Mark V:35 Review and thoughts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the V:35 since February of this year (?), I've used the CabClone in a few recordings but when recording I prefer my Two Notes Torpedo Reload by a wide margin. The vintage setting on the CabClone works best to my ears. If I were gigging with the amp and couldn't get the CabClone to give me what I need I'd spend the dough on a Two Notes Torpedo Live (but that's me). Otherwise, a good old fashioned SM57 on the grill like I did for many many years.

Sorry guys, I have been away for a long while. Since originally starting this thread I have been through so much more with my MK 5:35.

I want to put one thing in perspective for some of you that either newly own the 35 or are looking at it. It takes a good while to find your sound. You will jump up-and-down and say that it's not warm enough, or it's a little thin. You'll wonder why in the heck Mesa put crunch on channel 1. You will think that the Mark 2C mode is a lazy channel and almost useless and that if you go to the warm sounding extreme channel you lose overall gain. You will almost certainly miss your 6L6 power tubes and you will wonder why you didn't spend the extra money for another amp that costs over $2000. You'll say all of the same things that a previous poster or two has replied.

And then suddenly it will make sense, you will start to figure out the controls and start realizing what great potential you have at your fingertips. Suddenly, you will find your tone. Trust me.

I've had this amp for awhile now. As some of you have posted and as I reviewed, Vintage in Cabclone is definitely the best. I've also chilled out a lot on over driving the power section for warmth. Fact is this amp is LOUD and I was growing tired of running those 84's so hot. I will say this, I played a gig in 90 degree heat with the sun shining directly on my amp and it never choked. Tough it is. I'm still running a single delay through the loop. I now run the amp at 35 watts all the time as that is where the extra warmth is. Yeah I know those other power settings are just so groovy!

My go to lead channel is the Mark IV. It is so much more a creamy channel for blues. My strat with the neck pickup loves that channel. As far as the clean channel, the only choice is Fat.

It's good to hear from you all, apologies for being gone awhile.

Cheers

Today I was on PRS Custom 22 with my Mesa 5:35.. I am on Fat/Mk2c.. I had my channel drive on 12 o'clock. It just had too much gain. almost fizzy.. I know that the key might be playing with the Mid EQ but I do not like the nasal.tone...

I lowered my gain to 10 o'clock on the second set. It was bit managable but still and ample drive. Lowering the guitar volume for crunch rhythm would have solved it... but my hands are tied.. and my i have my effects into the FX loop which includes a volume pedal... it lowers the level for backing but it become more fizzy...

I am still looking for one button selection channel switch for my 5:35

Updates: I believe I had this amp for close to a year now. I had my ups and downs and trials and errors. I did spend a lot of time tweaking the tone, level, etc. But I guess you go through that with all amp.

Most recent discoveries - Cabclone. I have tried this option when I first got the amp. It didn't work for me. It sounded shriell and lacked any organic value. I concluded that my old line 6 XTLive sounded better. Than I took may amp home and needed to test my pedal board late at night and I used Cabclone running into Mackie mixer and listening through headphone and it sounded fantastic. I really have not done anything but it just kicked ***.

I took it to my church gig where we are in all IEM - the tone that came out to the main PA and IEM was just alive.. clean tone had all the organic nuances and of course the Drive channel MKIIc just sounded like butter just like a cranked up through SM 57. It was more direct in your face. Surprisingly the it took pedals extremely well.. especially drive channel on chorus.

I have my OCD or TS on Clean fat channel with low gain. It gives me a good crunch.. I could keep my OCD on to kick in Drive channel and it adds good meat. My exotic SP compressor really shapes the tone.

I have a digitech Delay - one the setting has modulation delay... ambience delay that trails with chorus..- I love that effect. Because it is a pedal I need to change the settings for regular slap back type delay..I ended up having using Boss DD3 also. I may need a Strymom or a TC Flashback 4 with multiple presets. or go with ME 7 like the guy who posted earlier.. I have PD 500 .....Wondering this would dove my problem

More Christmas program. The usual hymns and carols. But wait.. I am a rock guitarist - I have to turn this into rock songs. Yes, but there is the choir right next to my Boogie and I am on IEM. If I was one of the singer in the choir - and my position was next to this long haired guy with screaming amp, I would get annoyed too and complain to the conductor. But I have Cabclone. I turned my speaker off. and went DI to XLR to main house mixer. It worked well.

I just got myself the Mark V:35 Combo and my wife helped pay toward a PRS 408 as an early Christmas gift. What an amazing setup! I've played through various Mesa Rectifier heads over the years. I currently also have a Roadster head, which I plan on selling at some point after using the Mark V:35 in some live sound scenarios to make sure it can pull it's weight. The bars around here never have a PA system (and if they do, it can barely carry the vocals) so I need the amp to be able to have plenty of volume without a PA's assistance when necessary. So far, I don't think that'll be a problem! I plan to hook it into a 2x12 vertical Recto cab in those louder scenarios. I haven't gotten to try the 2x12 cab just yet because it's at a friend's house 90min away, but I assume the closed-back cab with v30's will help give the Mark V:35 a little more "punch."

The ONLY thing I haven't loved about this amp so far is the lack of an overall Output volume knob. You have to change each channel individually. I find this to be a little annoying because sometimes at band practice I like to turn back the volume and play a littler more quietly while we hash out and discuss an idea. With the Mark V:35, you have to turn back both channels and risk not having them mixed properly anymore. Now, obviously the "fix" for this is to just turn down your guitar's volume or buy a volume pedal. It's not the end of the world, just a small pet peeve of mine! I'll be a very satisfied Mesa customer if that remains my only real complaint.

Congrats... Kyldh.

Just a comment. I don't think there is any amp that is multiple channel has a master of master volume - or I have yet to see it. I see your point. You need find a sweet spot for both clean and dirty channel.

Nevertheless, You will love this amp. I have the V:35 Combo. I have owned Mark II and III. And other Marshall, Fenders. Egnator and this amp just kills. Lately the tone I get from dirty channel Mk Iic mode is just amazing. To top it off I have been using the CabClone and through my In Ear Monitor. To me I got cranked up 4 X 12 behind me. But for practical purpose I have disabled the speaker. I am directly going into the main mixer. It takes all my pedal board well. Dunlop Volume - Xotic SP Compressor (subtile but this thing just cleans up and puts the tone in perspective) - Xotic EP (I could always use the "Solo" button But I think a boost on front of amp gives that little "umph" - Tube Screamer (I am not sure why I still have this - when is doubt I kick it in and all is well) - OCD (being a 2 channel amp and yet it is versatile - I sometimes need just a crunch - low gain and moderate level and on LP mode gives me that "country" crunch - great for crunch solos) then it goes front of the amp. Coming out from FX I got boss Tremolo, TC Chorus, DOD digital delay (I like the modulation delay - precursor of Strymon type lush ambience) then another Delay Boss DD3 finish off with straight delay. I leave reverb on all the time.

Few things Con. I wish there was a reverb on/off. a "second channel' for that crunch. it should have been a 3 channel amp.. well then you goto her big brother Mark V (overkill for me). I wish there was a 1/4 inch type channel switcher not this 13 pin DIN thing. I wanted to goto loop pedal but then I still need to tap dance to change channel. I am still looking for a solution or wiring diagram to built a 1/4 channel swticher

Happy Trails

kyldh said:
The ONLY thing I haven't loved about this amp so far is the lack of an overall Output volume knob. You have to change each channel individually. I find this to be a little annoying because sometimes at band practice I like to turn back the volume and play a littler more quietly while we hash out and discuss an idea. With the Mark V:35, you have to turn back both channels and risk not having them mixed properly anymore. Now, obviously the "fix" for this is to just turn down your guitar's volume or buy a volume pedal. It's not the end of the world, just a small pet peeve of mine! I'll be a very satisfied Mesa customer if that remains my only real complaint.

Interestingly, this problem was solved for me when I started using the 4 cable method through the effects loop. My Boss GT-100's volume knob is between the preamp and amp so it acts as a volume controller for both channels. Dial them in the way you want, then control the volume on the pedal board.

gjohung said:
Just a comment. I don't think there is any amp that is multiple channel has a master of master volume - or I have yet to see it. I see your point. You need find a sweet spot for both clean and dirty channel.
I don't know why you say this, pretty much all of Mesa's full size multi channel amps have both individual channel masters, as well as a global output volume. This setup allows you to balance channel volume with the channel masters, then control overall volume with the output control.

My 4-channel Roadster, 3-channel MKV, and 2-channel Stiletto have this feature, as well as many other models.

Quite honestly, I don't see this being a deal breaker with a 2-channel amp that is really aimed at studio and practice use.

Dom

PRS_Daddy said:
kyldh said:

Interestingly, this problem was solved for me when I started using the 4 cable method through the effects loop. My Boss GT-100's volume knob is between the preamp and amp so it acts as a volume controller for both channels. Dial them in the way you want, then control the volume on the pedal board.

PRS Daddy has one very noble idea here. It is definitely worth looking into for your problem kyldh. Also, at the risk of getting castrated, is to remember the solo feature can be set to a lower volume than the channel master (I'm not necessarily bringing that up to you Kyldh, but am reminding the thread that these can be lower in volume and even used as a mute).

By the way on the 35 watt setting under a 2x12 cab this thing works very well.

I've used my amp live now for an untold amount of shows and volume has never been an issue, that said reading over this thread you will find that our PA is above average. I would not be afraid to play a small club with the combo or a large club with a 1x12 extension (I own the 1x12 Thiele compact for this purpose).

Something I do want to ask the hive is this:

Forum, have any of you experienced a "mellowing", or "settling in" of your tone using this amp? I suspect in my case due to the extended hours of use that it is the power tubes breaking in or rather "chilling out".

It's an interesting question as my amp started to sound better as it was used.

Thoughts are a must. I simply must know

Once again
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Shannon

domct203

Sorry for my lack of research... I have only owned Mark Series and they all did not have a "master" volume..

Yesterday's rehearsal had some down beat 8 rock and roll and I brought my PRS. I had to pull my drive down to 9-10 o'clock = where I will have it as high as 12-1 with single coil strats. Even with that I had pretty good overdrive.

For cleans I had little hard time getting tone.. I usually have my mids high (past 12 to 2PM) to get bit of crunch.. But my PRS was getting dirty .. I was not getting glassy clean - as I was getting with Strats.. But with coil tapped pick-up selection I should get pretty hollow cleans...

umm...

Good day gents,

I’m a proud owner of a Mark V 35 (plus 2x12 recto cab) for about six months now. I like it, but I don’t love it, yet I know I’m at fault for not putting in the time to dial it in correctly. Last night at band practice my amp sounded thin and tinny…which brought me here. I’ve read through the thread, as well as the owner’s manual and I think I see several issues but I’d love to know your thoughts.

For a baseline, I’m a metal player (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). I play a Schechter hellraiser, as well as a PRS Custom 24. I have a Boss SD-2 OD pedal in front of the amp, and my old Boss GT 8 strictly in the effects loop for delay and a Noise gate.
Currently I have the gain and bass very low, treble and presence fairly high; 10 watt mode, EQ on with all the sliders above the mid line.

After reading annual a few things jumped out:

- Power. It seems like Mesa recommends the 25 or 35 W Pentode to open it up. My drummer insist the 10W would be better as it would allow the master to be turned up more without blowing the house up.
- Volume/Master: I don’t even think I have the master past 9:00. The manual says shoot for 9-12. This thing is loud, how is anyone turning it up that far and not getting blown away? In the past, I’ve always kept the guitar volume knobs and volume pedals wide open for simplicity, to turn the amp up that much would I have to use them to get the output back down? Is there some other simple method I am overlooking?

Power and volume could be two simple things sucking the life out of my tone right now. Getting them right may fix everything, but here are a few other areas I’m wondering about.

- EQ: I was trying to avoid the classic “scooped V” setup as I keep hearing modern players drive home the importance of mids. I have the two low sliders pretty high, the two high ones pushed up as well, and the middle one a bit above the line. I’m guessing this is a problem. Looks like the manual may say I’m driving the EQ too high.
- Effects. My original plan was to build a pedal board from scratch to get the GT8 out of the chain. I was afraid the GT8 would color the overall tone and make it sound too digital. I’m CONSIDERING rerunning it with the 4 CM method would save me some money, and keep the floor cleaner. I have so little activated I doubt its affecting the amp tone much either way right now.
- OD. Like I said, I use the Boss SD-1 to help boost the signal before it hits the amp. If I run the GT8 in 4CM I would just use an OD modeler to get the same effect.
- CabClone. We play though a PA as well, I’m not sure what cabclone setting I’m supposed to use. The manual says for metal use vintage. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, I’m just hopeful someone can help guide me to making this the metal tone beast I know it can be.

Jfriley said:
Good day gents,

I’m a proud owner of a Mark V 35 (plus 2x12 recto cab) for about six months now. I like it, but I don’t love it, yet I know I’m at fault for not putting in the time to dial it in correctly. Last night at band practice my amp sounded thin and tinny…which brought me here. I’ve read through the thread, as well as the owner’s manual and I think I see several issues but I’d love to know your thoughts.

For a baseline, I’m a metal player (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc). I play a Schechter hellraiser, as well as a PRS Custom 24. I have a Boss SD-2 OD pedal in front of the amp, and my old Boss GT 8 strictly in the effects loop for delay and a Noise gate.
Currently I have the gain and bass very low, treble and presence fairly high; 10 watt mode, EQ on with all the sliders above the mid line.

After reading annual a few things jumped out:

- Power. It seems like Mesa recommends the 25 or 35 W Pentode to open it up. My drummer insist the 10W would be better as it would allow the master to be turned up more without blowing the house up.
- Volume/Master: I don’t even think I have the master past 9:00. The manual says shoot for 9-12. This thing is loud, how is anyone turning it up that far and not getting blown away? In the past, I’ve always kept the guitar volume knobs and volume pedals wide open for simplicity, to turn the amp up that much would I have to use them to get the output back down? Is there some other simple method I am overlooking?

Power and volume could be two simple things sucking the life out of my tone right now. Getting them right may fix everything, but here are a few other areas I’m wondering about.

- EQ: I was trying to avoid the classic “scooped V” setup as I keep hearing modern players drive home the importance of mids. I have the two low sliders pretty high, the two high ones pushed up as well, and the middle one a bit above the line. I’m guessing this is a problem. Looks like the manual may say I’m driving the EQ too high.
- Effects. My original plan was to build a pedal board from scratch to get the GT8 out of the chain. I was afraid the GT8 would color the overall tone and make it sound too digital. I’m CONSIDERING rerunning it with the 4 CM method would save me some money, and keep the floor cleaner. I have so little activated I doubt its affecting the amp tone much either way right now.
- OD. Like I said, I use the Boss SD-1 to help boost the signal before it hits the amp. If I run the GT8 in 4CM I would just use an OD modeler to get the same effect.
- CabClone. We play though a PA as well, I’m not sure what cabclone setting I’m supposed to use. The manual says for metal use vintage. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, I’m just hopeful someone can help guide me to making this the metal tone beast I know it can be.

I would start by losing the OD pedal. The amp can handle metal just fine without one. You can experiment with it after you get your amp sounding better. But most mark players get along without one for metal tones. For the people that do, they usually set the drive to the minimum and the level at the max.

I would suggest starting with some settings that most players like. John Petrucci has the iconic mark series tone down pat. Check out his mark V settings video on YouTube. It's not the same amp, but the philosophy is the same, same pre amp. The amp has a lot of mids by nature, so don't be afraid to cut some with the 750 slider, most players do.

Don't overthink the whole volume thing. Just use as much as you need. If you're keeping up with a drummer, the amp is happy. You don't want to push the el-84s to hard anyway. When you start overdriving the power section that's trying to amplify a lot of preamp gain, things start to get messy. There are a lot of reasons to use the 10 watt mode and a lot to use all 35 watts, but just use what sounds best to your ears. I think playing in a tight area can make things seem a bit louder than playing on a stage. Amps can be claustrophobic too. In a more open area you'll be able to turn the amp up more. But no matter where you are, if you're keeping up with your drummer, the amp should be close to it's intended operating volumes. I don't know who gets credit for this quote, but I can't say enough for how true it is: use your ears not your eyes when dialing in a mark amp.

Jfriley said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a metal player!

Running all of the EQ sliders above the line is going to add volume - this should be noticeable when you switch the EQ in and out. This may be what's making your master settings seem so strange. Perhaps try maintaining the EQ curve you've set, but move all of the sliders down (same curve) so you get no volume change (i.e. unity) with the EQ on and off. All of that's just a guess, but something I noticed on my V:35 and the Flux Drive 5 pedal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually did the “un-American” thing and really read through the manual again, learning quite a bit. I implemented several of the recommendations from the book, and I DO think the tone is better, but still not quite there. I’ll try and get a clip that I can post, but it still sounds fairly thin and tinny, at least when compared to the other guitar player. He plays through some off brand amp with a boost and gain pedal in front which produces this thick, loud, crunchy tone. For now, I switched to 35 Watt mode, and pretty much modeled John Petruchi’s settings; but I did not scoop the mids as much as he did on the EQ.

I kept the OD pedal, but turned the drive almost all the way off, and boosted the level all the way up. I don’t think it really affects the tone, more the “feel” of the notes.

Is it possible the Boss GT8, running in 4CM, is coloring the tone? Adding to much COSM/digital/thin shaping to the overall sound? I’m only using it for its Tuner, WAH, delay, and NG; but I’m wondering if that is still affecting the overall character of my amp. Iy would be a pain to dump it and replace with real pedals, but I'll try it if I think I'll get a better sound.

Jfriley said:
Is it possible the Boss GT8, running in 4CM, is coloring the tone? Adding to much COSM/digital/thin shaping to the overall sound? I’m only using it for its Tuner, WAH, delay, and NG; but I’m wondering if that is still affecting the overall character of my amp. Iy would be a pain to dump it and replace with real pedals, but I'll try it if I think I'll get a better sound.

Is it possible you ask - that's exactly what's happening :mrgreen:
I owned a GT8 10 yrs ago and gave up on it.
You're running your amp through cheap & nasty analog / digital converters and back again.
Every time you do that you're losing signal.
It's not a pain in the *** to dump the modeller imo - its essential.

You own one of the THE best tube amps ever made and you're ruining it with an old el cheapo modeler imo.
Literally mixing Coke with Bollinger.
Good quality analog pedals and digital stomps sound x10 better imo than any modeller except for an Axe-FX.
The Wah, tuner, delay and other effects on the GT8 are very poor quality compared to stomps anyway these days imo.

Doesn't the best amp in the world deserve the best effects ??
Don't believe me ?? - unplug the GT8 and run your Mark V alone with guitar direct to amp input.
Then plug a good crybaby or TC Electronics Flashback Delay pedal into it and hear the difference :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
Jfriley said:
You're running your amp through cheap & nasty analog / digital converters and back again.

You own one of the THE best tube amps ever made and you're ruining it with an old el cheapo modeler imo.
Good quality analog pedals and digital stomps sound x10 better imo than any modeller except for an Axe-FX.
The Wah, tuner, delay and other effects on the GT8 are very poor quality compared to stomps anyway these days imo.

Don't believe me ?? - unplug the GT8 and run your Mark V alone with guitar direct to amp input.
Then plug a good crybaby or TC Electronics Flashback Delay pedal into it and hear the difference :mrgreen:

Epic reply, thank you! I was afraid of that, and I hate to part with the GT8, but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices :)

Any thoughts on the OD question? People seem split on "you don't need one" to "it's essential." If the latter, is the Boss Se1 I have good enough, or go Ibamez TS /Maxon 808?

Newysurfer said:

I agree with this completely, I had the GT8 in 4cm with my Mark V and whilst it sounded great at home, as soon as I turned it up to live band levels it just couldn't compete with my other guitarist and his ( utterly shitty sounding) Line 6. He just filled the whole sonic spectrum with horrible noise. When the band stopped I was ridiculously loud but couldn't cut through the mix. After advice from the great poster's here I ditched the GT8 and never had the same problem. Much more punch and authority at much lower volume and a much better overall sound for the band when the other guitarist then realised I sounded much better than him at a lower volume and he followed suit. Whilst the GT8 is a great unit for the home it just isn't in the same league as these amps and at band levels it just can't compete. Not worth the tone sacrifice for loads of effects that you only use a few of.

Just my opinion though.

Jfriley said:
Newysurfer said:
Jfriley said:

Epic reply, thank you! I was afraid of that, and I hate to part with the GT8, but sometimes you gotta make sacrifices :)

Any thoughts on the OD question? People seem split on "you don't need one" to "it's essential." If the latter, is the Boss Se1 I have good enough, or go Ibamez TS /Maxon 808?

No worries just trying to help you with experience I've had with several el cheapo modellers :)

What flavour of OD do you want that Mark V 35 can't already do?
Mark V covers huge amount of OD, crunch & distortion tones fantastic but I use 3 stomps to add on 3 flavours the Mark V can't do.

They are
- Tubescreamer SRV tones - I use Maxon OD9 mod'ed by Analogman.
- I use Super Crunchbox for Marshall JCM tones - ie ACDC & Marshall 70's to 90's hard rock.
- For Fuzz I use Analogman Astrotone.

Add those onto a Mark V and you've got almost every OD, distortion & fuzz tone covered.
But you only need extra OD flavours if you have a use for them.
I do so I use them but...... as soon as I don't have a use I'll pull them off my board.

After ditching the GT8 and re-discovering the world of analog stomps again I also found Boss don't make any good OD or distortion stomps either compared to 100's of new and better pedals around.
All Boss OD and distortion stomp pedals are tone suckers, noisy and sound plastic imo.

None of them nail SRV tubescreamer tones or Marshall JCM and their fuzz pedals are crap imo.
And all they do is transfer those stomp pedal tones into their modellers.
So I won't recommend any Boss OD or distortion pedals now.

Back