My experiment will be tested tonight - Subway Blues gigging

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
I'm taking my Subway Blues out tonight to play a short gig and am hoping it does what I need it to. I'm playing rock music with a 4 piece and running the Subway into an EV equipped widebody 1x12 cab to get more......everything. It sounds fine in our rehearsal space, but it will be interesting to see how it performs on a decent sized stage. I usually run it about 12:00 on the volume and use the volume knob and coil tapping to get to clean, then stomp on a Fulldrive II, a TS10 Tubescreamer, a FC10 Fat Cat, or a Gaspedals Carb (or combinations of same) to bring the dirt. My "main" amp is my MKIIC+, but for a 1 hour gig it seems not worth the grunting and wear. I also like the idea of "retiring" the IIC+ and using it for studio work, so if this does the trick I'll be stoked. Anyone else using a Subway Blues for gigging? With me luck, brothers. Z

A friend of mine does all of his gigs with a Fender Deluxe (about 20 watts) and it always sounds great. I don't even think he bothers with a mic most of the time. And this is with a 10 piece (sometimes more) funk band.

After seeing him play live I realized I was over-doing it big time with all of the 50 and 100 watt amps I've got.

Let us know how it works out!

I jammed at the club for two sets with some friends. I had a Peavey Scorpion 10" speaker instead of the stock speaker - a major upgrade. Still not enough power, I could have used your extension cabinet. It sounded great on stage but did not quite carry the day out in the house. Of course if it were mic'ed that would be different. Great little amps!

I doubt you'd have any issues whatever. One time I played with 3 other guitarists, a bassist, and a verrry loud drummer with my little Fender PRII (20 6V6 watts ...and couldn't use either of my boogies, long story). I had no problem with volume, at all ...and that's not even "boogie watts" :)

Edward

I've used a Subway Blues on the gig, and it was fine for me, but I was playing alt-country. It depends on the stage volume, size of the venue, whether you're mic'ed. If it's a "decent sized stage", then there should be a...decent-sized PA for mic'ing the amp. I've used a Subway Rocket with a four-piece rock band many times though, and that thing was more than enough. I never used OD pedals with it though, just the channel switching.

I'm not sure that a Subway Blues plus a widebody EV 12 is that much less hassle than a MarkII though.

Ive got a Subway Rocket and have used it many times for classic rock gigs. Sometimes Im the only guitar sometimes there is another guitar. Its a very under rated amp in my opinion. I also have a Triple Rec. The Rocket is good up to around 150-200 seat club. Then i might want a little more umph. If there is a good pa mic that sucker up.

Well, any concerns I had about volume were certainly unfounded! I actually wound up running the SB at about 10:00 and felt plenty loud at that setting. I must agree with the suggestion that lugging the widebody 1x12 with the EV kinda tosses the "easier to carry" notion out the window, but it sounded really good. I guess it is more my wanting to keep the MKIIC+ safe from any potential harm from moving, theft, or unneeded wear that will make this change a good one in my mind. I know I could never afford to replace it and it is a bit of an oddball where the IIC+ is concerned anyway, but to my personal benefit as I like its "saggier, softer" attack with the older tranny. The Subway and the rest of the goodies I used are gonna be a great solution for me I think. I'm proclaiming "Misssion accomplished"! Z

Latest posts

Back