My 1st Mesa: Tremoverb head + Recto 212s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art_n_music

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, just got my first Mesa this week. It is a dual rectifier tremoverb head and the serial number is R-003756. I am told it was made around '95. I got it with a recto 212. It is a very clean looking and great sounding rig. I play mainly blues, classic rock and some heavier rock. There are a lot of variations that I am still trying to feel out, but it has a great range of tones. It was serviced by Mesa a year ago, some repairs and new tubes. It has 6L6's.

I have read a bit about different versions etc., and would like to know anything about the version, if there are versions for these Tremoverbs and if '94-95 is when it was made.

I have played with as many variations of the settings as I have had time to try, it is quite versatile if not a bit overwhelming. If there are any basic settings that people out here like with this amp, I would like to hear about it, too.

I love this rig.

Welcome and congrats on the new amp!!!
I always liked to push the mids to 10 on mine and leave bass and treble on 5 and put the gain where I needed it for whatever guitar/song on modern/red channel. I also cloned vintage to modern, so the clean channel had a wider range on the presence control. One of the best clean channels I'd ever found in any amp, so lively.

Congratulations on the new amp!

For settings check out...

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/view-recto-settings.html

There's some suggested user settings for the TOV there.

I didn't really fall start loving my tremoverb until I replaced the tubes (put in some EL34s) and really tweaked it out. I recently switched it back to 6l6s, just to satisfy my curiousity, and then immediately went back to the EL34s... they're definately my favorite.

Like ToneAddictJon, I also clone the vintage to modern, so I can get both the vintage distortion (which is INCREDIBLE) and the clean.

For me, the key was to dial back the bass. I don't have it set any higher than 11:00. Any higher and you risk getting more "flubby" sounding bass. Under 12:00 and the bass stays nice and tight. The mids I'll keep around 1:00 and the highs at about noon, maybe lower. The gain will go anywhere between 12-2:00 depending on what I'm looking for.

The blues channel can be extremely good as well. I was using the cleans on that channel for a while and getting really great, shimmery but mellow cleans with my PRS.

I always play tube-spongy... I should really experiment off that sometime.

I'm still working on tones with mine, too. Had it for a few months now and done several gigs with it in a metal band. I like that I can adjust the amp to fit the venue. Even playing metal I seem to be spending most of my time on the blues setting in tube/spongey and with massive volume get all the wailing, sustaining lead tones I could ever want. There are so many different ways to get a great tone from this thing. 8)

I just got the 2nd 212 recto cab today! Originally, I was going to buy the head, then get a 412, but I bought the TOV together with a 212, so found a good deal on another cab on the 'bay and it just arrived. Nice tight low end with lots of 'presence'...lots of air to push. I like the fact that it is a scaleable rig...only have to take one cab to practice and small gigs; but now have both for when it's outdoors or just to crank it and look cool... 8)

Mesa+LPEmail.jpg

Killer looking rig. Congrats. I love my Tremoverb. This coming from a Mark IV before. I like it's simplicity and wide range of tones. The blues mode smokes for so many applications.

Latest posts

Back