MV Owners: What's Your Power Tube Preferences?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MV Owners: 6L6's or EL-34's?

• Type of tube? EL34's or 6L6"s?

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Brand preference: Mesa or other?

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guitardr

Reaction score
I'm using the Boogie 6L6's, but just ran some Mullard EL-34's in it and liked them as well.
What are you using at the moment?

I am currently using the 6L6's from Mesa but I've had an issue with a bad power tube already :?
(Blew a resistor)
I love the sound of my Mark V but I hope a power tube doesn't go out on me again.
Cheers!

Adambomb said:
Dont really understand the poll...? both votes would be for everybody wouldnt it?

+1

Went from EL34s =C='s to running stock Mesa 6L6s now, and finally, finally, after 2 years of looking for my sound in all 3 modes, CH3 makes sense to me

Much prefer EL34s in my LSC though. It responds with tighter bottom end and tames the middy character of the amp

Adambomb said:
Dont really understand the poll...? both votes would be for everybody wouldnt it?
+10

The poll makes no sense. How do you vote for just 6L6's?

poll.jpg

Dom

+1on the move from EL34's to Mesa 6L6's. Isn't that curious how many of us have made that move.

I was running E34L's almost from the start, as they seemed to cut through the mix better. I convinced myself that was a better sound in the band. I went to Doug's tubes and got the preamp tube kit for the MV and picked up a new set of E34L's. I happened to have some new Mesa 6L6's and I threw them in a month ago. Wow! Between the preamp tube change and the 6L6s, the tone was so alive and responsive. It really sounds good and feels good.

So, +1 for the move to Mesa 6L6s.

Not a Mark V owner (would be if I didn't score a TriAxis so cheap), but I never let a chance go by to put in a good word for =C= 6L6s. Have an octet in my 2:90 and to me they sound perfect. Tight firm lows, smooth mids, silky but clear highs.

Seeing that I'm not getting any help from the OP explaining the poll......

I prefer the SED =C= SV6L6GC's. I tried the SED =C= EL34, and JJ E34L before returning to the SED =C= 6L6GC's.

Dom

Latest posts

Back