MV Combo Pricing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikedude

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I would like an updated current retail price for the V Combo new USA.
Thanks, for any replies. I think I may have been overcharged.

Bikedude said:
I know this has been discussed before, but I would like an updated current retail price for the V Combo new USA.
Thanks, for any replies. I think I may have been overcharged.

You really can't be over charged. You can over pay. The dealer net (cost) is the dealer net, it's the same for everyone. They can lower their price as low as they want but at some point they all start losing money this point is the same for everyone. This puts the dealers on the same footing so they can't drop their price and under cut each other. But the dealer can charge as high a price as he thinks his market will command if he a) wants to and b) can find someone that will pay it.

Mesa can have an MSRP but that just stands for manufacturer suggested retail price. Again it's their suggested price, the dealer can try and get more if he wants to.

Thats just the way selling works.

So if you don't mind exactly what is the going rate in your neck of the woods?

It has always been my understanding Mesa dealers have to use Mesa's pro net price without deviation or else they lose their contract with Mesa. At least from what I have seen from dealers, their prices reflect this. Here is the 2011 price list that was posted in another thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21208

MV Combo is listed as $2,249 base price

blazer986 said:
It has always been my understanding Mesa dealers have to use Mesa's pro net price without deviation or else they lose their contract with Mesa. At least from what I have seen from dealers, their prices reflect this. Here is the 2011 price list that was posted in another thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21208

MV Combo is listed as $2,249 base price

Yup, dealers have no wiggle room in either direction with Mesa gear. MSRP and street price are one and the same.

Reason for the OP was that the "tag" on the floor unit listed $2099 as the price, but I paid $2249, so I guess the tag was wrong, and i didn't want to get into an argument because it was tagged incorrectly.

Last time I was in the local store they said all mesa gear had gone up in price. Still not a reason to sell an already shipped amp at the new price. Well, I guess it could have be wrongly labeled.

According to my Mesa dealer legally he can sell it for as high a price he can. It's going the other way that he says there is no wiggle room.

My daughter works at Guitar Center. I get awesome deals there as a result (basically cost on most things) but not on Mesa. Everyone pays the same there, employees and customers. I wonder when I hear people claim they got 10 or 20 percent off.

Bikedude said:
Reason for the OP was that the "tag" on the floor unit listed $2099 as the price, but I paid $2249, so I guess the tag was wrong, and i didn't want to get into an argument because it was tagged incorrectly.
Does Mesa insist the retailers raise the price of amps they have in stock at the retail level even though the stock was purchased at the lower price? If not then the store sucks for acting like Exxon.
Maybe the amp was purchased at the new price but the employees marked using the old price because they weren't up to speed on the increase....hopefully that is the reason.

In portugal that would be ilegal.
In portugal if a Mark V is labeled 28€ at the time you buy it instead of 2800€ the store is forced to sell it to you for 2800€.

I've bought several things like this.
A friend of mine bought a Mac Pro 15'' for 1075€ instead of 1750€ because the price tag was incorrect. And they had to sell it for that price.

Let's Get Cynical.
If they wouldn't budge on the $150 I'd walk. Just say the magic word "Sweetwater".
GC got away with this because the salesperson gauged that the buyer wanted the amp much more that GC needed to sell it. Not only that, they correctly determined that the buyer wouldn't "complain" because he didn't want make his new "friend" the salesperson upset. BS, salespeople are not your "friend".
And let's not discount the idea that GC did this on purpose: lured the buyer with the sticker price, then raised it after the buyer has invested financially and emotionally, claiming "Oops, sorry, It's not our fault!"
Sales tactics used by GC are copied from tried and true methods developed by used car dealers. The idea is to get you to invest your time and emotions in the product. This makes it harder for you to walk away. The salespeople want to be your friend. They're on your side. But, sorry, rules are rules. You understand, don't you, little buddy?
Why do you think the guy from Sweetwater calls you even though you only bought a $10 item?
"Personal relationships". Bunk.
Caveat emptor, little buddy.

Bikedude said:

Was that $2249 before or after tax? It's not arguing if you're being charged more than what's on the tag. I'm in Cleveland - which GC was it?

Google search reveals the total sales tax rate for purchases in Cuyahoga County is 7.75 percent. Correct?
$2249 is a 9.3% increase over $2099.
I'm guessing the $2249 is the sticker price.
Discuss.

I live in Portage county, 6.75%. It was close enough for me to ask the question simply to participate in the discussion.

Here's the deal. 2010 price on Mk V combos were $2099. As of December 2010 the price was increased to $2249. We can sell an amplifier for whatever price we want, either higher or lower than pro net pricing. What we cannot do is advertise an amp for less than pro net. So as of december 2010 all of our pricing had to go up to current pro net.

However, as long as we still have 2010 stock, we are inclined and allowed to sell them at the old price, although we can't advertise it as such. Something boogie did allow us to do is place an ad on our website stating, "Call for special pricing on 2010 stock".

One possibility in your situation is the floor model was received before the price increase, and the new in box version you got was ordered after the price increase. Remember, dealers pay more too when the price is raised. Otherwise it could have been a mix up, or the dealer was just trying to eek a little extra margin out of you.

I think it was a mistake not to question the dealer at the time of the purchase. Did you get ripped off at $2249? No, that's what everyone will be paying this year. Could you have gotten it for $2099? Maybe, if the amp you received was ordered before Dec 2010.

HaggertysMusic said:
Here's the deal. 2010 price on Mk V combos were $2099. As of December 2010 the price was increased to $2249. We can sell an amplifier for whatever price we want, either higher or lower than pro net pricing. What we cannot do is advertise an amp for less than pro net. So as of december 2010 all of our pricing had to go up to current pro net.

However, as long as we still have 2010 stock, we are inclined and allowed to sell them at the old price, although we can't advertise it as such. Something boogie did allow us to do is place an ad on our website stating, "Call for special pricing on 2010 stock".

One possibility in your situation is the floor model was received before the price increase, and the new in box version you got was ordered after the price increase. Remember, dealers pay more too when the price is raised. Otherwise it could have been a mix up, or the dealer was just trying to eek a little extra margin out of you.

I think it was a mistake not to question the dealer at the time of the purchase. Did you get ripped off at $2249? No, that's what everyone will be paying this year. Could you have gotten it for $2099? Maybe, if the amp you received was ordered before Dec 2010.

Great info. Thank You.

So I'm curious, what would a local Mesa dealer give me in trade for a Mark IV short combo in good condition toward a Mark IV Combo? Any Idea?

The nearest one is 80 miles away so I don't get there much.

My ears are beginning to perk up towards a V...

2249 is the Current price. Same all over the net. I paid this for the floor model that was marked at the 2099 price. In 4 weeks I'm getting a brand new Mark V in the box from Mesa, so no big deal FWIW. Haggertys is selling them for 2249 as well as Humbucker Music. That's the price.

topcat0399 said:
HaggertysMusic said:

Great info. Thank You.

So I'm curious, what would a local Mesa dealer give me in trade for a Mark IV short combo in good condition toward a Mark IV Combo? Any Idea?

The nearest one is 80 miles away so I don't get there much.

My ears are beginning to perk up towards a V...

Trade in prices are pretty much dictated by eBay these days. When you do an ebay search you can look at completed listings and see what comparable items have actually sold for recently. Doing a search on the Mark IV shows a value of $1100 - $1300.

In that example, I would probably be willing to give you $900 - $1000 on trade. Each dealer may vary on this price depending on how fast they think they can turn the item. We have to make some profit on it for the time it takes to check an item in, clean it up, potential tube issues, and have it occupy valuable floor space in the retail environment.

You will always come out ahead if you take the time to market your used item on your own, and pay cash for your next amp. You could pocket that entire 1200 - 1300 by selling it on your own through eBay.

Well, you could pocket the entire $1200-$1300 if you sell it on Craig's List.
I've sold tons of gear on eBay, and eBay and Paypal combined are going to cost you 12% in fees. Then there's shipping.
But, Craig's List can take weeks, eBay's much faster.

Thanks for clearing things up for me Haggerty's(topcat). I would have bought the Mark from you guys in a heartbeat, but you know how "instant gratifacation" is! LOL. Anyway, GC did give me a fair price for my 7 year old, although pristine LSC, and I did have a Gift Cert. and a 15%off coupon, so i did the deal with them. GC gets a bad rap most places, but they do offer a lot of nice merchandise, at a fair price. The floor model is pretty much mint, and it did have the 2099 tag on it, but the tag over the amp on the shelf did say 2249, so when they "mesa" ships out the new amp, I just return the floor model, and I'm good to go. In the meantime, I get to use my MV however I want until the new one comes in. So in effect, there really was no waiting for an amp to come in, so I'm pleased. Did I mention how freakin great this amp sounds! Thanks boogie guys.

Latest posts

Back