Modifying my speaker to compliment my ROADSTER

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 4x12 rectifier cab with V30's. I noticed a huge improvement in sound when I removed the back panel. My Roadster sound can "breathe" now. However, I was thinking about making some holes in strategic places around the back panel and putting it back on. Does anyone have any tips on where to place holes or cutouts in the back to help give a really nice open/close sound with my cab? Thanks.

I do not recommend porting your cab unless you understand what you are doing. You could actually make it sound really bad by doing it blindly. You probably should consider the following:

Buy a Roadking cab, Buy an older 412 or 212 cab with the top speakers open back, or buy 2 212 cabs and run 1 open back, separate the top and bottom speaker with a baffle and run 1/2 the cab open and the other closed.

If you know a guitar speaker cabinet builder the last option would probably be feasible but unless you really know what you're doing I don't suggest possibly mauling your cab to experiment.

Greg

plan-x said:
I agree. You could build a new back from scratch.

Or order the the Roadking (or the 3/4 Open) back from Mesa directly.

I agree, you shouldn't just arbitrarily open holes...there is some mathematics/science involved when porting a cab....

Plus it seems that the Celestion 90's are normally used for open-back cabinets. The design parameters of the Celestion 30's probably don't match what is really feasible for open cabinets. You'd most certainly end up with giant holes in the frequency spectrum, which might possibly be to your liking. But just try to sell the cabinet once you've outgrown it.

Latest posts

Back