Mixing preamps...anyone ever try anything like this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmani99

Reaction score
I have 2 rectifiers and 2 marks. I would love to run them both at the same time, doesn't have to be stereo, just to get characteristics of both amps. But I would hate to drag 2 heads to small gigs and worry about having to mic 2 speakers.

So I had a thought and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it. What if I got a studio pre and split my guitar signal to go into the rectifier and studio pre. Then took the effects send of the rectifier and the output of the studio pre and combined them with a mixer or something and sent them both back into the rectifiers return.

Think that would work well? Anyone have experience with anything like this?

People have done this. You will not get the same result as running two separate amps, as you will not have a Mark power amp, which will affect the Mark part of the tone, and you will also be combining the frequency response of both preamps into the single power amp, which will affect the way the power amp responds to both signals.

Worth a try, for sure.

Yeah I think you are right. I had thought about all of the frequencies mixing and not being as good as totally separate amps so I agree with you there. I also agree about the power amp of the Mark not being there. Seems like it might be a reasonable compromise though for small gigs or just for kicks. I'll have to keep and eye out for a good deal on a quad or studio pre. Plus I'll wind up with another toy to play with. Who can argue with that!!? :D

You could get an effects loop pedal (minimum 2 loops) and hook it up. You can use one loop for the amp, the other for the preamp, or combine both. Hook it up as shown below, with or without EQ. Run time based effect pedals where the EQ is shown to make sure the effects are after the preamps and before the power amp.

The image below shows a loop pedal with two loops and a level on each loop. You can have either loop on or both on. One of the loops also has a phase switch just in case the signal is not in phase with the other signal (something you need to look out for). This particular pedal can also blend in the guitars direct clean signal, too, via a toggle switch. I have this pedal that I bought several years ago and am seriously impressed with it. Haven't seen anything like it since. The guy that made it also made some other unique pedals that he sold on ebay. I believe he has disappeared. A real shame.

Latest posts

Back