Mesa Triaxis vs. Marshall JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliensExist4

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking in to getting a pre-amp to go through my Mesa 2 channel Tripple Rect. as a power amp and I wanted to know if anyone here has played both the Mesa Boogie Triaxis and the Marshall JMP-1 and can tell me the pros and cons of each and compare the tones to eachother since these are the 2 pre-amps I'm currently looking at. Thanks

- Patrick

Hey,
if you're a member at Harmony central forums, seek for user "BillyCorgan", he posted a lot of clips on the amps forum made with JMP-1 and with triaxis. The JMP-1 always sounded better (amazing), triaxis was so-so.. he uses strategy 500 as a poweramp (i think he also had a 2:90 or 2:95).. He sold the triaxis and kept the JMP-1

I 'd say the Triaxis would be the best choice because of it's versatility. I have no problem getting a marshall sound out of it. I know it's a bit more expensive, but it's well worth it. You can never get mesa sound out of a Jmp-1.

JMP-1 - if you're only into marshall sound

Triaxis - if you want them bouth ;)

the triaxis you will have to tweak quite a bit tho. i used to have a JMP but i didnt like the user interface on it. seems like they did a sh** job in that area, sounds were good too, but still prefer the triaxis. it just offers so much more than the JMP

Ya, I' mainly trying to get a good mix between Mesa and Marshall but I want to hear some stuff coming from them both and then play them 1st.

- Patrick

I already had both.
Theres nothing to compare here they are completely different.
Triaxis = boogie tone
jmp1 = Marshall tone

Triaxis is way more versatile but its only mesa tone.
Jmp1 offer less and its only marshall tone.

Jmp1 is way more easy to tweak cause its offer less so you just choose a voice equalize it and thats it.To my ears it sounded like floor pedals.
Triaxis give you a really tube amp sound a really mesa tube amp sound and its never will sound like floor pedals.

The question here is wich tone do you want and how much is your budget ?
These 2 answers will give you what you need.

luck

Sombra: Thanks for the info. Ya I'm thinking about trying out the JMP-1 because I want to mix the Marshall tone with my Mesa 2 channel Tripple Rect. which is going to be used as my power amp for now. What do you think?

- Patrick

AliensExist4 said:
Sombra: Thanks for the info. Ya I'm thinking about trying out the JMP-1 because I want to mix the Marshall tone with my Mesa 2 channel Tripple Rect. which is going to be used as my power amp for now. What do you think?

- Patrick

I think is perfect .
You ll have both tones mesa and marshall.
I prefer mesa tone so I sold my jmp1.
If you want to play all kinds of rock like metal ,hard rock ,pop rock jmp1 is perfect.
Mesa is for dream theater kind of stuff.
Its not a rule cause I use my triaxis for everything .
Having mesa and marshall tones you ll be complete with tones.
I prefer mark tones over rectifier tones so in my case I have a triaxis.
Go for it

I dont know how a mp1 will sound through a rectifier.
It will be a marshall wich dont sound like a marshall.
Maybe a marshallfier
laughs

:shock: :shock: :D :D :evil:

I have tried the Jmp 1 and I have tried Mesa/ Boogie amps.

Marshall for Marshall tone and Mesa for Mesa.

A Marshall poweramp and a Mesa preamp takes the natural sound of the Mesa.

I keep my old Marshalls for that tone and the Mesa Quad with a Dean Markley I-20 as a poweramp until I find a stratey amp.

The Dean Markley amp does not take the tone of the Quad for some reason.

I've owned both units. I just recently bought another Triaxis- after years of being a head to cab guy. To me, the Triaxis sounds like an amp. While I was able to get some nice tones out of the JMP-1, it was always a fight. For me, and I may be the only one, the Triaxis is much easier to tweek on the fly. You can get some extremely fat tones out of the TA. The Marshall always sounded thin to me. However, YMMV.

The Marshall always sounded thin to me. However, YMMV.[/quote]

Like I said,jmp1 always sounded like floor pedals maybe a boss
heavy metal to me.

I really agree with you

+1

Mrmot said:
Hey,
if you're a member at Harmony central forums, seek for user "BillyCorgan", he posted a lot of clips on the amps forum made with JMP-1 and with triaxis. The JMP-1 always sounded better (amazing), triaxis was so-so.. he uses strategy 500 as a poweramp (i think he also had a 2:90 or 2:95).. He sold the triaxis and kept the JMP-1

can you please post the link to these clips as i cant find them on harmony central. thx

pop said:
can you please post the link to these clips as i cant find them on harmony central. thx
yeah, the search function is down :roll:

i'll contact the guy himself and ask him for links

I agree that the TA is head and shoulders above the JMP-1 in the tone department, but what I don't agree is that is the worst preamp around.
First of all you have to like the sound of that family of amps or you'll never be happy with it. And second it is very easy to dial a bad sound with it.
I think the TA is quite complex to tweak, but you find a lot of good tones there almost all the time. The JMP-1, IMHO, is quite the contrary, you have to work hard to get to the good tones and there are a lot of nasty places in between.
And the speaker emulated outputs are mediocre at best.
One of my best friends recorded a solo album a few years ago, you know, the usual guitar gymnastics stuff, just using the rec outs. I had a VERY hard time listening to those tones, and an even harder time thinking about how to tell the guy his tones didn't sound real at all.

Latest posts

Back