Mesa Rectifier Amps And Overdrive Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw when i play my les paul i actually prefer no boost for rhythm

right now i have these:

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/greenhouse-effects-middleman-boost/ (greenhouse middleman)

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/xotic-effects-bb-preamp-mb-overdrive/ (xotic bb preamp mb)

i've also owned an od808 and fulltone ocd. best boost for les paul rhythm is the middleman, but i still prefer it no boost. you still can't go wrong with any tubescreamer though

ironjose said:
so in conclusion i have to search and try every pedal for the best alternative?... :S oh well... if that means having the best sound i think its worth it

:lol:

It's really a matter of personal taste....... not only how you will use the boost/OD, but how it will interact with your rig and playing style.

Any of the pedals mentioned in this thread are a good start, buy used if you can and unload the ones you don't like on Ebay.

Dom

I recently started using my Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. The clean knob really let's my true tone through with a nice boost. I have about 5 more od's I wanna try. Lovepedal Kalamazoo and Crowther Audio Hotcake are on the top of my list. Ibanez sound great but too many people use them and I'm always looking for something different than everybody else has.

I've used lots of different OD's over the years TS-9's (in lots of different forms), Badder Monkey (Humphrey Audio), Ectasy (Wampler) Chandler Tube Driver (Pedal and Rack versions). For my Recto Rec Pre I find that for playing Rhy that I typically do not require an OD as I use extensive EQ-ing. But!...when I do feel the need to push the front harder I prefer the Monte Allums Mod on the TS-9 coupled with an EQ to get me where I need to be. It's thick yet fairly transparent and along with time spent on the EQ makes my picking jump out of the guitar.

domct203 said:
ironjose said:
so in conclusion i have to search and try every pedal for the best alternative?... :S oh well... if that means having the best sound i think its worth it

:lol:

It's really a matter of personal taste....... not only how you will use the boost/OD, but how it will interact with your rig and playing style.

Any of the pedals mentioned in this thread are a good start, buy used if you can and unload the ones you don't like on Ebay.

Dom

Hey Dom, well i was just hoping to get a straight answer... you know... "with a dual rec use this one... with a roadster use this other..." but deep inside of me i was thinking that... to get a bunch of pedals and try them out and the one i was sure "tone wise" was going to be the one...
thanks man for the reply

ironjose said:
It's probably worth mentioning that most of the pedals listed so far are "Tube Screamer family" overdrives - certainly the SD-1, Bad Monkey, and Sparkle Drive are, and so are probably about half of all the fancy booteek overdrives ever made. I marginally prefer the SD-1 with my Tremoverb, but I'd probably be happy with the others too, including any Tube Screamer, or Maxon version. You really can't go wrong with any of these as a starting point - in fact, I would pick a standard cheap one and try it before spending more money on anything which is essentially just a (very slightly, in some cases) tweaked version of the same basic circuit.

94Tremoverb said:
It's probably worth mentioning that most of the pedals listed so far are "Tube Screamer family" overdrives - certainly the SD-1, Bad Monkey, and Sparkle Drive are, and so are probably about half of all the fancy booteek overdrives ever made. I marginally prefer the SD-1 with my Tremoverb, but I'd probably be happy with the others too, including any Tube Screamer, or Maxon version. You really can't go wrong with any of these as a starting point - in fact, I would pick a standard cheap one and try it before spending more money on anything which is essentially just a (very slightly, in some cases) tweaked version of the same basic circuit.

Thanks man... that thought about it all weekend... there is a friend who is selling a SD-1 i'm going to give it a try... but at the end of the month probably i'm going to buy a TS9 which is moded dont know who mod it... but it has to mini toggles...
anyway i'm problably going to try as many OD i came accross

I prefer a TS-9 I have an old one that Ive had since the early 80s.

For metal rythyms I dont use it thou, I prefer straight amp for that, I just use the TS-9 to boost for solos

I really like the sound of the MXR Classic OD and it was only $30 at GC. It's essentially a Zakk Wylde OD & GT-OD in one box. Crank the level, and drive at zero. Really tightens up the rhythm.

okay i think i found the overdrive for my new roadster...
have you guys heard of the Route 66 OD/Comp??? i tried it and i love it... and a friend is selling his for $100 its ok right?

I had a fryette boostassio clean boost for my vox but didnt jive with that amp, got a microphonic noises with that amp but worked real good with the class 5 amp. EF86 tube powered pedal gave it more oomph! and clarity, prb be killer with my boogie.

I have the following pedals

Maxon OD808- Great with the rec's if you want a boost and to keep the sound as natural as possible My sec fav pedal.

Ibanez TS9- My fav pedal with the rec, gives a slight mid boost, cuts a Tiny bit of the low end out and makes it scream.

Boss SD1- I prefer this pedal with marshall amps only, just cant make it sound good with my rec, or at least how i want it to sound.

Sparkle Drive- I really have not had time to play with this pedal, but i hear great things about it, one of these days.

Fluff, one of the board members here has a good comparison of the Maxon VS the Ibanez, the TS9 sounds a bit better then the TS9DX, but close enough that you can tell in his video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvFbCeAJBw

NorCal-Mesa said:
My Mini's

004.jpg

Is the Orange a two channel head. Will these hang in a band setting or small club?

I often hear the best is the Ibanez Hand Wired Tube Screamer but it is $350 new!

siggy14 said:
I have the following pedals

Maxon OD808- Great with the rec's if you want a boost and to keep the sound as natural as possible My sec fav pedal.

Ibanez TS9- My fav pedal with the rec, gives a slight mid boost, cuts a Tiny bit of the low end out and makes it scream.

Boss SD1- I prefer this pedal with marshall amps only, just cant make it sound good with my rec, or at least how i want it to sound.

Sparkle Drive- I really have not had time to play with this pedal, but i hear great things about it, one of these days.

Fluff, one of the board members here has a good comparison of the Maxon VS the Ibanez, the TS9 sounds a bit better then the TS9DX, but close enough that you can tell in his video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvFbCeAJBw

screamingdaisy said:
With my 90s Recto I get the best results with a Maxon OD808. It blends so naturally it's like it's part of the amp.

The OD808 doesn't jive with my Roadster however. The amp and pedal distortions stay separate and it feels like you're playing through a pedal instead of an amplifier. With the Roadster I've gotten better results with a Fulltone Full Drive 2.
+1 fulltone full drive2, very versitile.

Love my OCD with my Roadster...AND my GT OD! keep them both on my board with the Roadster. Some days I sneak around and use the OCD by itself, some days turn the gain down a little and boost with it. When I'm in the mood for metal the GT OD is great for boost. When we're giggin I use it for my "dirty-clean" tone (that really doesn't make sense...hope someone can relate).

Cool thing about the MXR GT OD - it's the exact same pedal as the Zakk Wylde OD. Internal switch moves it to and fro between GT OD and ZW OD. Going to mod it with an external switch to move between the two....

Allums modded OD3 or BD2
Analogman or Allums modded TS9DX
Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Subdecay Supernova
Barber Custom or Small Fry
Super Signa Drive or Tube Slammer
BB Preamp +
Plimsoul

I like the Barber Custom because I can tweak almost to the sound I hear in my head by using the internal trim pots. If you start stacking pedals it opens even more doors and black holes.

Depends a lot on the amp and the guitar pickups, etc. and what other pedals you use. No substitute for buy it and try it.......it's the only way to be sure. Just keep in mind that pedals are (imo) for people who can't turn their amps up full blast.

Latest posts

Back