Mesa Mark III vs Mesa Mark III Coliseum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow007

Reaction score
First post and been a very happy Mesa Boogie user for over 2 years with a 2 channel triple rectifier and a blue stripe mark iii simul-class with all the options like the c++ mod, reverb, eq, etc. I love my Mesa Mark III but curiosity has got the best of me and I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions about the difference between the Mark III and the Mark III coliseum.

Is there a big volume difference between the Mark III and the Mark III coliseum? Basically will the Mark III Coliseum hang better volume wise with a triple rectifier?
Is the mark III coliseum more full in the low end than the regular mark III? Any differences with respect to the mids and treble?
Is it punchier and more of an immediate attack?
Would the blue stripe or the green stripe be better for high gain metal and what about the c+ or c++ mod?

Thanks to anybody with information.

Yes there is a huge volume difference between a regular III and a coli.
Yes the coli will and does hang better with a triple rec.
Yes the coli is more full in the low end than the regular III, mids and treble are about the same.
Yes it is punchier and has more attack.

Not sure what stripe is better for metal, my Mark III coli is a blue stripe and I play metal.

The headroom is unbelievable!
This is my opinion on MY amp.

Yes, the Coli is more "tight" in the bass frequencies, and seems to have more "balls" than a typical Mark III running 4 power tubes.

I play metal, and I own both a Mark III Coli and a Mark III Long Head. IMHO, both of these would be perfect for any type of metal you can throw at them. I contest that the Mark IIIs have more gain than any other amp to date. My brother uses the Peavey 5150/6505/6505+s and my Mark gets more gain without becoming undefined.

To answer your question bluntly, yes, ANY Mark III would crush any metal/rock tone you attempt. A GEQ would help you "focus" the tone, but isn't mandatory as long as you know how a global EQ works.

And as far a Coli vs. non-Colis go, I think I'm safe saying that Colis have a tone all their own in the same way Mark IIC+s have a different tone than a Mark V set to "IIC+ mode". The difference isn't so much in tone, it's in the "feel". The amps may scope the same, but feel much different.

Thanks very much for the info guys. I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Have you guys ever seen the TV show Home Improvement where Tim Taylor is always trying to get "More power" out of his tools? That's what I was thinking with my mark III. I thought the route of going to a separate coliseum would be a good option but they seem very hard to come by so maybe the best option for me would be to try a power amp like a Strategy 400/500 and use my current mark III as a pre amp?

Snow007 said:

Have you guys ever seen the TV show Home Improvement where Tim Taylor is always trying to get "More power" out of his tools? That's what I was thinking with my mark III. I thought the route of going to a separate coliseum would be a good option but they seem very hard to come by so maybe the best option for me would be to try a power amp like a Strategy 400/500 and use my current mark III as a pre amp?

Yeah, any power amp rated for 100+ watts should give you the extra headroom you're looking for (remember, normal Mark IIIs are actually less than 100 watts).

As far as volume goes, a Coli will slaughter a Triple Rectifier (IMHO of course) for two simple reasons. The first (and probably most obvious) reason is the sheer amount of available headroom. The second (and I guess this comes down to your personal experiences) is the "cut" of the Coli in a band environment. Most people that have played in a two-guitarist band can tell you that volume doesn't always mean you'll be heard over the other instruments. Sometimes the mids play an important role in how well an instrument is perceived. Back when the only amp I only owned was Triple Rectifier, my co-guitarist owned a Marshall JCM 800 2203 (100 watt head). Based on numbers alone, obviously I owned the volume game (my extra 50 watts gave me an additional 2-3db over the 2203). So how was the Marshall heard over the Boogie? Well, it all came down to where our mids sat in the mix. I loved playing rhythm guitar, and I loved the girth (that's what she said) that my tone had. Many other guitarists were in awe of my tone, but my leads sounded somewhat anemic. The reason was my mids were focused more on the "low mids", and his Marshall resided in the upper mids, which my Triple had essentially dialed out in favor of that chest-pummeling, meaty tone.

So, what's the point of all this superfluous narrative? Well, to simplify the above description, if you want to be heard in a mix, maybe volume isn't the solution, maybe you need to select an amp that has some strong upper-midrange characteristics. But, you're in luck! Mark IIIs have a broad midrange character to them. If you're worried about being heard against a Triple Rectifier, I would actually reason that a 60 watt Mark III will make you stand out and be heard over a Triple Rectifier. I don't currently own a 60 watt Mark III, but I do own 3 different Dual and Triple Rectifiers (currently all 2 channels), and I currently own 4 Mark IIIs (standard and Coliseum Blue Stripes) and Mark IVs, and these little amps can be heard over a Triple Rectifier at the apex of it's a available volume! The later versions of the Marks cut through anything standing in its way, from Peavey 5150s/6505s, Bogners, Marshalls, Oranges, everything!!!!

Now, to address the difference between a Mark III Coliseum and a Mark III Standard. My Coli sounds virtually identical to my normal Mark III at a comparable volume. But, if you continue to push the Coli, it's low end starts to become more prominent, the mids hit harder and harder and the treble retains it's liquidy, sweet character. My Coli can get also get low mids so authoritative that it sounds more like a Rectifier, but with such a tight lower end, you'll think the Blue Stripe Coliseums were the start of the Rectifier tone. No joke. Seriously.

So, if you want to be heard over other guitarists, start using your mids to cut through. If you lack the mids needed to get you "out in front", start looking at clean headroom via higher wattages. Since Colis are more scarce than the IIC+ (Mesa, Can we PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ have a reissue?????), you may want to slave a Mark III into a decent power amp (preferably something with Simul-Class). Yes the Mark IIIs sound identical to the Coliseums at the same decibel levels, be Colis stay cleaner and louder; longer, but when the Coli is pushed to the brink of its Power, the Low-Mids kick you in the chest, and the low end gets tighter and tighter. I hope this answers some of your questions, and hopefully gives you some possibilities to pursue to get your best tone ever!

fretout said:
Snow007 said:

Yeah, any power amp rated for 100+ watts should give you the extra headroom you're looking for (remember, normal Mark IIIs are actually less than 100 watts).

As far as volume goes, a Coli will slaughter a Triple Rectifier (IMHO of course) for two simple reasons. The first (and probably most obvious) reason is the sheer amount of available headroom. The second (and I guess this comes down to your personal experiences) is the "cut" of the Coli in a band environment. Most people that have played in a two-guitarist band can tell you that volume doesn't always mean you'll be heard over the other instruments. Sometimes the mids play an important role in how well an instrument is perceived. Back when the only amp I only owned was Triple Rectifier, my co-guitarist owned a Marshall JCM 800 2203 (100 watt head). Based on numbers alone, obviously I owned the volume game (my extra 50 watts gave me an additional 2-3db over the 2203). So how was the Marshall heard over the Boogie? Well, it all came down to where our mids sat in the mix. I loved playing rhythm guitar, and I loved the girth (that's what she said) that my tone had. Many other guitarists were in awe of my tone, but my leads sounded somewhat anemic. The reason was my mids were focused more on the "low mids", and his Marshall resided in the upper mids, which my Triple had essentially dialed out in favor of that chest-pummeling, meaty tone.

So, what's the point of all this superfluous narrative? Well, to simplify the above description, if you want to be heard in a mix, maybe volume isn't the solution, maybe you need to select an amp that has some strong upper-midrange characteristics. But, you're in luck! Mark IIIs have a broad midrange character to them. If you're worried about being heard against a Triple Rectifier, I would actually reason that a 60 watt Mark III will make you stand out and be heard over a Triple Rectifier. I don't currently own a 60 watt Mark III, but I do own 3 different Dual and Triple Rectifiers (currently all 2 channels), and I currently own 4 Mark IIIs (standard and Coliseum Blue Stripes) and Mark IVs, and these little amps can be heard over a Triple Rectifier at the apex of it's a available volume! The later versions of the Marks cut through anything standing in its way, from Peavey 5150s/6505s, Bogners, Marshalls, Oranges, everything!!!!

Now, to address the difference between a Mark III Coliseum and a Mark III Standard. My Coli sounds virtually identical to my normal Mark III at a comparable volume. But, if you continue to push the Coli, it's low end starts to become more prominent, the mids hit harder and harder and the treble retains it's liquidy, sweet character. My Coli can get also get low mids so authoritative that it sounds more like a Rectifier, but with such a tight lower end, you'll think the Blue Stripe Coliseums were the start of the Rectifier tone. No joke. Seriously.

So, if you want to be heard over other guitarists, start using your mids to cut through. If you lack the mids needed to get you "out in front", start looking at clean headroom via higher wattages. Since Colis are more scarce than the IIC+ (Mesa, Can we PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ have a reissue?????), you may want to slave a Mark III into a decent power amp (preferably something with Simul-Class). Yes the Mark IIIs sound identical to the Coliseums at the same decibel levels, be Colis stay cleaner and louder; longer, but when the Coli is pushed to the brink of its Power, the Low-Mids kick you in the chest, and the low end gets tighter and tighter. I hope this answers some of your questions, and hopefully gives you some possibilities to pursue to get your best tone ever!

For my situation I think this comes down to clean headroom where I just want to be able to have the option of similar volume levels between amps at loud volumes. I understand what you're saying about standing out in a mix but this is just for me at home by myself mostly. I'm also not into the typical mid scoop thing, usually my settings are:

Volume 1 - 8
Treble - 8
Bass - 2.5 / 3
Mids - 3
Master - 2 / 3
Lead drive - 7.5
Lead master - 7
Presence - 6

My EQ looks like the classic boogie V except instead of lowering the 750 hz slider I keep it neutral in the middle.

From what I read online from various posters and what I've thought, I believe I'm heading in the right direction but it's nice when someone has already done the leg work and can explain it like you have with the mark iii vs the coliseum. I also notice fretout that you have similar tastes in amps as me, Simul Mark III blue stripe and 2 channel Triple Rectifier rev G here.

With the scarcity of the coliseums I think I might try looking at a power amp. I've considered the simul 3:95 and the strategy 400/500. I have no experience with any of them but I think the 3:95 wouldn't have the headroom to keep up with a triple rectifier but I could be wrong. I know the strategy 400/500s aren't simul-class but I don't know if that would be a huge issue with me. I'm looking for clean headroom to be able to equal out any 2 amps and I think the strategy series has the most headroom of any power amp mesa has put out but I want to retain the character of the mark I have now, just more of it. Have you ever hooked up your mark III to a power amp like a simul 3:95 or strategy 400/500 and compared it to the Coli?

Thanks again!

I have a red stripe mkkIII and a red stripe mk III coli..Ive found that the reg III sounds just fine in every way at lower volumes..And the coli does too,but the coli just has a certain, "special" feel to it, especially like everyone says here, when you push the volume up- lookout!....it"ll slay dragons...no wonder Sykes and Tarasaki used these things back in the day.

sotosprince said:
Does anyone know how many mark III coliseum models were produced?

I've read around 300+. I don't know how true that is though :lol:

The coliseum is a great amp, but I wouldn't recommend it for the bedroom.

sotosprince said:

The series 300 amps came as wide heads and 1x15 wide body combos. Mark IIB approximate-336

Mark IIC-IIC+ either 180 watt class AB or 150 watt simul class approximate-86

Mark III 180 watt or simul class approximate-78

Total is approximately 500

mesaboogie6L6 said:
sotosprince said:

The series 300 amps came as wide heads and 1x15 wide body combos. Mark IIB approximate-336

Mark IIC-IIC+ either 180 watt class AB or 150 watt simul class approximate-86

Mark III 180 watt or simul class approximate-78

Total is approximately 500
Thx a lot!

Back