Mesa Boogie Mark III green stripe chassis...unusual marking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnieboy2

Reaction score
OK, I have a puzzle here...Removed the chassis from my Mark III green stripe amp to clean up contacts, pots, etc.. and noticed something a little strange. The amp has been serviced and the caps replaced, it's an '89 production. The strange thing is someone has marked the chassis with something I can't figure out what it is or what it means. It's done in green marker and has the same date as the production date which also appears on the chassis but not in green. Anybody have an idea, I thought maybe some sort of mod was done, but the folks at Mesa say it was nothing done by them but might have been a 'wiring' person being 'cute'. Any good clues appreciated...

MBIII_11_zps20f956a8.jpg
[/url][/img]

mirrored, the word is almost Hoho- though dunno about the I enbedded in the H.. maybe a cute xmas reference by a production person?? but 27/7/89 is nowhere near December...

Yes, I thought about a mirrored image, but makes no sense. Don't think it's a date, not familiar with the 27th month of the year. Just wish it wasn't there since it raises questions from a prospective buyer that I cannot answer. :cry:

johnnieboy2 said:
Yes, I thought about a mirrored image, but makes no sense. Don't think it's a date, not familiar with the 27th month of the year. Just wish it wasn't there since it raises questions from a prospective buyer that I cannot answer. :cry:

Outside the US it's almost always DD/MM/YY, not MM/DD/YY, Sure the amp was born in the US, but the guy with the marker might not have been :) Those are cool markings though, and I haven't got a clue about them. Would probably drive me crazy lol. I suppose you could tell a prospective buy that the "#2" means it is an early version of whatever it is ;)

Military does day/month/yr but I really don't think that's it since they abbreviate the month, ie. "27 Aug 89". The caps have been replaced, but Boogie says not by them and I found a couple of 'newer' solder joints...all that made me think maybe a mod, but why repeat the production date? I am an info junkie on everything I buy, so yes, it's driving me nuts!

In my opinion, those are Korean letters. If so, it makes sense that the date is written in DD/MM/YY format.
Obviously, those are not Chinese characters. Also, dates in China use the YY/MM/DD format.

If it was produced in July 1989, it is one of the earliest green stripe amps produced.

Has it been wired at Mesa by a Korean employee? Has it been owned by a Korean or ever serviced/had a mod (#2) in Korea?

Hahaha! That's funny!

No expert here. It's just that I lived in China for 5 years some 20 years ago and I traveled to Korea some times during that period so I have had exposure to Chinese characters (could write and read 400 characters at that time) and to Korean letters.

igfraso said:
Hahaha! That's funny!

No expert here. It's just that I lived in China for 5 years some 20 years ago and I traveled to Korea some times during that period so I have had exposure to Chinese characters (could write and read 400 characters at that time) and to Korean letters.

That's awesome! To me, it looks like it says "Hoho"...

Back