Marshall JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***wicked***

Reaction score
Oh my god. I barrowed this pre-amp from my friend for a while and hooked it up to my mesa cab. It totally amazed me. Very tight tones and powerful drive. It gave me my missing unmuddy sound that i ve tired from my dual rectifier. The sound was close to Metallica's black album. Also its price is very reasoble.I dont know man is it just me or anyone else knows about this beast?

I've had mine in my rig since '92 (I think), and I wouldn't think of getting rid of it. Not as good for cleans as some other preamps perhaps, but the crunch sounds are killer IMO. Especially running thru my Strategy 500. I have a TS9 that I run in front of the pre, and that really smooths out the distortion tones.

i had one for a time, and ran it into the effects return of my Mark 2B, using it as a power amp only...

this was a pretty good sounding rig, but i never liked the cleans, the direct out was unusable to my ears, and after all was said and done, i liked the boogie preamp sound better than the JMP-1.
it felt more immediate, and i liked the voicing better in the mix.
the jmp, in the mix, to my ears, sounded a bit washed out, or too blended, if that makes sense.

still, a usable preamp for sure, especially if you've got it tied into midi-run effects, for many patches (good for a cover gig, maybe?)

rabies said:
oh and contrary to popular opinion about Marshalls tone EQ stack being fairly static and unresponsive, this is not the case with the EQ on this preamp. it works, but still not decided about the bass shift...

I know what you mean about the bass shift. I think depending on what sort of gear is being connected, really plays a integral part on that. I've got so much stuff connected, multi-effects, eq's, pedal of all sorts, that there are so many variables, I don't even need the bass shift. I think that for someone who was just running a set up,( guitar-->JMP-1-->amp), with the limited flexability as far as eq goes, the bass shift would probably play a bigger part.

Latest posts

Back