Mark V vs. Triaxis/2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff5

Reaction score
I'm currently a Triaxis/2:90 user but am kind of gassing for a Mark V. I'm not unhappy with my Triaxis setup at all mind you, however on paper the Mark V seems like it would be a fantastic amp.

I'm mostly a metal player, but also play some rock, hard rock, classic rock country rock and blues. For those of you who have owned (or do own) both, and possibly play similar styles of music, which do you like better? Or what are the pros and cons or just opinions in general. Like I said, I play mostly metal, but I want versatility out of my amps, and what I gravitate most towards on the Triaxis is the Mark III (LD2 Red) mode for that singing lead tone.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Thanks! I wish I could own both but I don't think I could justify it to my wife =D.

I think it's a toss up between simplicity or functionality.

Remember that with the TriAxis you have a wide array of readily available tones at the push of a button on your MIDI footswitch, while on the Mark V you only have 3 sounds at once and if you want more you need to re-tweak the whole thing and possibly write things down etc.

I've heard (but not owned) both and to me they sound close enough that I don't want the Mark V - I'd have to sacrifice MIDI capability for what is almost the same tone. So in short - the TriAxis stomps all over the Mark V in terms of functionality, but you might not need that.

Thanks Jackie.

That is kind of why I like the Triaxis, for the versatility. That being said, I probably don't take advantage of it to its fullest degree. It's kind of a nice to have for me, but not totally required. As long as I have a few different tones and a lead boost, I'm generally good. Again, this is something I'm just tossing around in my head and wanted some view points. Thanks!

Jeff

I find the MkV really more "alive" than the TA, more open, the TA being more compressed.
About versatility, I used to like having 10 or more tones with the TA, but I finally always ended with only 2, 3 or 4 (with a tubescreamer) so the MkV really get my preference.

I have never had the privilege to play a MV (yet), but from comparing the videos of them to triaxis videos on youtube, and my own experience with the Triaxis, I would say that if you enjoy the triaxis, keep that. The MV videos I here tend to be more compressed than the Mark II-IV videos I find, and it may be that you enjoy the compression more than the openness. I have a quad pre and comparing that to a triaxis, there is a compression difference and how it responds is very different. I imagine the response is probly one of the largest differences between the two setups.

Triaxis Pros: Complete change of settings at the touch of a button, multiple iterations of each "channel."

MarkV Pros: typical choice of most for better tone (but that is subjective). Power amp changes (triode/pentode, rectifier)

Triaxis cons: high cost to retube (with a 290)

MarkV cons: only one mode in each channel at a time

I know people rave about the cleans in the mark v, but I can't see them being world's better than a roadster's cleans, and my triaxis and roadster sounded pretty much the same in the cleans (both GREAT).

JMMP said:
I know people rave about the cleans in the mark v, but I can't see them being world's better than a roadster's cleans, and my triaxis and roadster sounded pretty much the same in the cleans (both GREAT).
For my tastes the MKV has a better clean channel than the Roadster. Neither is bad, but I prefer the MKV's clean over the Roadster's. It feels more open & chimey.

YMMV

Dom

Ask yourself if you want pure tone bliss or processed sounds?!? the answer is in the question my friend.......... :wink:

i owned a triaxis rig for over a decade and last year sold it and got a Mark v......honestly, their is no comparison to true versatility because of the midi programming in the triaxis.

for tonal comparisons I would rate the V slightly ahead of the triaxis but very very very little. i love my Mark V and it is the best amp I have ever owned but if I had to do all over again I'm not sure I would do it again.....mostly just for the loss of being able to tap one button on a foot controller and changing a multitude of things.

you cant really go wrong either way but based on what you said was the most important to you then stick with the triaxis.

I sold my TriAxis / 2:90 rig not because I was unhappy with the sound, but wanted to get back to simplicity. I tweaked for years to get a directory of sounds I hardly ever used, and felt enslaved to my gear. Tone and functionality were outstanding, but more than I needed

I now have 3 Mesa heads and a Matchless Indy, and couldn't be happier. I can get the sound and response I want, whenever the mood takes, and have re-learned to use the amp as an instrument rather than a bank of sounds from which I felt somehow remote

Could I get similar sounds from both set ups? Absolutely, but the MKV gives it back to me with a connection I did not have with the Tri. To get versatility from 3 channels in the MKV, I am using the guitar vol / tone knobs more than I did with the Tri, because I have to ... which is ultimately more satisfying :mrgreen:

Right on man, i love tweaking and twisting knobs, old school . i hate digital processing S?!?T! you know having to waste a day to figure out how to dial in a certain sound. i don't know but i'm old school and i ain't gettin' along with this dig tech! PERIOD: Mark V all the WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :twisted: :twisted:

ricorocks said:
Ask yourself if you want pure tone bliss or processed sounds?!? the answer is in the question my friend.......... :wink:

The Triaxis is no more processed than the Mark 5.

I've owned both, and loved them. I like my Mark 5 head because it is what it is. With all the options, you still only get 3 sounds, therefore reducing the urge to tweak and save new sounds, over and over. Knobs are better for live use, and with the Triaxis, if I needed to tweak something and save it, I felt like I was saving over my secret tone settings. Knobs are more visual and less permanent.

And, with the Triaxis, I always felt the need to fill up whatever rack it was in.

TriAxis6 said:
Buy to MK V just because!
Stick with the Tri/2:90 rig for versatility
i too am a verrrry long time tri/290 player...some days im more into the very heavy brutal metal,and some days i tend toward the technical instrumental metal(yngwie,paul gilbert,petrucci,,the list goes on) :twisted:
but i have to say my mkv is kick *** and keeps up in every way with the triaxis,,
i bought the v in a combo just so i would have a different setup other than the 2:90 rig..and really like it so far...
the tri and the V are totally different animals but both have alot to offer in the vast world of tone,,,,,
i like the V for the eq and the 2:90 for the deep mode. both are great,,,,don't sell one for the other
lead 2 red in the tri is awesome.with the deep mode engaged in the 2:90

Jedro said:
Knobs are better for live use, and with the Triaxis, if I needed to tweak something and save it, I felt like I was saving over my secret tone settings. Knobs are more visual and less permanent.

Yeah I had the tweaking disease for around a year owning my TriAxis... then, when I hit the "magic" settings, I saved it and I have kept that tone since that, that was December last year! I only tweak the Presence on the 2:90 to suit the room. TBH I've quite forgotten how to tinker with my TriAxis because I've kept my "holy" sounds saved for some time now :lol:

well i don't like the idea of needing an engineering degree to set up a/several sounds... i love mechanical things, that's just me, of course the tri -axis is fine, but it is NOT as pure sounding as the Mark V AMP. that tone is pure Bliss especially set to Hard by pass . but to each his own man Rock On and enjoy .. i do agree that you can keep your setttings secret with the TRI , everyone can see for ex. your lead setting on a V amp, unless you place the back of the amp in front of the audience LOL :twisted: :twisted:

The Triaxis is actually not that hard to use at all. It has a learning curve, but no more than any Boogie amp.

I can see falling into the hole of tinkering too much. Personally, I use the Triaxis more like a traditional amp than one with a zillion channels. Meaning that I have a few presets that are my go to and I use them 90% of the time. It's fun to tinker, but I'd rather play.

I have an opportunity to try a Mark V so I'm going to be playing around with one for the next few weeks. I should get my Triaxis back from Boogie soon too so I can truly see how I like them side by side.

I don't have my Triaxis back yet but I had a real chance to tinker with all the channels tonight on the Mark V.

Wow. Every channel and mode sounds good. I played everything from clean to all out metal. I couldn't get a bad sound. Keep in mind the one I'm using I believe is broke. The reverb and foot switch don't work. With absolutely no effects the thing sounded amazing.

I don't know if I'll sell my Triaxis and 2:90, but the Mark V is a hell of an amp.

LOL told you that the "V" is the "V"!!! No doubt about it..it's f?!?n' fantastic. glad you're enjoying the great /awesome tones outta the "V" . Rock on man... :twisted:

Back