Mark V tidbits

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bryan_kilco said:
I agree guys, but think about how long the thing has been in prototype mode, being demoed by players, etc. im sure they worked out a bunch of the quirks by now, no?

Yeah, but it's not that there will be anything "wrong" with it. Mesa just tends to get jumpy and likes to tweak. Take the Recto for example, it was late 88 to 89 when that started and 92 before it hit the shelves, and we see how long that took for new revisions to start coming out... :lol: The amp will sound amazing and there will be nothing wrong with it at all, but it doesn't mean they won't want to tinker with it more.

bryan_kilco said:
I agree guys, but think about how long the thing has been in prototype mode, being demoed by players, etc. im sure they worked out a bunch of the quirks by now, no?
You are right!

Just my paranoia hard at work :D

But I still cant help but think "Road King" 1 & 2

but again, you might want to have one of the first run. I hear so much about how the first DR's and markIVa's are the best... :)

It seems like they've incorporated most of the Triaxis modes. I am very curious what kinda voicing Extreme in Channel 3 does.

Silverwulf said:
If all of that turns out to be true, we're in for one hell of an amp. If it does indeed have the exact IIC+ and IV circuitry on those modes, I think the used market is about to plummet on both of those amps.

quote]

I can see the prices of IV's dropping a bit but not the IIC+. The Roadster and Roadking have come out and people are still overpaying for the early 2 channel Rectos.

danyeo1 said:
I can see the prices of IV's dropping a bit but not the IIC+. The Roadster and Roadking have come out and people are still overpaying for the early 2 channel Rectos.

Oh, I can see that. But there's some fundamental tonal differences in early revision Rectos versus the RK. The above is under the assumption that rumors are true and it does have the exact IIC+ and IV circuit in there and the tone is pretty spot on. It's then that I think the used market will plummet on both.

hey. so it has come to my attention that the mark V everyone's playing is a prototype and is a little different than the final version of the amp. minor details. i can't talk about it really.

went to mesa hollywood today as i'm in socal on business for two weeks and the mark v wasn't there :(

but i did have a very long conversation with the guys working there. from what they were saying the IIC mode is dead on and they know because they had one in and a/b'd them. They were really floored with the amp and loved the cleans (like all have said). They said that we should hear the big official news in about a week or so.

Silverwulf said:
danyeo1 said:

Oh, I can see that. But there's some fundamental tonal differences in early revision Rectos versus the RK. The above is under the assumption that rumors are true and it does have the exact IIC+ and IV circuit in there and the tone is pretty spot on. It's then that I think the used market will plummet on both.

Here is my take on this subject. I had an early MkIVA that would get "scary" close to the C+ lead channel tone wise. BUT, the rest of the amps' channels would not come close to the "juicy" (for lack of a better term) sound that the C+ can deliver in the rhythm channel and lower gain regions of the lead channel. By all the decriptions of the MkV that I have seen, the C+ mode is on channel 3 (lead channel). If it is spot-on C+, it will satisfy the metalhead in all of us (and I'm sure it will). The concern is the rest of the amps' channels. Maybe channel 2 will deliver what some people were missing on the MkIV Rh2. I feel like channel 1 will be as good as the Lonestar, in the clean dept. 8)

If all this is true, and there are no "issues" like the RK1, here is what I see happening:

A nice used MkIV will be $1000 or less, depending on age and condition.

A nice used "loaded" MkIII with footswitches will be between $600-$700, depending on stripe color and condition.

The C+ will probably move to the vintage/collector status (Blackface Fender, Marshall Plexi) instead of the "Metallica, Dream Theater" amp. The prices will not be quite as high as in the glory days, but I don't see them hitting "rock bottom" either.

Just one man's opinion, though. :D

phyrexia said:
would love to blab about it. cannot. it's over $2000 after tax.
so, you're saying it's under $2k before taxes... ;) (hmm $1999.99 ?)

The V is not a I,II,III or IV.
We know from the reveiws it is a "Best of the Mark's"
The V does not do all the sounds of any of the amps.
There well always be people that like one or the other.
The prices of the amp have gone up and down a little at a time all along.
I do not think the price of any of the amps are going to change much at all.
If at all.
I hope some of you guys that want one of the other amps get a good deal.
But I do not see that window being open very long.

according to the people who've played it it has a Mark I mode, a Mark IIC+ mode, and a Mark IV mode. So it does do many of the mark sounds, 'apparently'.

If what people are saying about the V is true, its gonna be one badass amp, but one thing's for sure, I won't be one of those people putting my IIC+ up for sale after it comes out. :D

phyrexia said:
according to the people who've played it it has a Mark I mode, a Mark IIC+ mode, and a Mark IV mode. So it does do many of the mark sounds, 'apparently'.

That would be like: MESA/Boogie: "Best of the Marks". It makes me wish that I still had the "Frankensteen" Mk I to do an A/B test with :( .

Back