Mark V Reverb delay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to consider, The Mark V has been around since 2009 and there may have been some tweaks over the years (assumed). Not sure if the term "Bloom" is appropriate here but there are some differences between the other Mesa amps regarding the reverb. I can hear a stepped wash or bloom on the reverb of the Roadster (depending on set level per channel). This is similar to the Mark V but seems more subtle than dramatic. JP-2C has more of an analog bloom such that I do not hear any level shifting (gives it a wash sound) or sudden cut-out like the Mark V. Switching from a high gain setting to a low or clean channel has its complexities as each channel is sharing the same tubes and they may be operating in different regions and plate voltages. Sudden level shits cause by relays switching out parts of the circuits and activating others will generate electrical noise that will be audible and having the noise transfer into the reverb circuit would sound far worse than the delay. During the channel switch, the entire signal path is muted before the switch takes place and then release after the circuits stabilize with the change in operating characteristic. However due to where the reverb is fed, the level of the new signal may be stronger than the previous level that feeds the reverb send. If the bloom is too slow it will be noticed and if the effect is taking longer than desired it will not sound good and become a distraction. I would first experiment with different reverb levels for each channel. If you are using tweed on the clean channel the reverb is essentially reduced no matter what the control setting is for the reverb level on CH1. Since CH2 and CH3 operate the reverb circuit at a reduced signal strength, changing to the clean channel with a rich reverb setting will definitely be noticed.

External reverb comment: I would agree that there are some phenomenal reverb pedals on the market these days. One of my favorites is the Strymon Big Sky but they also make a smaller version at a lower price which is also a good pedal (blue sky). Note: also works excellent in the Mark V loop without loosing any integrity of the signal. Also you have the ability to blend the dry and wet signal to taste so it is not overbearing. If you plan on going the external reverb route, make sure the pedal can operate at line level as well as instrument level.

OK ... "Lef T" made me laugh. Oh man ... I've done that too. I think we should go get a beer and talk this over

I use every channel on my amp as I don't use any dirt boxes. I don't care for the sound of Battery/diode distortion and love the smooth rich texture that my Mark V produces with tubes alone. THAT is the main reason I bought it. So I usually change channels several times in each song.

I am using my G system for the reverb and I DO prefer the lush tone to the stock reverb BUT that brings up other issues.
When I change channels ... The pop that the amp occasionally makes is amplified by the G-systems external reverb.
Apparently, My choices are 3 second reverb lag time when changing channels or what sounds like a firecracker in a church. So I guess that makes me a nitpicker. And so is my sound man.

The other features of the amp are rich and beautiful sounding. Certainly a sit up and take notice type of amp.
But when you're showing off your new high dollar amp at a local jam and the other pickers want to know what's wrong with your new Boogie? It's kind of disheartening to know everybody hears it and the best I can do is come up with excuses.

So no more whining or nitpicking. Thanks for all of your input. This issue is dead.

Mycle said:
OK ... "Lef T" made me laugh. Oh man ... I've done that too. I think we should go get a beer and talk this over
So no more whining or nitpicking. Thanks for all of your input. This issue is dead.

Not sure why I made you laugh....but laughing is good.
Sounds like you're returning the amp.
Nothing wrong in that.
The new TC-50 is midi capable and sounds good.
Maybe it would work better in your situation.
I wish you all the best in finding the amp that is right for you.

As far as the popping goes, I find that if I cycle through the footswtich once or twice after starting up, the popping disappears.

No delay on mine.
Just a very quiet reverb on tweed and edge.
I think the shop you bought it at is feeding you BS. You don't pay 2 n half G for an amp with delayed reverb response.

Karl Houseknecht said:
As far as the popping goes, I find that if I cycle through the footswtich once or twice after starting up, the popping disappears.

This is a problem with the Roadster but first cycle of all switches after power up will cure or discharge the static potential. Always turn the volume down when pressing the mute button on the foot switch as that is usually the loudest pop. After that, amp switches quietly.

I have noticed some pops with the Mark V with channel switching come to think of it ( with identical power settings on each channel), I should try the mute button as I rarely ever use it as this may work like it does with the Roadster (I guess that would mean I need to use the foot switch which is part of the amp I have the most issue with, note if you get some random buzzes or odd vibrating sounds and you think it is from your speaker cab, think again as it very well may be the footswitch box that is making the noise).

I tried cycling through the foot switches to dissipate static and I do believe you guys are on to something there. After several cycles through each button she seems to settle down for the most part. I still get a tiny bit of a pop but you would have to really listen for it to hear it.

I think my next experiment will be to add a ground line to the body of the footswitch to see if it will dissipate that way. The Mesa footswitch sits right next to the power supply of my G-system so a short ground line wouldn't be hard to rig up at all. I think it would have to be better to dissipate into an earth ground than to send it back through the amp.

As far as the footswitch making noises ... mine did that too. In my case it turned out to be the foot pedal cord wasn't seating correctly in the foot pedal jack. My guy replaced the cord and that issue went away.

Hey Mycle,
It sounds like you are going to keep the amp.
If so,congratulations.
Just for fun,run the amp with the loop hard bypassed.
The popping is near silent in that mode.
Just be careful as there is a huge volume increase when using your channel masters with the loop
hard bypassed.

For what it's worth, my JP2C also has a delay in reverb when switching channels. About 1 second and the reverb comes on faster, doesn't slowly build up like my V.

From the many different responses to my post, I feel I have collected enough information to comfortably live with the lag time on the reverb. AND a good work around for the popping sounds when channel changing.

The "Don't like it ... take it back" and "You're nitpicking" posts were not nearly as helpful as the guys who came back with real information about how THEIR Mark V works. If mine was the only one that did this then I would have had no doubt that there was a problem. When I hear that there are other Mark V's out there performing the same way and remaining dependable for years of use ... then OK ... I just got one of them.

I don't feel a bit comfortable accusing my dealer of B.S.ing me, as some have posted I should do. I've known him for over 30 years and know that he is not the type of person to hang me out to dry over a little profit.

A Forum like this is a valuable source of information for those of us new to the Mesa world. If I had years of experience with all the different models, like some of you do, then I probably wouldn't be here asking these questions.

Thank you to everyone who posted and shared their experiences with someone who is still learning.

Sounds good Mycle.
Nothing left to do now but explore the V
and rock on.

Mycle said:
The "Don't like it ... take it back" and "You're nitpicking" posts were not nearly as helpful as the guys who came back with real information about how THEIR Mark V works.

In fairness, I said "don't like it ... take it back" after giving you the background on why it performs how it does and an description of the performance of my own. You didn't seem satisfied with my answer; and, it was as if you expected us to somehow resolve the issue for you if you complained enough.

It's also not unheard of for someone to join this forum, get upset over something not meeting their expectations, regret how much it cost them, then air their disappointment with Mesa in a very public (and generally negative) manner... and some of us don't have a lot of patience for it.

I have had my woes with my Mark V, many seem contrary to what others have experienced with theirs. Some may have disagreed with what I was experiencing but never had a negative vibe from any who commented on my issues. "take it back" never viewed that as negative and is a viable solution if something is not properly working. Reverb wash was never an issue for me. Pops, never really noticed them..... power tube failure was my concern as this seemed to happen only with the Mesa tubes. Should I have taken it back for service, exchange or other, yes but I did not..... Do I regret my actions, no.... The consequence was buying more Mesa amps and in return full satisfaction with those. Mark V may be collecting dust but I do use it from time to time. Fixed the Tube issue so all is good there. It is a good amp for what it is worth. I would sincerely have the amp looked over by a qualified Mesa tech and if they tell you nothing is wrong, then you have options. Live with it as is, or return or sell it for something different. In my opinion, the Mark V is not an amp for me but that does not mean I do not enjoy using it from time to time. The JP-2C may appear limited on its features has given me more satisfaction than any other amp I have ever owned but that does not mean you will find it as pleasing. We all have our own agenda, what we like and do not like. Static pops, well that may happen when channel switching between 90W/45W to the 10W mode regardless of channel using the 10W mode due to the dramatic change in the power tube section. One common cause for noise will be the Rectifier tube as this will react to sudden changes in charge on the power supply capacitors. May not be your case here. You may have a noisy relay or one that is not doing its task, could be a JFET not behaving properly. If you feel there is reason for concern, by all means have it serviced or sell it. Try another one and see if that does the same thing or move on to something else that meets your expectations. Tube amps are wonderful things but they also come with some quirks or noises, buzzes and hums. This is common with every tube amp regardless of make or model. Best thing to do would be to call Mesa and speak with customer service. Do not rely on service tech from the place you bought the amp. I found the people at Mesa are reasonable to work with and will return a call if you missed them or will respond though email.

screamingdaisy
"It's also not unheard of for someone to join this forum, get upset over something not meeting their expectations, regret how much it cost them, then air their disappointment with Mesa in a very public (and generally negative) manner... and some of us don't have a lot of patience for it."

Well Thank you for that sir but if you read what I wrote then you must know that I did none of the things you're on about.
I simply and respectfully asked for input from multiple owners so that I could objectively compare their performance experiences with mine. Had I bought 25 Mark V's and tried them all, I would have that information at hand. Since I only have the one, that kind of "Figure it out myself" isn't really an option.
If that is a little too testy for you then move along and post nothing. I was seeking information not critical comments from people who are assuming the worst in a person.

If you have no more patience than to help a fellow musician when asked then you should wait to post until you do. The ONLY thing I COMPLAINED about was responses that were completely useless to my inquiries. In Fairness "don't like it ... take it back" is kind of a "well no $#it" post. It, in no way, offered any information that would be helpful in my quest.

But please, Do have a great day and God Bless.

Mycle said:
The ONLY thing I COMPLAINED about was responses that were completely useless to my inquiries.
I guess we thought you were complaining about your amp when you said things like this:
Mycle said:
-The amp literally falls on it's face for a few seconds after changing channels. Sounds terrible.
-In my opinion THIS reverb IS unusable because of the dead space between channel changes.
-When you spend $2540 on an amp head ... you don't expect the elaborate reverb to be out performed by a $500 pawn shop amp.
-then you switch channels and your amp falls on it's face for a few seconds.
-the delay is way too long.
-When I change channels there is a full 3 second delay until the reverb comes back to life.
-I think this reverb thang could have used a little bit more thought.
-it's just a minor irritant and somewhat unprofessional.

That's just a handful of your complaints, which, as you can see, begins to sound a like bashing after a while. And that's why we suggested you take you're amp back.

I can understand negative comments but to a point. I can also understand how they may be viewed by others in the forums.

I can get on my soapbox and complain all day about what troubles me with this amp or that. Unfortunately, the Mark V has been the center of my issues where as the other models have gotten nothing but praise. The Mark V was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I got it but it had a few issues but not with reverb or pops. Only time I ever heard pops was when changing the voice switch on any of the three channels. Good reason why they did not make that a selected option on the foot switch and the same would apply to the power switch for 90/45/10 W. As for my main concerns with the amp, they were corrected or resolved and now the amp is as stable as it can be. How to use the amp and its various controls to suit your desires is another topic well covered in the Mark V forums.

Hints: There may be some voices on the Mark V that adjust plate voltages on the preamp tubes as well as alter there operating points dramatically. Tweed on CH1 is one that dramatically alters the preamp circuits.

I would recommend cycling all of the footswitch buttons once you power up or after you take the amp out of stand by as this reduces or eliminates any static charge on some components in the circuits of the preamp. (Recommended thing to do with a Roadster, if not done you get pops when channel changing). I do not use my Mark V as much as I used to as I have other amps that have my attention. Also I do not use the foot switch with the Mark V either and just leave the amp on one channel with the selector on the back. I have found I do not do channel hopping when I play but once in a while I do as it is easier to change channels with the foot switch rather than reaching behind the amp to turn the selector.

I would give Mesa customer service a call or send an email and pose your questions regarding the amp. New or used, it should not matter at least you will find out the truth if this be normal or not.

Back