Mark V modern metal tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zander

Reaction score
I just want to know if the mark v can get a modern metal tone like trivium, killswitch engage, BTBAM, A7X. All the other tones i have gotten out of the amp are amazing but I really would like to get a good heavy chugging modern metal type sound. Can the Mark V do it or should I just get a roadster? sound clips would be nice...oh and the only thing that discourages me from getting the roadster is that I heard it can't get great solo tones like the Mark V and I also hear it is too loose sounding. Is this true?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Are you using active or passive pickups? Modern metal utilizes active pickups for the basis of their guitar tones. Beyond that there is gobs of gain so learn to use your treble EQ to tap into more gain in CH3 on the Mark V. Also use the presence to unlock the 'perceived' gain you hear. Gotta use a severe 'V' shape on the GEQ as well. An OD in front will add more gain and grit and sustain as well. A combination of these tips should yield the results you are after. :twisted:

My friend is a real metal head and he got some awesome tones on Extreme mode with me eq-ing to his taste. One thing this amp will do is make you focus alot more on your technique, as I have found that picking angle really can make a great difference to your tone through this amp if you are after some djent-y type sounds. Definitely try it out and see what you think though.

Ok yes it will get A metal tone, is there better amps for that specifically...Yes. I love the mark v, IMO it's gets an ok metal tone, it's not a diezel Herbert ( which will blow your mind) , if you really want a Metal sound I think you need to find a more specific amp or use a pedal in front of the Mesa (which I cannot ever do). But if you like the fact that the mark v can go in a hundred other directions then get it, some of the strictly metal sounding amps, are not as versatile. Btw I will never forget turning the diezel up loud and playing some heavy riffs with it, it's a different world. Tried the roadster out, obviously I bought the mark v...

I've been able to get crushing metal tones a low volume using the IIC+ mode, and at moderate volumes using extreme.

Be the judge on this vid. Pure Mark V tone, Channel 3 with a little delay from my Gmajor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWqT0qmDiO0

Zander said:
I just want to know if the mark v can get a modern metal tone like trivium, killswitch engage, BTBAM, A7X. All the other tones i have gotten out of the amp are amazing but I really would like to get a good heavy chugging modern metal type sound. Can the Mark V do it or should I just get a roadster? sound clips would be nice...oh and the only thing that discourages me from getting the roadster is that I heard it can't get great solo tones like the Mark V and I also hear it is too loose sounding. Is this true?

MesaManBoogie said:
Be the judge on this vid. Pure Mark V tone, Channel 3 with a little delay from my Gmajor

Way to go, dude! You nailed the Killswitch tone. Dropped tuning and actives is the key...

if i could figure out how to post pictures on here i would. actives with 6 strings sound amazing. Extreem mode treb around 2 oclock, mids around 11 oclock, bass at about 10 oclock, gain at about 2 oclock, master your taste and pres i like it at about 2 oclock as well. the eq put the 240 and 2200 sliders right at the middle put the 750 in between the bottom and middle. then for your 80 and 6600 its really your taste. i like having less bass than the treble to get a nice razor sharp tone. i also have a maxon od 808 infront running for a bit more sustain. Then when i go to my 7 strings with passives all i do is just flip the extreem mode to mark iv and its mint.

MesaManBoogie said:

Left 5 stars. Never heard the song, but your tone rocks. I've been trying to get some tones on my mk iv close to a Bogner uberschall and your tone is the closest (to my ears) I've heard a mark do a uberschall tone. What speaker cab are you using with your mkv?

emperor_black said:
MesaManBoogie said:

Left 5 stars. Never heard the song, but your tone rocks. I've been trying to get some tones on my mk iv close to a Bogner uberschall and your tone is the closest (to my ears) I've heard a mark do a uberschall tone. What speaker cab are you using with your mkv?

look up lamb of gods lead tones for mark ivs man youd get a sick distortion.

Mark V gets great heavy tones for sure, but the Mark IV is heavier

emperor_black said:
MesaManBoogie said:

Thanks for the five stars, It's the combo actually, Black Shadow Speaker.

MusicManJP6 said:
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Are you using active or passive pickups? Modern metal utilizes active pickups for the basis of their guitar tones. Beyond that there is gobs of gain so learn to use your treble EQ to tap into more gain in CH3 on the Mark V. Also use the presence to unlock the 'perceived' gain you hear. Gotta use a severe 'V' shape on the GEQ as well. An OD in front will add more gain and grit and sustain as well. A combination of these tips should yield the results you are after. :twisted:

I was using passive Gibson 1957 classic pickups through my gibson SG. I do have an esp ltd mh-1000 with emg pickups too but i didn't hear them through the mark. I really liked the mark, but I only want it if I can tweak it to get some extreme melat tones. I guess I will have to play around with it more and try the roadster more as well to see if i can get rid of the roadster's extremely loose sound.

You can get really big tones as well in the Mark I setting in channel 2. Put Treble and gain around 2 to 3 o'clock bass and mid around 9:00 presence 9:30 to 10:00 gain wherever you like, eq activated, I use the preset eq and then just turn to up to about 2:00ish (to taste really). These are just from memory as I don't have my amp in front of me at the moment, so start there and tweak a bit...

MesaManBoogie said:

Zander said:

Please post the settings for this if you can.

Extreme mode contains some of the best metal tones I've heard (and I've heard a lot), I even like it better than my old Bogner Uberschall, (one reason I no longer have it) It just takes tweaking and patience. But not only can the Mark V get great Metal tones but they're actually musical sounding, (no fizziness or any other unwanted overtones) one thing most high gain amps lack greatly. I would put my Mark V confidently up against any other "metal" amp and I guarantee it would hold its own. Begin by using the Petrucci settings as a starting point and tweak from there, that will get you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back