Mark V combo is just too heavy.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

Reaction score
I'm pushing 60 years old and I finally admit that it takes everything I have to carry my Mark V combo up and down the stairs at home, at practice, and gigs. I really want to get something significantly of lighter weight. The amp sounds so good though, that I don't think I'll be satisfied downgrading my tone to a great extent. Going to a Mark V head and cab would prevent any sacrifice in tone but the head still weighs 42 lbs. Can anyone suggest a solution? I'm looking at the Egnater Rebel 30 head/cab. If I did that, I could buy a new guitar and some FX with the Mark V money and some cash I have saved. The Mini Rec looks cool but I don't think I'm a recto sort of guy.

The nice thing about the head/cab setup is that the weight better balanced as it isn't all on one side of your body.

Alternatively, have you looked at a dolly?

img_dolly.jpg

I pushed 60 long enough I decided to be 60 last month. I also have a back that goes out at times. I have a head and cab because the combo was just to heavy to contemplate moving. I don't play out and my gear hangs out in the music room. Still whenever I have to move gear it requires being very careful lifting. It's just my opinion but if you really like the Mark V I think it will be hard to find an equivalent amp. I'd be interested to know what and if you find to replace it. Especially the big, solid clean headroom of channel 1. I think that's why the amp is so heavy. There's some heavy iron in there. I brought a Mini Recto home last winter but compared to the MkV it just wasn't interesting enough.

I'm seriously considering something lighter. One of these days I'll be 70 hopefully. Good luck with your quest.

If anyone needed a dolly, this would be the dolly to get -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Folding-Light-Aluminium-Hand-Truck-Dolly-150lb-/180894049184?pt=BI_Carts_Trucks&hash=item2a1e2023a0

I've got one and use it for my equipment.

i changed from my last head because it weighed 60 bls. the mark v head i can balance in one hand if it weights 42bls it doesn't feel like it! A fold up dolly and ratchet straps would work great!

+1 on the folding portable dolly.

I have also been interested getting an Egnater Rebel 30 head / cab. Not as a replacement to the Mark V though. Just because i'd like both. :D They look like great little amps and are super light, have an attractive price and look quite versatile. Hope it all works out whatever you decide!

Another option you have to 'lighten the load' is switch out the speaker to a neodymium speaker. You'd be around 10lbs. lighter (on average). The downside obviously, with a different speaker, your tone will be different. Just a suggestion...

Bruce Egenator designs some great amps. I have an rm100 mts amp he designed and amazing with the right modules.

Find an old Mesa Studio 22 plus. I really miss mine. Not exact same tone, but it is markish. It is also a hell of a lot lighter.

Hello with empathy from England !
I too am an elder statesman of the upstairs gig variety.
My solution is :- MkV Head, remove from flightcase at the gig, leave the case in the van, let the drummer/bassist carry the head up the flight of stairs while I carry a Boogie 1 x 12 and get the beers in. No sacrifice of tone and everyone's happy - Work's here old chap ! Cheers.

A head and a 1x12 or 2x12 is the way to go, especially since the Mark V in combo form sounds terrible to me.

ave said:
Hello with empathy from England !
I too am an elder statesman of the upstairs gig variety.
My solution is :- MkV Head, remove from flightcase at the gig, leave the case in the van, let the drummer/bassist carry the head up the flight of stairs while I carry a Boogie 1 x 12 and get the beers in. No sacrifice of tone and everyone's happy - Work's here old chap ! Cheers.

3 years shy of 60, but I still carry my own head and 2X12 up a very steep stairway! I DO like the idea of making the drummer haul it up though :0. After gigging my 70 lb zenTera combo for 10 years, the mkV is a cakewalk! If I'm still gigging in 3 years, maybe i'll downsize...but i doubt it I love the tone!

I know its not mesa gear but a lot of people are expressing great interest and satisfaction with it is DV mark amps. They are the same Italian company that makes the Mark Bass amplifiers. The head that would be most comparable to the mark V would be the new re release of the Triple 6. It has three channels, hi and lower gain voicings and it also has midi capabilities as well as 100 watts all tube power and the head weighs under 25 lbs. And a larger 1x12 cab from the company is another 19 lbs. So you would have a semi comparable set up (of course sans 5 band graphic) and the two units would divide the weight of one mark 5 head. That is much easier on your back. And as far as losing the 5 band on the mark I wouldnt let that bother you so much. The standard controls on the mark 5 dont really do much to the tone and the 5 band is needed. As where on a standard amp the controls make a much more dramatic change and make up for that loss to an extent. Its worth checking out.

http://www.dvmark.it/

purpledc said:
The standard controls on the mark 5 dont really do much to the tone and the 5 band is needed. As where on a standard amp the controls make a much more dramatic change and make up for that loss to an extent. Its worth checking out.

I have to disagree here, the standard tone controls are very effective if you understand how they interact with each other.

+1 SteveO as far as the effectiveness of the tone controls without the GEQ!

OP, yes the MkV combo is heavy and I can relate to your situation. Personally, I find the MkV combo to be very compact and reasonably light for being a 3 channel tube amp with all of its offerings. I find it to be easier to transport than other lighter amps/cabs due to its compactness, but that is just me. I know this isn't of much help to you though.

Best of luck!

Well Im just speaking from experience and from what the manual says. Especially in channel three. Im not saying they dont do ANYTHING. Im simply saying that they are not as responsive as in other amps that dont possess a GEQ. Its openly stated by mesa that this is part of how the MKV is designed.

I can relate to this... I bought a Mark V Combo 2,5 years ago... at first I was excited with it, but after having to carry it down the stairs, into my car, to the rehearsal room for 2 years, I decided to sell it. The thing was just too heavy (and it got heavier after I built it into a flightcase with four fx-units above it...).

Then I looked at the Diezel Hagen and Diezel Herbert heads, but they just didn't have that creamy smooth Mark V tone... so I bought the head version of the Mark V! :)

Back