Mark V Clean VS Roadster Clean

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Grind... can you please post your Roadster settings? It sounds like you are fond of the cleans and, for me, I can't get a good balance between all four channels 1/2 and 3/4 volume wise. I am curious as to what you have yours set at.

I own a Roadster and a Mark IV with the clear winner for cleans being the Mark IV. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because my cleans aren't loud or clean enough. I have my ch. 3/4 volumes at 9:00 each.

Thanks!

I just got my 1x12 Mark V yesterday. The cleans are gorgeous and are better than the roadster. However the high gain channels don't really have the bite or the low end. I picked up 2x12 roadster today so I have to make a big decision in the next couple of days of which one to return. I've been playing them side by side for hours now :) . Overall the Mark V is a much quieter amp with regards to noise and seems more versatile. The 2x12 obviously helps the roadster's lower end however I connected the Mark V up to the 2x12 as well. The Mark has a much smoother/shimmering sound but it lacks the growl of the recto.

iceman said:
I just got my 1x12 Mark V yesterday. The cleans are gorgeous and are better than the roadster. However the high gain channels don't really have the bite or the low end. I picked up 2x12 roadster today so I have to make a big decision in the next couple of days of which one to return. I've been playing them side by side for hours now :) . Overall the Mark V is a much quieter amp with regards to noise and seems more versatile. The 2x12 obviously helps the roadster's lower end however I connected the Mark V up to the 2x12 as well. The Mark has a much smoother/shimmering sound but it lacks the growl of the recto.

No one believes me but I said the same thing. ;) I've been thinking that one of the big reasons the V lacks the growl
and bite of it's predecessors is the 6L6 tubes. I have my new IV setup with EL34's on the outside pair and 6L6's on the
inside pair and I think that has a lot to do with the tighter bottom and it being less "woofy" then the V.

Can the V be setup with a pair of EL34's or does it have to be "all" EL34's if you decide to swap them out? Looking at the
webpage for it it looks like it's either one or the other...eh.......

Overall I'd say the Mark is much more musical sounding than the roadster and I'm amazed at how quite it is. The roadster has a hum to it when I'm not playing (not sure if that is normal, also the reverb doesn't seem to be working for any channel). I'm leaning towards the roadster though, it just packs more of a whollop and has more of an edge. While the Mark is very sweet/sustain, but lacks the crunch and has more of a fizz. My brother has been over listening to both of them with me for a couple of hours, he really prefers the Mark's sound and was blown away by the tone. Its a tough decision...

iceman said:
I just got my 1x12 Mark V yesterday. The cleans are gorgeous and are better than the roadster. However the high gain channels don't really have the bite or the low end.
That's probably because you need to run the Mark V through a 4X12 cabinet. Although I'm still waiting for my Mark V head, I'm just assuming from my experience with the Mark IV. I did not like the 1X12 combo, but the head through a 4X12 cabinet...is tone heaven :D

Hey ice... if at all possible, I would try both in band setting. Might be tough if the clock is ticking... just my two cents, but depending on what style you play... I bet you that might sort it out real quick.

Either way you own a Boogie = WINNER!!

yarzo said:
iceman said:
I just got my 1x12 Mark V yesterday. The cleans are gorgeous and are better than the roadster. However the high gain channels don't really have the bite or the low end.
That's probably because you need to run the Mark V through a 4X12 cabinet. Although I'm still waiting for my Mark V head, I'm just assuming from my experience with the Mark IV. I did not like the 1X12 combo, but the head through a 4X12 cabinet...is tone heaven :D

Yeah I mean... If it's supposed to emulate a mark IV at some point, and from hearing about the comments, the emulation is pretty good/on the spot... soooo the high gain should be good too ?

mr_dj07 said:
yarzo said:
iceman said:

Yeah I mean... If it's supposed to emulate a mark IV at some point, and from hearing about the comments, the emulation is pretty good/on the spot... soooo the high gain should be good too ?

It doesn't emulate though - it's just voiced like a Mark IV. There's no emulation going on unless you mean in the "spiritual" sense.

gplay1965
Post subject: Re: Mark V Clean VS Roadster Clean
Hey ice... if at all possible, I would try both in band setting. Might be tough if the clock is ticking... just my two cents, but depending on what style you play... I bet you that might sort it out real quick.

+1. IMO, that is the only way to accurately gage an amp. Some sound great when playing alone, but sound like crap or get lost in the mix in a band setting. Scooping the EQ is also an example of something that sounds great alone, but does not cut through at all in a mix.

I'm guessing that you'll find that, like the other Marks, the Mark V really shines in a band mix.

Iconoclysm said:
It doesn't emulate though - it's just voiced like a Mark IV. There's no emulation going on unless you mean in the "spiritual" sense.

Except that the exact lead circuit is in the amp. Nothing spiritual about that. The entire Mark I, Mark IIC+ and Mark IV circuits are inside the Mark V.

My settings

CH.1 P-1 B-1 T-2 M-12
Ch.2 P-1 B-12 T-2 M-1

The port city cabinet makes a big difference I think.

it seems like having Mark V and Roadster wouldn't hurt except the wallet. it sounds like each offer a different tone none better just different.

if anyone gets a head in the NJ area and wants to give their V a whirl through a Mills Acoustics cab let me know... i'll even lug the 110 lb beast to you :D

BTW, I know there are a few of use Recto guys running the Mills cabs, but in all honesty they are the best cabs I've ever played through. There is no amount of bass you can throw at it to make it sound flubby. With that said i can't imagine getting to run a Mark V through those beasts... if they can turn the rectos bottom end into pure power, a well dialed in Mark IV or V should be face melting good.

So NJ area Mark V guys... i'm serious on my offer.

Latest posts

Back