Mark V 25, the big daddy, and WAH WAH

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
So.... this may be my imagination, but my few weeks with the 25 before I ditched it for the big V.... it seemed like my wah wah (clyde fulltone), had a hell of a lot less range on the 25 with the el84s than the bigger boogies with 6L6's. I suppose it makes sense, as the el84s don't have the bottom end (bass end of the wah sweep?) Am I dreaming this or is there actually something here. Like I said, intellectually I suppose it makes sense with less bottom in the el84s that the bottom end of the wah sweep might not be what it is with 6l6's? Or am I just imagining this? Also tried it with a hammett signature crybaby, which I find has TONS of sweep on high gain settings. I use the clyde for clean wah wah-ing, and the hammett signature for high gain wah wah-ing. Seems like that thing was designed specifically for high gain running through it. More sweep on high gain than even the boutiqe clyde set to max sweep on hendrix mode. It's crazy what that hammett wah does with gain running through it. Looks badass too.

But I digest, is there anything to this beyond my imagination? Less low end on the wah sweep with the less low end in the EL84s?

I don't see where the power tubes would make that big a difference. It's not like EL84s have a substantially narrower low frequency range than a 6L6, but that big bottles just have more low-end thump than EL84s, and this could owe to beefier transformers. In my experience, it's the way big bottles push air and deliver the low-end that I appreciate.

But I could be wrong...

I think you just prefer your tone on the 90 watt.

Don't think EL84, 34, 6l6, 6v6 make any difference in the world when putting a way in front.

You're all likely right there... Have the 90w now and the wah sweep is back to where it was with my IV. Especially the KH wah with heavy gain. Who knows why, but definitely a noticeable difference between the V and the mini with my wahs.

Latest posts

Back