Mark Tremonti tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vertigo - i don't think ibanez is trying to be insulting or demeaning to the recto. i just think he's trying to say he thought there was more uber in there and was right. seemed pretty neutral to me.

anyway, i love tremonti's tone (as i've said) and that was one of the reasons i got a recto in the first place. i know lots of people don't like the rectos, and that's fine, but for me, it does everything i could ask of it in a pretty easy to dial in package.

...i would like to try an uber though... :oops:

^Completely right...I wasn't attacking anyone...just saying that I thought the album was more Uberschall than recto this time around.

The recto is a good amp. Not my favorite, but still a good amp in its own right.

And...don't kill me for this...

I'm 99% convinced that "Come to Life" is recorded with a Mark IV....I have the tone nailed 100% on mine through a traditional 4x12....it would make sense as it was in the recording arsenal....a Recto can't stay that tight on a string tuned to B.

vertigo_ said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
I'm not saying he had bad tone with the recto...Mark has always gotten great tones out of his. But this album is different...I think there is MUCH more Uberschall in there...I've spent a lot of time with the amp, and I hear a lot more of its characteristics in there.

Not to mention that he used to have 2 rectos and an Uberschall....now he has two uberschalls and a recto...looks like things have changed it a bit :wink:

U spent a lot of time with uberschall and recto...and went with mark IV. I thought the idea is to move forward not to go back to the 80/90's

:roll: x10000

What about the overdrive pedal?? Is it reeally needed with any of his amps?
Do I need one for my Rectoverb Series 2 combo?

jtb226 said:
vertigo - i don't think ibanez is trying to be insulting or demeaning to the recto. i just think he's trying to say he thought there was more uber in there and was right. seemed pretty neutral to me.

anyway, i love tremonti's tone (as i've said) and that was one of the reasons i got a recto in the first place. i know lots of people don't like the rectos, and that's fine, but for me, it does everything i could ask of it in a pretty easy to dial in package.

...i would like to try an uber though... :oops:

Its all cool....before I came to this forum, Every single guitarist I met raved about the rectos. But in this forum, sometimes I get the feeling from some people that crate blue voodoo can make better sound than rectos! Rectos get the worst flaming in BOOGIE BOARD, how funny!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
^Completely right...I wasn't attacking anyone...just saying that I thought the album was more Uberschall than recto this time around.

The recto is a good amp. Not my favorite, but still a good amp in its own right.

And...don't kill me for this...

I'm 99% convinced that "Come to Life" is recorded with a Mark IV....I have the tone nailed 100% on mine through a traditional 4x12....it would make sense as it was in the recording arsenal....a Recto can't stay that tight on a string tuned to B.

glad to hear this. Im expecting a Mark IV from Santa

just bought "blackbird" last night. giving it a listen right now while i'm sitting here at work (if anyone wants to buy any custom labeled bottled water...let me know. hahaha :lol: ). this CD is awesome.

it does sound like "come to life" has some mark iv in there. doesn't sound strictly mark iv though. at least not to me. there is some "chugging" in there too.

i bought my copy of the album at wal-mart for $9.72. i love it when the put cd's at that price! i'd certainly buy more of them if they were all that price. plus, mine came with a dvd of the band in the studio. which was pretty cool. didn't really talk about their rigs like i was hoping it would, but more about the songwriting process. was still very cool, but i was hoping mark would go through his recording rig w/ everyone. or at least mention it.

**** that guy has some nice guitars though.

On the topic of Tremonti's tone, I just ordered a Tremonti treble and bass pickup set to go in my PRS CE22! Should sound killer with my Roadster! (Carry on with the tone debate folks.... :D )

you suck. i'm so jealous of that thing. i want one for myself...

see, it sucks actually having a real job because there's so many things i want to get now for my live rig and actually have the money to get them. i just can't decide what i want. lol.

while we're on the topic of tremonti, has anyone tried his wah out?

I had a blast of the one my band mate got for his rig...

I love the idea of the morleys where you just start moving the pedal and it is instant on ... the only thing with it was that there's a tiny delay once you bring your foot off, it stays in wha mode for a split second longer than you release it. if that doesnt bother you it's cool, but it was significant enough to notice so if your opperation is precise, you'll need to get used to ditching out earlier in your timing than you expect... for that i would still get it but the thing that made me hold off on getting one for myself was the noise... even with the boost right down it has significantly more buzz than with the crybaby i have and am used to... might not be an issue if you add your wah in the loop post-overdrive but i like it early in the chain, first thing guitar goes into so pre-od it is mega noisy, almost noticeable ontop of playing... and if you used it for clean it would be quite noticable...

could be a fault but im not sure... anyone else got it where this is the case?

but really it's a great piece...
with a larger board I would definately consider keeping both the cry baby and the tremonti wha... and it looks hardcore!

Morley wahs have an adjustment to change the delay you experience when you step off of the pedal. However, I'm not totally positive it is ALL morleys that have this adjustment. I know my Bad Horsie does. The reason that delay is there is so you can use the full sweep range without having the wah shut off when you kick your heel back. My friend has a MT wah and loves it. I thought about getting one but never did... As for the noise - my BH2 wah has a little, but def not louder than what i'm playing. All wahs introduce noise IME... Post OD would be much worse than Pre OD IMO...

jtb: you gotta love having a real job and being able to afford buying nice gear! The decision making process is the best part! You'll end up selling a few items before finding what fits your style/taste no doubt...

TheSon said:
I had a blast of the one my band mate got for his rig...

I love the idea of the morleys where you just start moving the pedal and it is instant on ... the only thing with it was that there's a tiny delay once you bring your foot off, it stays in wah mode for a split second longer than you release it. if that doesn't bother you it's cool, but it was significant enough to notice so if your operation is precise, you'll need to get used to ditching out earlier in your timing than you expect... for that i would still get it but the thing that made me hold off on getting one for myself was the noise... even with the boost right down it has significantly more buzz than with the crybaby i have and am used to... might not be an issue if you add your wah in the loop post-overdrive but i like it early in the chain, first thing guitar goes into so pre-od it is mega noisy, almost noticeable ontop of playing... and if you used it for clean it would be quite noticable...

could be a fault but im not sure... anyone else got it where this is the case?

but really it's a great piece...
with a larger board I would definately consider keeping both the cry baby and the tremonti wha... and it looks hardcore!

I am tremonti wah user, I tried out the bad horise II first (while its an awesome wah on it's own rank) but decided to go with the tremonti wah. The wah is a very modern sounding wah...doesn't do the vintage wah. And that is what I was looking for. The off delay question: The wah comes with a factory delay set to it...but u can open the wah and change the delay time. It's very easy to do it ...I did that to my wah. The wah also has 20db boost...if you dont use the boost function then the wah is very quiet. If you use the boost...you get a significant boost in the sound but no noise (atleast not with my wah). This is how you change the delay setting in the morley tremonti power wah:

1) Remove four bottom cover screws and bottom cover.
2) Locate trim-pot labeled "WAH OFF DELAY" (it is about 3 inches up and about 1-1/2" left from the
center heel end of pedal.
3) Use a miniature screwdriver (like the ones used for eyeglasses) to turn the center adjustment of the trimpot
to customize it for your setting.
4) Turning the trim-pot clockwise shortens the off delay time. Counter-clockwise lengthens the off delay
time. The off delay time can be adjusted from instantaneous up to 3.5 seconds.

MusicManJP6 said:
Thanks Vertigo! Reading your review makes me want to grab a Tremonti wah and get rid of my Bad Horsie!!

My pleasure, I will try to upload a video clip with the tremonti wah. People have said to me after shows that the wah sounded really nice. With the boost it really cuts through the mix....I used to play with a really OLD school crybaby, while the tone was nice (vintage) but I got tired of the switch and pots wearing out.

I really like morley products..no pots to clean and you got to love the switch less thing! They also have awesome tones. Does anyone sell switch less crybabies....I would love a 535q switch less wah.

I like both the Tremonti and Bad Horsie II wahs alot!

IMO, the bad horise is smoother, and a little less harsh in the highs.

The Tremonti on the other hand, is much more aggressive and cutting, which I kinda miss. I might go back to it some time.

vertigo_ said:
I would love a 535q switch less wah.

Actually, the 95q is essentially a switchless 535q! I had no idea it existed until I stumbled upon it one day. I got rid of it coz I was tired of the crybaby wah tone. Cool wah pedal though! I went from a 95q to a BHII... The tremonti wah still sounds intriguing even with the notion that the highs can be harsh... How does it do for clean tones? I got my BHII for free, so I could add a tremonti wah to my arsenal without being out too much dough and then A/B them and note their differences...

MusicManJP6 said:
vertigo_ said:
I would love a 535q switch less wah.

Actually, the 95q is essentially a switchless 535q! I had no idea it existed until I stumbled upon it one day. I got rid of it coz I was tired of the crybaby wah tone. Cool wah pedal though! I went from a 95q to a BHII... The tremonti wah still sounds intriguing even with the notion that the highs can be harsh... How does it do for clean tones? I got my BHII for free, so I could add a tremonti wah to my arsenal without being out too much dough and then A/B them and note their differences...

thanks for the info...I need to check out 95q then. Anyone selling a used one?

I used to have a Tremonti wah. Of the wahs I have used it is by far my favorite. It cuts through in a band situation better than anything, and the switchless design is awesome. I also liked that fact that it did sound different than all the other Crybabys out there. I also used to run the Tremonti bridge pickup in one of my Edwards LPs and it was killer for hard rock stuff. Not the greatest when played clean, but awesome under high gain.

hmmm...i might have to pick one up.

i have heard of the delay in switching, but i also knew of the adjustment inside that you could make. i'd probably make mine shorter, but not instantaneous.

i have a dunlop mr. crybaby super right now that i'm kinda tired of. it's a wah/volume with a mid boost in it. the mid boost pretty much isn't usable because you have to kick in a little button on the side that my feet are too big to hit. i don't really need the volume part either. and i'd really like something switchless.

sounds like a tremonti wah could be hitting my rig here soon.

jtb226 said:
hmmm...i might have to pick one up.

i have heard of the delay in switching, but i also knew of the adjustment inside that you could make. i'd probably make mine shorter, but not instantaneous.

i have a dunlop mr. crybaby super right now that i'm kinda tired of. it's a wah/volume with a mid boost in it. the mid boost pretty much isn't usable because you have to kick in a little button on the side that my feet are too big to hit. i don't really need the volume part either. and i'd really like something switchless.

sounds like a tremonti wah could be hitting my rig here soon.

great choice...I dont think u will regret it, you want modern aggressive sounding wah - tremonti power wah is the only choice!

Back