Mark IV tone question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themisfit138

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to get a more Marshally/VHT tone out of the Mark IV. I am trying to get a Megadeth, Countdown or Youthanasia tone. And what settings would get me closest?
I know it is kind of weird to ask, but I am just looking for a little change in tone from the C+ and the III.
Thanks.

The closest that I can get to a Marshall sound from my Mark IV is, believe it or not, when I use my SG on channel 2. I crank the gain, bass on 3, mids on7, treble on 7, and it sounds decent. It would not fool someone "in the know", but it is close.

You can also try to use some additional overdrive stompbox before the amp :)

I get a "fairly" close Megadeth tone out of my Mark IV on the lead channel with the bass and mid knobs low (around 2 depending on the low end output of your pickups) Treble around 5 or 6. Then I use the classic v shape on the eq but I keep the middle slider above the bottom line. The tone is more Metallica than Megadeth but it is still fairly close. The Mark iv is also a nice tight "barky" tone that can do thrash very well. That is my go to amp for something like Skin Of My Teeth.

dodger916 said:
Try running EL34s in the outer sockets in Class A mode with triode engaged.
Good point. I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but didn't think about it. Class A mode is a key component. I run EL34s for the outside tubes. It makes a difference at volume.

Back