Mark IV Shell Prices.. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you spend this much for a Mark IV shell ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • If the economy was better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd Have to LOVE that particular chasis

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

SyloBoogie29

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I called MESA today as I wanted to inquire about a quilted maple/wicker cane shell for a mkIV, as im looking to purchase one.. To say the least, the prices are VERY HIGH. I would expect this for the wood, but even the small grill is $249... a little high if u ask me, tell me what you guys think

Mesa Boogie Maple Hardwood Shell

Standard flamed or quilted maple $739
Private Reserve Reserve flamed or quilted maple $1069*
Wicker Cane Grill $249
Fan w/ installation $ 198

*Starting Price (The rep said the Private Reserve Maple STARTED at 1069...I dont even want to know how high it can go...)

Manufacturing Time: 10-12 weeks :roll:

$1516 + Shipping :shock:

------------------

All this got me thinking...
I wanted to do an Imbuya/Wicker RK, as I saw a pic of it and it looks absolutely stunning. I feel that very special amps Mark Series, RK, deserve these woods, and it does it justice, but now im scared to even ask the price of a RK !!!! Im guessing if a MKIV is 1516, a RK would have to be 2400 minimum. INSANEEE. These woods are gorgeous, but are they worth the price of the amp itself ? I dont know....

yea, thats a bit nuts, but hey, it's a business. To their defense, raw stock of exotic woods can be quite pricy. Standard birdseye maple is about $40 a boardfoot (12"X12"X1"), private reserve quality maple is very hard to find, and like the name suggests can generally only be found in private reserves because it is pulled out of lumberyards and sold apart from the rest. check out how much it costs to have a PRS done out of the stuff. If I had the specs I could probably build one of those in a heartbeat. Personally, I would do it in lacewood, just finished a guitar out of the stuff and it looks and sounds unbelievable.

Hope this helps,

Scott

SyloBoogie29 said:
Hey guys,

I called MESA today as I wanted to inquire about a quilted maple/wicker cane shell for a mkIV, as im looking to purchase one.. To say the least, the prices are VERY HIGH. I would expect this for the wood, but even the small grill is $249... a little high if u ask me, tell me what you guys think

Mesa Boogie Maple Hardwood Shell

Standard flamed or quilted maple $739
Private Reserve Reserve flamed or quilted maple $1069*
Wicker Cane Grill $249
Fan w/ installation $ 198

*Starting Price (The rep said the Private Reserve Maple STARTED at 1069...I dont even want to know how high it can go...)

Manufacturing Time: 10-12 weeks :roll:

$1516 + Shipping :shock:

------------------

All this got me thinking...
I wanted to do an Imbuya/Wicker RK, as I saw a pic of it and it looks absolutely stunning. I feel that very special amps Mark Series, RK, deserve these woods, and it does it justice, but now im scared to even ask the price of a RK !!!! Im guessing if a MKIV is 1516, a RK would have to be 2400 minimum. INSANEEE. These woods are gorgeous, but are they worth the price of the amp itself ? I dont know....

It sounds like they must have mis-quoted you on the wicker grille upgrade which is $159 according to the price list. The fan and installation price seems outrageous.

The price list shown here, http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/jazzgear/Mesa%20Boogie%20PRONET%20FEB%202008/MesaPRONETFEB2008_0006.jpg would add $739 for the AAA maple and $159 for the wicker grille, to the base price of a tolex MkIV head shell (approx $250) to bring it to a grand total of $1150-ish. If you want the maple stained, add another $109. It will seem like the longest 10 weeks of your life. :wink:

Wow, to upgrade is A LOT less.. The quote I got was just for the to make it, and ship to me, since I would need to have the existing shell during those 10 weeks (which really would be the longest 10 weeks of my life). Also, I was wondering, what does adding a shell AFTER having the amp already do to the value? Im just curious to see if it doesn't increase as much, since its not from the start. Thanks all !

+1 on GTS, his Cabs are great. Did you any Hardwood Cabs yet, George?

I can also recommend Dan from http://www.vintageboogie.com , he does nice hardwood stuff
for a cool price. Got there a mahogany/wicker cab for my IIb a year ago.
Price was around 600,- bucks.

I voted no, because I wouldn't pay that much to upgrade. But I probably did pay that much indirectly. I own a Mark IV wide combo, with matching ext cabinet in AAA maple and wicker that ran four grand for the set when I bought it.

It’s sure pretty, too pretty to drag around on the road.

Latest posts

Back