Mark IV - Impedance question with multiple ext cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltrain858

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new Mark IV owner here. I recently picked up a 2003-ish Mark IV widebody combo with a widebody 1x12" extension cab.

I haven't done nearly much experimenting with the settings yet, but I feel like I could get a slightly better sound with a ballsier extension cab. At the same time though, it came with the widebody ext cab and it looks so purrty stacked up, so I am hesitant to cut that out of the rig in favor of a different extension cab.

To put things in perspective, I'm playing in a funk-influenced groove-rock band. I am the only guitarist, and the bassist is a monster with a big rig, so I want a full meaty sound that doesn't get drowned out. I play everything from clean funky chords to dropped D crunch to psychedelic rotary/wah leads.

I was thinking about getting an old metal-grilled vertical 2x12" open-top/closed-bottom cab to run as well. There is one on craigslist right now with two Black Shadows that I'm eyeing: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/264712144.html

Then I realized I have absolutely no idea how I would connect this all together. I am terrible with impedances and easily confused :oops:

Ideally I would like to run the combo, 1x12 ext, and 2x12 ext all simultaneously.

Can anyone tell me whether this is possible, and if so, which taps to use and/or what order to wire the cabs in?

Also, while you're at it, is this a good deal on one of these cabs for $300? And should I think about replacing the bottom Black Shadows with an EV?

Thanks!

Everything you need to know about cabinets, impedence and matching is in the Dual Rectifier manual in the .PDF document pages 26-31.

Yes, it's not your amp, but it is a full schooling on matching and wiring.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/2chRecto.pdf

Latest posts

Back