Mark. III & V30 speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robredo_mattila

Reaction score
Anyone using V30s with their Mk.III ? I might be about to pull the trigger one a [new] Randall 4x12" V30 cab with metal grille, I've heard it before with my friends 3CH DR and it sounds awesome. Just wondering what the general consensus was regarding the mk. 3 and V30s?

Some guys like them, but I find they make the upper midrange really piercing and the cleans really "plinky". V30s are good with DRs and other "modern" amps because they tighten up goofy amounts of bass, which the Mark III doesn't really have.

Well, my favourite speaker with a Mark is the EVM, without a doubt. That said, the 2x12 cab I have with V30's in it sounds _good_ with my Mk. III, but different. It's a little less efficient/loud sounding to me, with less on the top and the bottom. V30's would probably be a good choice if you focus on more of a classic rock sound than either super clean or super heavy sounds.

The only really important thing though, is that you said you've tried it and liked it.

If you think you could unload it for at least what you pay, I'd say go for it. "Off" brand cabs like Rnadall, Crate, etc. tend to be a little hard to move in my experience than similarly equipped Marshall cabs.

I run mine thru a recto 2X12 and I love it.
I also have an Avatar Cab with C90's in it and at loud volume those speakers sound better than the v30's
but at lower volumes I find the V30's are better sounding (IMO).
so If I was gigging with it I'd go with the C90's but I'm not at the moment so the Recto cab gets more use (they sound pretty good together blended as well). :D

There's something to the age old practice of running a Mark through a combo of V30 and EV. I have come back to that in the last year after buying one of Steve Miller's custom Mesa 1x15 EV cabs at a local store. I run it on top of a Recto 2x12 or 4x12 depending on the need and it sounds HA-UGE! The EV 1x15 is open back and the recto is closed.

DSC00465.jpg

i play my mark iii head through an avatar 4x12 with vintage 30's and i think it sounds great. i haven't experimented too much with different speakers because i find vintage 30's to be a pretty good all around speaker.

I run my Mk III Simul head through a Marshall 1960AV cab, I think it's a good combination. I like them better than the G12t-75 loaded cabs. I've thought about criss-crossing with a couple of C-90's someday, to see how that would sound...

CoG said:
Some guys like them, but I find they make the upper midrange really piercing and the cleans really "plinky". V30s are good with DRs and other "modern" amps because they tighten up goofy amounts of bass, which the Mark III doesn't really have.
+1

if you really like the scooped celestion sound, try t-100's.

I upgraded my 1960A cab to a mesa traditional cab, so i'm playing my mark III now with 4 V30s.

The V30s have way more mids, and are a lot warmer than the G12-75's.

They cut through a lot better in a band situation.

kmanick said:
I run mine thru a recto 2X12 and I love it.

Same here, the vertical variety. I was thinking of pulling one of the V30s and putting something else in its place, but when I heard how well it sat in a band mix I decided to leave it alone.

I'm not real fond of my Mark III through v30s. I did try it through my VHT D412 w/ P50E speakers the other day and it sounded beastly

Latest posts

Back