mark III switching and tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Tone

Reaction score
I have read a lot on this board about getting a clean sound first and then shaping the lead with the graphic eq. Do any of you guys wish you could it the other way? Use the graphic for the clean and not for the lead. I think I do. I am not going for a scoop metal type sound but a more Allan Holdsworth-like lead (which needs to be thick and dark) and clear Eric Johnson type clean tone (which of course is bright and chimey). I may have to get one of those pedals made like I saw on here recently where the option for turning on the eq with the clean simultaneously was available.

Any other options or custom switching ideas..?

The Graphic comes after the pre-amp and tone controls in the signal chain.
Once you dial in a thick and dark lead tone with the knobs, you'll be hard-pressed to get it back to bright and chimey clean just using the Graphic.
The Mark III is virtually designed to do it the other way: chimey cleans, with the post-distortion lead sounds modified with the Graphic to achieve the "dark side".
Having said that, using the Graphic on clean sounds can give a good "fake acoustic" tone, when you scoop the mids to taste.
As far as switching goes, I've never had a problem positioning foot switches so I could hit two simultaneously, e.g., Lead and Graphic.
Keep the Graphic on with the foot switch. When you hit both it and the Lead, you switch the lead ON and the Graphic OFF.

MrMarkIII said:
The Graphic comes after the pre-amp and tone controls in the signal chain.
Once you dial in a thick and dark lead tone with the knobs, you'll be hard-pressed to get it back to bright and chimey clean just using the Graphic.
The Mark III is virtually designed to do it the other way: chimey cleans, with the post-distortion lead sounds modified with the Graphic to achieve the "dark side".
Having said that, using the Graphic on clean sounds can give a good "fake acoustic" tone, when you scoop the mids to taste.
As far as switching goes, I've never had a problem positioning foot switches so I could hit two simultaneously, e.g., Lead and Graphic.
Keep the Graphic on with the foot switch. When you hit both it and the Lead, you switch the lead ON and the Graphic OFF.

Thanks for the reply. I will experiment some more, I just wanted to get everyone's take on it.

Latest posts

Back